• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

TRACKING RITA

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I've gotten all the things together that I think I'd wanna save (just in case) We aren't planning on leavin since we are 100 miles inland. But if things do look like they are gonna be ruffer than we wanna ride out, I gathered allllllll my pictures, photo albums, family videos, birth certificates, social security cards, and my genealogy stuff. I'm sure hubby will wanna round up some guns, he's tunin up the generater right now gettin it ready. That way we'll be able to hook it to the well and at least pump up some water then switch it back to the freezer to keep that stuff cold. So far our schools haven't called school off but I'm not letting my oldest drive to college station (40 miles) tomorrow for college classes. Nothins due in and there's just way too much traffic to hafta worry about him out there too. Looks like the lil gal will get to stay home from school this friday for sure. Talk about an education......hurricane education (Yuck)

I said all, but that's not really true, there'll be things such as grannys old treadle sewin machine and great grannies also that I won't be able to load up. But hopefully won't have to leave. I finally heard what kinda winds we can expect, 50 to 60 mph or so, give or take, and LOTS of rain I'm sure.
Thanks for all your prayers, we're gonna need em. More so where ever this thing actually makes landfall. They got my prayers too.

Here's Rita as of 11:56 pm Wednesday night
rita9-21-05.jpg

Ok somethin strange is goin on, haymaker katrina that you posted in august, and rita that is happening now, Im findin the same radar image.
What's goin on?

After searching the internet for a satellite image of katrina, I finally found one, I was just wanting to compare the two. So I thought after all that lookin I might as well post what i found.

this is katrina August 22
Katrina.jpg

Haymaker, Lily and TX Tibbs,

What towns/areas are you all in? Want to keep track of you on the weather map.
Stay safe. Sounds like Lily has taken as many precautions as one can think of. God bless.

nr said:

Stay safe. Sounds like Lily has taken as many precautions as one can think of. God bless.

IM north of san antonio nr, the worst case senario for me would be the storm make landfall at corpus,thanks for the concern but IM pretty far inland,tornadoes is what I watch real close and as you know there aint much warning on those,they just drop outa the clouds................good luck ps might be gone a few days if they need help running cows up in southTX

HAY MAKER said:
nr said:

IM north of san antonio nr, the worst case senario for me would be the storm make landfall at corpus,thanks for the concern but IM pretty far inland,tornadoes is what I watch real close and as you know there aint much warning on those,they just drop outa the clouds................good luck ps might be gone a few days if they need help running cows up in southTX

Leave to a old outlaw to go rustling cows during a bad storm. Don't get your walker stuck in the mud and be careful, I don't want to have to break someone else in to pick on. :wink: :cowboy:

HAY MAKER said:
Well Katrina tore up all the oil rigs on the Louisianna coast,now I guess Rita can get the one's on the TX coast,look for gas prices to rise even more?.................good luck

Gas at 1 service station in Chatham (way down in Southern Ontario, just north-east of Detriot, Mi.) hit $1.79/litre yesterday.

That would be $8.26 a US gallon in US $.

Gouging a bit too deep, maybe?

Maple Leaf Angus said:
HAY MAKER said:
Well Katrina tore up all the oil rigs on the Louisianna coast,now I guess Rita can get the one's on the TX coast,look for gas prices to rise even more?.................good luck

Gas at 1 service station in Chatham (way down in Southern Ontario, just north-east of Detriot, Mi.) hit $1.79/litre yesterday.

That would be $8.26 a US gallon in US $.

Gouging a bit too deep, maybe?

Maybe this will hurry up Canada's conversion of tar sand to oil? $8.26/gal yikes! :shock:

Just finished bringing a friend's herd up from just north of Galveston. He isn't taking any chances and getting out while he can. Took my place, my son's place and a couple of neighbors places to hold all his herfords. Mighty nice looking group. Maybe, when this is over, I can convince him to just leave a few behind. It's only fair since they are eating up all my hay :) . Moved him and his family into my son's house after just getting it repaired from the Katrina "displaced lazy slobs" that tore it up while they were there. Since we know him and his family, don't believe we will have to go through that again.

Casa Paloma, We just got calves in from the Anahauc area Sunday. The rep called us yesterday and said if the storm hits there, the pastures where our calves came from, will be under water. I didn't realize Anahauc was that close to the gulf. Take care!!

I think if I lived in that tornado country of Ks, Ok, Texas I'd have me a good root/storm cellar-- Keep it well stocked- extra fifth or two so you could ride out the longest of storms :wink: .....

Storm cellars work in the western part of texas and oklahoma, but here in deep south east texas our water tables are so high, some 12 to 15 ft to water, that storm cellars or basements would just fill up with water. We have a hand dug well in the yard, it's only 12 feet deep, then the ground slopes down into the pasture and it stays wet and muddy for a long time because when we have alot of rain water just seeps out of the ground, not quite a spring, but almost.
The well was dug by hubby's grandad back in the early 50s. Has a rope and a baler that you pull water up in. you can do that 4 or 5 times and the waters clear. I wouldnt want to drink that water, but if worse came to worse, I guess you could boil it for drinking water.

Last night hubby got out the generator and made sure it would run. He was down at the shop for an hour or so, came home around 9:30 and said, "The daggum thang runs like a top, purs like a kitten, but it dont make any electricity" The armitures(sp) need cleaned he said, so father in law just came by a while ago, and is goin down there to see if he can do that, since hubby is havin to work today. Most likely he won't have to go in tomorrow, They'll lock all the prisoners in their cell and work with a skeleton crew.

Oldtimer, when I moved here a couple of years ago I bought me one of those reinforced fiberglass dohickies to bury in the yard. It holds up to 6 people comfortably - that's what the brochure said, anyway. Well, I planted it and the first rain came and it just floated back up to the surface. Guess we could still just load up in it with a couple of fifths and come corn liquor for reserve and just see how far the wind would blow it. With enough of the corn liquor aboard, you would never notice the bouncing around. Who knows? I just might be visiting you by the time that thing stopped rolling.

I have a sister in Houston, I guess she'll be stuck on some highway trying to get out of the city. I pity her, my 2 neices and nephew will sure make it an eventful and noisy trip. I've heard some have been on the highway for 10-12 hours and have travelled less than 100 miles.

I know you all are keepin an eye on the television watching rita, all those folks that ran out of gas on the freeways, and they are saying now that they have tankers coming, but they dont know from where. I talked to my brother last evening in west texas, Midland/Odessa area, he said that they had tankers filling up and headin out this was as we spoke. But that's a 600 mile drive. so if they traveled all night they should be getting to some of those folks perdy quick this mornin. Just thought I'd let ya'll know. They also said alot of people are just turnin around and goin back home as they think they would be safer in their home than in there car sittin on a freeway. I've always said I'd never live in houston, now I know exactly why. Also found out that I have a niece in Houston that just recently decided to go to college there, they had talked to her and she and her room mate weren't even gonna try to leave.
Yesterday evening when I hauled water out to my heifers in the lot, The traffic was heavier through our lil town than it was yesterday morning.
Last night they said traffic was moving on the freeways an average of .4 tenths of a mile an hour, you can walk faster than that. :?

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
I know you all are keepin an eye on the television watching rita, all those folks that ran out of gas on the freeways, and they are saying now that they have tankers coming, but they dont know from where. I talked to my brother last evening in west texas, Midland/Odessa area, he said that they had tankers filling up and headin out this was as we spoke. But that's a 600 mile drive. so if they traveled all night they should be getting to some of those folks perdy quick this mornin. Just thought I'd let ya'll know. They also said alot of people are just turnin around and goin back home as they think they would be safer in their home than in there car sittin on a freeway. I've always said I'd never live in houston, now I know exactly why. Also found out that I have a niece in Houston that just recently decided to go to college there, they had talked to her and she and her room mate weren't even gonna try to leave.
Yesterday evening when I hauled water out to my heifers in the lot, The traffic was heavier through our lil town than it was yesterday morning.
Last night they said traffic was moving on the freeways an average of .4 tenths of a mile an hour, you can walk faster than that. :?

Just saw your Huntsville area shown on tv this AM and thinking about you and yours, Lily.
Later the tv hosts interviewed one of their reporters who has been stuck in that interstate traffic overnight and only moved 60 miles. They asked her if she's running out of gas and she said confidently: "I'm going to call my son and tell him what mile marker I'm at and he's going to bring me gas." :shock: :roll: The tv hosts asked how he planned on GETTING to her car then hurridly switched to another topic. Poor woman is probably half brain-dead from car fumes. I can't imagine how folks are coping with a car full of kids...

You Texas posters please keep your heads down or better yet take a vacation. I have room for a few extra horses or cows if some of you need it.
My prayers are with you.

All of ours are. Hope it turns out OK. :!:

Casa, maybe you could take that fiberglass dohickie and leave it at ground level covered with a big pile of dirt? Turn it into a hunker down bunker. :?

Make it a really big pile of dirt though. Then you could use it as a ski hill if the weather gets really wierd. :lol:

Latest posts