• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Trailer mounted well boring machine

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Brother and I pounded a well inside and in the corner of a barn with a 16lb post maul and a ratchet cutter and pipe threader , but we only went 36 feet. Had a pitcher pump on it till the kids started packing water from the creek because it was faster. Got a suction pump on it now.

hayguy said:
look's pretty slick, wonder how much shipping and handling :wink: :wink:

Maybe you should come down and we'll make a road trip out of it. :D

I'm sure the weather would be "pleasant" in Alabama at this time of year for a couple of prairie boys. :shock:

If we left soon we probably wouldn't get caught in a blizzard in South Dakota. :D :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
hayguy said:

I'm sure the weather would be "pleasant" in Alabama at this time of year for a couple of prairie boys. :shock:

If we left soon we probably wouldn't get caught in a blizzard in South Dakota. :D :D

Come on admit it you are just lookin for an excuse to go visit kola

Larrry said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
hayguy said:

Come on admit it you are just lookin for an excuse to go visit kola

BMR is not that sick :wink: :wink:

Some years back ther was an ancient looking well rig that looked something like this, stting in a field west of St francis. It didn't have a derrick or a winch, just a sort of scaffold thing like this one in the picture to center the drill stem. It had an impressive looking horizonal piston pump driven with a four cylinder engine and a sort of ring gear and pinion sort of thing to turn the drill stem or drill pipe. There was no drill srem or pipe left there to show how this might have been connected. As I said there was no winch, but it looked like there was a sheive where a rope could be looped around to help lift the pipe or drill stem if you fightened it. They had never finnished the well there with this machine. Wells there are 200 ft deap.

Alfa Bellville, another well man said he was called there later to make a well. He said the hole was so large where they tried to drill he was afraid he would fall in. He said all their tool were still laying on the ground near by.

some of thos little well drillin rigs might work pretty good in that sand country wher you get water at 60 feet, not worth a damn here in the hills water @ 300 feeet through solid rock.
good luck

Thanks for posting Haymaker,

I responded to that post because I have allways been interested ,in fact facinated, by the ways people have found to tap our underground water for the last 130 years. From the stories of the hand dug and curbed wells to the drill oufits today. Some of the early local drill outfits were home built jerry rigged like this one. Most of our wells today are
drilled with commercial built truck mounted riggs.

Never the less way back in 1896, tht's the year my dad was born, there was a drill outfit from Pennslyvania here on the Indian revervation attempting to put down an artesian well NE of what is now the town of mission. their outfit was powered with a steam engine. According to newspaper clipping they were here a couple of months but never found artesian water. I have copies somewhere from news clipping at that time that told of the depth they had drilled from time to time. I think they had decided to quit allready but then the boss on the job died of a heart attack. Never the less there were flowing artesian wells near that area in the early1900s and there are some today.

From what my Dad said the first well drilled where I live was drilled with a make shift outfit run by one of those two flywheel hopper cooled engines. He said they hit a rock somewhere that they drilled and pounded on for two days to get through. This well was 165 feet. The second well put down in the early 1960's was drilled by Henry Reimers. He had a homemade rig with a jeep engine. His pump was a 2inch centrifugal pump and a Briggs & Stratton engine. He put down well over 100 wells with this outfit.
He drilled and cased a 160 foot well here in one day.

Just a bit of history on wells.

Thanks Clarence. That's interesting, I guess we share a fascination. Sometimes I can't get to sleep at night because I'm designing some home made way of punching a well bore into the ground. There has been some really interesting rigs and methods employed over the years, many of them very simple in nature. I've spent a lot of time on the internet looking at old drilling methods. Appears to me you can go cheap and slow, or quick and expensive.
Someday when I have the time (so therefore likely won't have the need), I'd like to cobble something together and go poking around.

Here you guys go. You can either put it on a truck or trailer.

http://www.bigiron.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?bigiron16/76710

I think it would be nice to have around, but I still have no clue what I am doing.

Latest posts