• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tony Dean, ya just gotta love him!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Liberty Belle

Reaction score
Why all the Hassle West of the River?

To those who wonder why a group of ranchers in western South Dakota continue to try to create a lockout, take a look at recent history. And when doing so, remember that their mission statement strongly indicates that in spite of the "property rights" rhetoric, the underlying thing is wanting to sell licenses direct to potential fee-paying hunters.

South Dakota has had great pheasant numbers since the early 1990's, the best in fact, since the soil bank days. Not surprisingly, the free market being what it is, many landowners, have done well financially under the fee system.

Things haven't gone as well for ranchers, especially smaller ones.

And there might be some jealousy involved. Thus ranchers want to get into the fee hunting business.

But, what have they to offer? On my most recent trips west, along Hiways 34 and I-90, I've seen pastures that resemble billiard tables. Yes, I know we're in the middle of a drought, but I've made those same trips many times over the last 30 years, and some of the ranches always look that way. Overgrazed pastures aren't much better for deer or antelope than they are for grazing livestock.

Besides, many ranchers claim they're feeding all the deer and antelope, overlooking that (if you read history) those species were doing better before the ranchers came along. Not to mention elk, buffalo and even grizzly bears and gray wolves.

Some mule deer,some whitetails, and depending on the previous winter, some antelope do manage to survive what's left on the table for them. And that's a good name for what some of those pastures resemble.

But while South Dakota bird hunting and fishing stacks up with the best in the nation, our big game hunting does not.
We have some trophy mule deer out there, some whitetails in a few areas, and the last big antelope buck I saw was taken by my wife at Custer State Park over 25 years ago.

Couple these facts with another one. There are many more potential pheasant hunters out there because South Dakota is clearly the best pheasant hunting state. And think of what upland hunters have to choose from. Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, eastern Montana, North Dakota ... and South Dakota. Those are the last of the great bird hunting states and when you get to the Dakotas and eastern Montana, along with the Sandhills of Nebraska, you're in the last of the best.

When it comes to sheer numbers of pheasants, picking the right state is a no brainer.

But for deer, hell, whitetails are everywhere these days, and MANY states offer better trophy opportunities, such as Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, etc.

So those ranchers envisioning big paydays from big game hunting should face reality...or move to Montana and Wyoming where the opportunities are better.

Because the reality is, there aren't as many sportsmen willing to travel to South Dakota for our limited number of trophy heads...as there are pheasant hunters who are often amazed at our sheer numbers of birds.

And because the ranchers leading the charge say they want to work with hunters, though their rhetoric and actions say otherwise, they won't be able to expect much help from South Dakota sportsmen.

Yes, I know, some sportsmen are ranchers, and vice-versa, but the vast majority of South Dakota landowners are neither anti-sportsmen or anti-Game, Fish & Parks.

The vast majority of landowners are decent, honorable people and they aren't trying to change every SD law that stands in the way of further commercializing big game hunting.

And it isn't the vast number of landowners that always try to get the GFP budget lumped into the general fund, in spite of the fact it's all license dollars. Nor do they scream about open fields and property rights.

I've written before that the lockout is a joke. Most of that land wasn't open to most hunters to begin with, and without the curb of hunting, once some pastures start growing, so will deer numbers. And sooner or later, individual landowners will have to face individual decisions.

"Why all the Hassle West of the River? "
Because I am tired of GFP walking all over us and making a living off from us and giving nothing back.

"To those who wonder why a group of ranchers in western South Dakota continue to try to create a lockout, take a look at recent history. And when doing so, remember that their mission statement strongly indicates that in spite of the "property rights" rhetoric, the underlying thing is wanting to sell licenses direct to potential fee-paying hunters."

BS. I want GF&P to recognize that most of the land is privetly owned in SD and we landowners provide all the feed and water for the wildlife. I can charge now for hunters if I choose.

"Besides, many ranchers claim they're feeding all the deer and antelope, overlooking that (if you read history) those species were doing better before the ranchers came along. Not to mention elk, buffalo and even grizzly bears and gray wolves. "

More BS. We have more deer and antelope now than ever. We may have fewer grizzlies, elk, buffalo and wolves, but I think that was someone elses fault. Not the ranchers who live here now.

"Some mule deer,some whitetails, and depending on the previous winter, some antelope do manage to survive what's left on the table for them. And that's a good name for what some of those pastures resemble. "

Yes the grass is short, but it's growing. I'd like to see Tony make a living out here year after year. He might learn a few things that he doesn't have any understanding of now.

"But while South Dakota bird hunting and fishing stacks up with the best in the nation, our big game hunting does not.
We have some trophy mule deer out there, some whitetails in a few areas, and the last big antelope buck I saw was taken by my wife at Custer State Park over 25 years ago."

I kept hunters from shooting bucks for 6 years and the increase in antler size was outstanding! We can have big bucks if hunters will quit shooting all of the young bucks. Just because they have antlers doesn't make them a "wall hanger"! If hunters were educated maybe they'd shoot some does for a couple of years in order for the younger bucks to get some size and antler spread to them. Most want to shoot any buck that passes and hope for a bigger one next year.

"But for deer, hell, whitetails are everywhere these days, and MANY states offer better trophy opportunities, such as Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, etc."

Because of better feed and protection from hunters. It's a lot harder to get a smart old buck when he has trees to hide in or a fence, a quarter of a mile away to jump over onto non- huntable land, thus eluding the hunter.

"So those ranchers envisioning big paydays from big game hunting should face reality...or move to Montana and Wyoming where the opportunities are better."

So if I don't like the way things are here, where my family has made a living for well over 100 years, I should just leave. It's a good thing our ancestors didn't feel this way or they would have given up and let the British win!

"Because the reality is, there aren't as many sportsmen willing to travel to South Dakota for our limited number of trophy heads...as there are pheasant hunters who are often amazed at our sheer numbers of birds. "

If we had trophy's you can bet they'd come. Where there are good bucks in this state hunters come from a long way. And pay a lot for the privledge of a chance at a nice buck.

"And because the ranchers leading the charge say they want to work with hunters, though their rhetoric and actions say otherwise, they won't be able to expect much help from South Dakota sportsmen."

When the sportsman see that they have few places left to hunt and start to find out that the law is against their rights also, I think that they will back the landowners. Most hunters are landowners also.

"Yes, I know, some sportsmen are ranchers, and vice-versa, but the vast majority of South Dakota landowners are neither anti-sportsmen or anti-Game, Fish & Parks. "

I am not anti-sportsman or anti-GF&P, I just don't like having my rights trampled by a bunch of political thugs who I pay. I have had good relationships with ever Game Warden we have ever had.

"I've written before that the lockout is a joke. Most of that land wasn't open to most hunters to begin with, and without the curb of hunting, once some pastures start growing, so will deer numbers. And sooner or later, individual landowners will have to face individual decisions."

All of my life we allowed hunting. My Dad would let anyone and everyone who showed up the right to hunt. I stopped the hunting of bucks for 6 years, but never turned anyone down who wanted to hunt, as long as they shot only does. It's amazing how many hunter claim to do it for meat, but don't want to shoot a doe. This past year, my neighbor made all of his hunters with double tags, shoot a doe before he allowed them to shoot a buck. Seemed like a good idea. Let the deer come, I have dealt with them in the past and would rather put up with deer than with slob hunters.

Tony Dean seems to be a whiney little man who probably has no place to hunt for free! Like he didn't have buy a gun or shells or an outfit to drive to the killing fields! He probably doesn't own any land to run game on so wants what all property owners have without having to sweat or work for it. Poor little feller. :cry: Maybe he should start paying all of the land taxes on the private land, then he could hunt wherever he chose. Maybe he ought to call Ted Turner and see if he can hunt on him. Or if anyone else can! Hey Tony, get a life and leave me and my land alone!

Latest posts