• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tragic event

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
A young police officer from our local detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police was shot and killed near here this morning. He was responding to a call involving a 70 year old man who was shot and critically wounded in an ensuing gun battle with backup officers.

I met and had a conversation with the officer several weeks ago at a church service where I was a visitor. He ran the sound booth at the church.

He leaves behind a young widow and 3 small children. He was only 37 years old and had been with the O.P.P. for 15 years. He came from Vietnam and trained here to join the O.P.P.

So sad that a fine young cop dies so senselessly because of a deranged, head-shooting, old man.

You might say a prayer for the grieving family of Constable Vu Pham .

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/776673--opp-officer-dies-after-shooting?bn=1

Had coffee last night with a friend of mine who went to the same church as Vu.

As an 8 year old, Vu was one of the thousands of "boat people" who came to Canada to escape the violence in Vietnam. His dad was killed in the war or following insurrection.

So, as a child he made a new start in a small town not too far from here. He was raised by a family who runs a fairly large feed mill in this area. I know at the time that MCC (Mennonite Church of Canada) had a strong initiative going to help the immigrant Vietnamese and may have had a hand in his initial placement here.

In another strange twist of fate, a woman named Yvonne Martin took a strong interest and guiding hand in his young "refugee" life. Yvonne was killed in the earthquake that smashed Haiti 2 months ago. As a retired nurse who made frequent medical aid trips to Haiti, she had just arrived there before the quake hit. Vu saw Yvonne as his mother.

So much loss and tragedy in such a young life. Yet, he was seen as an quietly outgoing, well-adjusted, giving young man who played a big role in his work, church and the local boy's hockey league of which his 3 sons were a part.

His untimely death leaves a big hole in his family and in the community.

Sending prayers to family and friends. Its always heartbreaking when those who are sworn to protect the public are lost in the line of duty.

Wow. What a funeral service.

I never saw so many police in one place before. Reports, as the one attached, say up to 8000 cops from all over Canada.

So our little town was a solid sea of police today.

So sad.

When the funeral procession went by the corner where I stood, the little faces of the 3 sons of Constable Pham peered out the windows of the limo while they waved at the crowds lined up on the sidewalks.

Lotsa tears today.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2677197

Big Muddy rancher said:
I heard about the funeral on our local news today as well. Was the shooting Near Seaforth?

I also heard the shooter died today.

It happened just ten minutes north of Seaforth.

The shooter was taken off of life support and died late yesterday.

There will be some deep pain in his surviving family as well.

The officer's widow, Mrs. Pham, gave a powerful and highly emotional yet steady tribute to her deceased husband - they were each others whole world, she said. While he wasn't perfect, in her words, he was the best possible dad to their three sons.

Each of those 3 boys, aged from 7 to 12 years, gave a moving tribute and collection of favorite memories to their dad. Lotsa powerful emotions evoked there.

She said she often thought about this unpleasant possibility and had nightmares about this happening but nothing could prepare her for it when it actually did happen.

She showed amazing character when she spoke of the need to forgive those who caused the pain. Said she would do all that she is humanly capable of doing but would need God's help to forgive as she must, or something to that effect.

For as quiet a man as he was, he sure left a huge, positive impression on the community.

The country buried a rare and good policemen today.

That is a sad deal alright.

It is amazing the strength shown by some who have lost so much. My sister in law was a rock when her son died last week. I hope we can be there for her when she needs us.

I have a cousin that was a high school teacher in Seaforth. If you ever had him you probably didn't like him. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts