• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Took a Drive

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
The wife said lets take a drive over the Malhuer City. That is an old gold mining town from the 1870's or I should say the site of. The ghost town burned up in a range fire back in 1957. There is a well maintained cemetery with green mowed grass out in the middle of nowhere. So this stone structure is all that is left of town. You get the idea of middle of no where. Gathering cows here you better have a horse who can travel. There is this little newer building about a quarter mile west of the cemetery about 100 yards off the road. I figured someone built a little cabin for what ever reason. Teh wife asked me what it is. I jokingly said it is the Malhuer City Convention Center. Little did I know. It even has modern plumbing. Well modern for 1870 when town was built here. The wife claims the facilities work well.

Attachments

• P5082515.JPG
    P5082515.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 42
  • P5082516.JPG
    P5082516.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 38
  • P5082519.JPG
    P5082519.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 40
  • P5082518.JPG
    P5082518.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 39
  • P5082521.JPG
    P5082521.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 41
You saw how middle of no where Malheur City is. This is the cemetery. I don't think there isn't a single house within 10 miles.

hmmmm..... I just noticed the double negative.

Attachments

• P9041585.JPG
    P9041585.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
South and east it looks like that. About the same distance northwest and it looks like this. We are on the eastern edge of the Blue Mountains. Only trees on my place are cottonwoods along the river and Junipers. About 6 miles in the right direction I can be in big Douglas Fir and Ponderous Pine.

Attachments

• P7062037.JPG
    P7062037.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 30
South and east it looks like that. About the same distance northwest and it looks like this. We are on the eastern edge of the Blue Mountains. Only trees on my place are cottonwoods along the river and Junipers. About 6 miles in the right direction I can be in big Douglas Fir and Ponderous Pine.
I would like that!
We are similar. Plains to the east, mountains to the west.
When we lived in SW Mt it took some getting used to mountains all around.
I was glad when I could see again. But then I got used to the mountains all around,
but we came back to WY it was mountains on the west, plains on the east.

Nice photos Webfoot. Thanks for sharing. Brings back memories. Malheur County was named from the French word malheur that means tragedy or misfortune. It is the second-largest county in Oregon, with its neighbor Harney as the largest. I think Harney is bigger than 6 states. One year I made a drive from the North end of Malheur to the south and Nevada border and then across to Harney and then headed North up, Harney. The population is low and a lot of distance between ranches but a very intriguing part of the state. The historical Whitehorse Ranch is there. Much of the travel is gravel roads.

Last edited:
I have to a long way from my place to find Douglas fir and Ponderosa's. You have to go west and i have to go east. But we do have plenty of gravel and dirt roads. I can leave my place and travel deep into Nevada without ever being on a paved road. I've made 250 mile loops and kicked up dust the whole trip. Pavement tends to encourage the public and i'm not much of a public fan.

I have to a long way from my place to find Douglas fir and Ponderosa's. You have to go west and i have to go east. But we do have plenty of gravel and dirt roads. I can leave my place and travel deep into Nevada without ever being on a paved road. I've made 250 mile loops and kicked up dust the whole trip. Pavement tends to encourage the public and i'm not much of a public fan.
Which brings me to ask you, have you ever read "the people who live at the end of dirt roads"? It's really good. By Lee Pitts. It's not very big, we have it and I have to re-read it every once in awhile.

P.S. I just noticed a HUGE error on the price. 😲

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It is a gravel road I live on. I could drive from here to Nevada and only cross two paved roads. Just pull out the driveway and turn left.

Latest posts