• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tractors are starting to roll

Help Support Ranchers.net:

feeder

Reaction score
A few farmers are starting to roll around here. We have fertilizer spoken for Thursday afternoon. That will make me a happy camper!!!

My buddy back there by Cherokee has been cussing all the mud. He's been trying to calve in a bad situation and havin' hell. Claim's this is the last year he will calve in mud in Iowa. Now, if he can just find a ranch he can afford, further west in dry country, he'll be happy for a year or two. :wink:

Our snow has just melted off the last few days going to start discing this weekend if it does'nt rain to much.I did quite a bit of fall tillage last year so that will lighten my spring workload.We do have alot of rock to pick on some new alfalfa ground.The one sure crop here is rocks.

I finished planting my wheat yesterday and have most of my ground that I'm planting down to hay ready for seed also. What a difference a year makes. There will be no tractor driving today as it is forty one and raining.

drug the field cultivator around yesterday, gonna try out one of the new toys today.... got a 16 row CCS planter! very intimidating, bet the neighbors are gonna crap their pants! had it hid in a shed for two months....

The ground here is being worked finally. A lot of anhydrous going on, a lot of discing and field cultivating going on and some folks are planting, but not corn yet.. I would imagine we will see them rolling next week. We were close to 80 yesterday so that helps get the soil warm. We should be planting some hay mix on Thursday, need to get it in before it rains.. Need to deep disk the field hwoever as it is our winter cow ground as well...

Bless you Denny with the rocks. I hate rocks. We have a field we farm that has rocks, I cuss it every year. Jinglebob, I feel for your friend. We went through a bunch of bedding to keep the calves dry. It was rough around here with all the wet,cold weather.

GrandPa would put us kids out to pickin' rocks in the fields every spring. We'd complain and say that we just went over this same field last fall and where did all these NEW rocks come from?

He told us that they move underground at nite and come back to their home nest!! :shock: :shock: :wink:

And of course we believed him cause GrandPa said it!!!

No till drill is on the way. We will be seeding pastures and some hayfields.
Got a sale on this week. Cockleburr seeds and landscape rocks.
Real cheap, bring your truck. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Won't be happening around here for a while yet,rain followed by heavy snow is forecasted for today :(

Denny said:
Our snow has just melted off the last few days going to start discing this weekend if it does'nt rain to much.I did quite a bit of fall tillage last year so that will lighten my spring workload.We do have alot of rock to pick on some new alfalfa ground.The one sure crop here is rocks.

Denny why don't you build yourself a roller. It works great for pushing the rocks in and smooths the feilds out that you can maybe even travel a little faster if not only a smoother ride.
lots of big wing types custom build up here but friends of mine had a 14 foot one they built at home and it worked just fine.

Jigs, Hubby says when you're done with that planter to bring it up so he can use it,, :D :D :wink: Maybe we can cheapen it up....... :wink: :wink: :p

you lucky dog, you....... :nod: :idea:

feeder said:
BMR, what size rocks will those rollers push in the ground?

There are a few different styles of rollers. I see some to 50 feet wide. three sections. Some of the home built one are 14 feet wide. Some also can be filled with water. Since I have only used one once I am far from an expert but have heard some depends on how fast your traveling and how soft the ground is when it is rolled. I think all pea and lentil ground is rolled up here as they are very short crops cut on the groung. Many silage crews only want to work on rolled ground. We are light soiled around here so have to watch for blowingas it does break up the lumps.
I think on the hay ground that I rolled pushed melon size rocks in. Some guys roll their hay ground every year. I don't.

Thanks BMR. I would like to rent one to see what it could do, we'll have to see.

feeder said:
Thanks BMR. I would like to rent one to see what it could do, we'll have to see.

I think lots of them are rented up here. Most people don't need one for very long as the bigger ones cover the ground pretty fast. Some people have gone together to buy one and some buy one and rent it out all spring.

Latest posts