• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Trail Ride Pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
A little horse trip we took in 2006.

We camped by Fisher Tower east of Moab Ut. If you look really close, you can see a man on the top of the tower. Actually there were two men up there. (Overcast days and cheap cameras don't make for good pictures)

2006-04-01108.jpg

Beautiful red rock country for an April ride.

2006-04-01024copyjpg.jpg

2006-04-01022.jpg

We were headed for a place called Onion Creek. Nice country, but a long way. Twenty two miles by the end of the day.

2006-04-01048.jpg

2006-04-01042.jpg

Lunch break is a welcome break, for both horse and rider.
2006-04-01041.jpg

I took my son along to make sure I didn't get lost.

2006-04-01067.jpg

This is what we were looking for.
2006-04-01082.jpg

2006-04-01083.jpg

Heading back to camp.
2006-04-01100.jpg

2006-04-01095.jpg

By the end of the day there wasn't much talking going on and the scenery didn't look near so great. It was just a matter of toughin' it out until we got to camp.

Great pictures. As long as you were all still speaking to each other, there is nothing like a long hard ride to allow you to sleep good that night. :wink:

It is very pretty country around Moab, and several of John Wayne's movies were shot in that location. Peach and I and our three kids traveled through Moab when we went to the Grand Canyon in November of 1997. We rode mules to the bottom of the Canyon, and spent the night at the Phantom Ranch before riding back out again the next day. Great trip and great memories. Thanks for your pictures.

Soapweed said:
Great pictures. As long as you were all still speaking to each other, there is nothing like a long hard ride to allow you to sleep good that night. :wink:

It is very pretty country around Moab, and several of John Wayne's movies were shot in that location. Peach and I and our three kids traveled through Moab when we went to the Grand Canyon in November of 1997. We rode mules to the bottom of the Canyon, and spent the night at the Phantom Ranch before riding back out again the next day. Great trip and great memories. Thanks for your pictures.

Moab, Monument Valley and Kanab are all favorites for those old cowboy movie makers. Being raised in Northern Utah, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I first saw all that red rock country.

Those mules you rode to the Phantom Ranch probably belonged to a man named Pete Mangum. I sold him 100 nylon halters years ago when I was selling Horse Tack. He runs trail rides in Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion Canyon. We ran into a bunch of his mules wintering on the Arizona Strip on year when we were trailing cows. I always wanted to see the Phantom Ranch, It's on my bucket list.

CooperRedCanyon15thNov04024.jpg

CooperRedCanyon15thNov04025-1.jpg

CooperRedCanyon15thNov04026.jpg

Did you see the mule you rode ?

:D :D

mustang said:
Soapweed said:

Moab, Monument Valley and Kanab are all favorites for those old cowboy movie makers. Being raised in Northern Utah, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I first saw all that red rock country.

Those mules you rode to the Phantom Ranch probably belonged to a man named Pete Mangum. I sold him 100 nylon halters years ago when I was selling Horse Tack. He runs trail rides in Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion Canyon. We ran into a bunch of his mules wintering on the Arizona Strip on year when we were trailing cows. I always wanted to see the Phantom Ranch, It's on my bucket list.

Did you see the mule you rode ?

:D :D

None of the ones in your pictures are tall enough to be the one I rode. She was all of 17 hands high, and had a habit of stumbling badly and often. It kind of made me nervous, considering the trails we were riding and the possible distance one could fall if things went real haywire. :? :wink:

Latest posts