• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

too old to even want to manage

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I looked at their map. The ranch sort of wraps around Farson. Been through there a time or two. I always figured they named the place Farson because, son this place is far from anything.

biggest ice cream cones at the store there, there some great fishing in that country too
I've had an ice cream cone at the Farson store myself. Good ice cream. Went to a wedding at that little Farson church too. Had half a Buffalo on a spit and made some mighty fine eating.

Desert Rat like you would probably manage it pretty well. And we could pay you the same and you get a raise just moving to wyoming with no food tax, no income tax, and lower sales tax.
The sales tax is the only drawback to Wyoming. Here in the rural ranching state of Eastern Oregon (not to be confused with Western Oregon) we have no sales tax or food tax and we hear the rumor about an income tax, but since we don't know about making incomes, we consider ourselves tax-free :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

P.S. We do get bent over at the gas pump but at least we have attendant service so we don't self-inflict such abuse, well except for the keylock folks. I am still peeved that Washington no longer honors our sales-tax-free status at the register. No one, unless a big purchase, does all the paperwork required in order to get back their illegally confiscated money. :mad:

2 houses 2 bunk houses, wonder how many sheep camp wagons, ranch sounds like lot of saddle time for the hands.
It sounds like the perfect place for me. Just the ranch I have been seeking. I am headed up to the Big Money Mountain Breaks to round up my herd of cash cows. I am gonna mask up for this ride and oil up my pair of 45 big irons. A girl must make a good first impression.

It wasn't the 3 bands of sheep that impressed me or the 1K brood cows or horses by the dozens, but the 400 goats caused me to yell sold! If I can have not just 1 but 400 goats, I am excited. I am troubled however by no mention of all the dogs required to protect the sheep (that is a lot of Alpo daily) and the cost of wages to Basque shepherds. I think maybe a full-time on-site ranch vet would also be necessary.

If you are looking for a big ranch and have all that cash burdening you, consider Eastern Oregon. You can even become Webfoot's neighbor for a paltry 6.9 million. Your address would be Hereford, Oregon, but there is no law against raising Angus or any other breed if you so desired. :)

UPDATE: Heartbreaking I know, but the Hereford Oregon Burnt River ranch recently sold. Sorry to get all of you excited. Also, the John Day River ranch was recently sold. I had been on both ranches 40 years ago.

Last edited:
The sales tax is the only drawback to Wyoming. Here in the rural ranching state of Eastern Oregon (not to be confused with Western Oregon) we have no sales tax or food tax and we hear the rumor about an income tax, but since we don't know about making incomes, we consider ourselves tax-free :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

P.S. We do get bent over at the gas pump but at least we have attendant service so we don't self-inflict such abuse, well except for the keylock folks. I am still peeved that Washington no longer honors our sales-tax-free status at the register. No one, unless a big purchase, does all the paperwork required in order to get back their illegally confiscated money. :mad:
Well those of us (you) who live in highly populated areas still have full service at the gas pump. About 4 years ago they passed a law allowing stations in lower population counties to go to self service. Only one of the 7 stations in Baker has an attendant. The other 6 are self serve.

If that Hereford ranch is the one I m thinking of I know some of the people involved. A big family. Some are my neighbors. The majority are not ranch people wanted the money and are selling off the land. A nephew was living on the ranch and operating it. It sold and he bought a much smaller place over by Baker and is working for one of my neighbors. He was at the branding on Thursday and I helped him drive some cows up the canyon yesterday.

Well those of us (you) who live in highly populated areas still have full service at the gas pump. About 4 years ago they passed a law allowing stations in lower population counties to go to self service. Only one of the 7 stations in Baker has an attendant. The other 6 are self serve.

If that Hereford ranch is the one I m thinking of I know some of the people involved. A big family. Some are my neighbors. The majority are not ranch people wanted the money and are selling off the land. A nephew was living on the ranch and operating it. It sold and he bought a much smaller place over by Baker and is working for one of my neighbors. He was at the branding on Thursday and I helped him drive some cows up the canyon yesterday.

If I remember right, this same pickup was parked in this same spot back in the 80s. It seems it was 2 or 3 places down on Burnt River Road from the Dooley Mtn. Hwy (old John Day Stage) HWY 245 and Burnt River junction.

home-place-oregon-hereford-burnt-river-ranch-1536x1152.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts