• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Trailers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

GM88

Reaction score
Looking at a kiefer aluminum trailer. Are they any good? Thanks The Wilson's are cheaper , EBY is more , don't know if I want a Steele Norbert

Go with the wilson you cant go wrong and run fast and hard from the eby they are junk

You won't go wrong with the Wilson Aluminum. Featherlite is probably fine as well.

GM 88.....Evaluate your hauling needs; if mostly hiway an aluminum will work well. Wilson's are as good as they come.
However if you do lots of pasture work or gravel roads an aluminum will start to crack and give grief....that's where a steel will work better and there isn't a better trailer built than a Norbert. The only weak spot is that the paint needs to be looked after to avoid corrosion issues down the road.
You can avoid most trailer issues by trading trailers on a regular basis & not letting them get too old! :roll: :lol:

We just got a Wilson Ranchhand this spring. I looked at a few different trailers and it seemed like the best. Biggest draw-back of Norbert is they are extremely heavy and like cowsence said, the paint. A Wilson will hold up to alot as long as you don't need to go 60 miles an hour across the pasture. Just like anything else, how you use it and care for it makes the biggest difference.

I would go with the Wilson or a Merritt aluminum. Basically the same trailer. I used my 1/2 ton on my 24ft Wilson the other day, because our other truck was unavailable, and I hauled 7 pair no problem. Trailer will hold 8 or 9 pair and I think even my 1/2 ton could of handled 8, but then again it's a Chevy. :wink:

Agree with all previously stated. Highway hauling the Wilson aluminum is fantastic. Around here it would likely last about 6 months.
We have a 16' Norbert gooseneck that is tough as nails and short enough to get out of almost every spot. It has slid off of trails, bounced over pastures and generally spends over 3/4 of it's travelling time off road. Paint is an issue in time. We have some touch ups we are going to do with roll on bedliner so the paint will hopefully wind up as tough as the rest of it. The independent tor-flex axles are fantastic.

We pull a Norbert our second and we sold the first one and bought a new for the cost of a sand blast and paint. My son just bought a 1989 Norbert that needs paint but a good trailer.
The man that delivered a bull this spring was pulling an alum. trailer not sure of the brand but he didn't like the Wilson because the gravel wipes out the cross members. They are just angles ans not boxed. :???:

I bought a hillsboro endura aluminum a couple years ago. I liked it because its smooth on the inside for easy washing and smooth on the outside for easy towing. Also has a slam shut latch on the back gate. Don't pull it through the pastur though so cant atest for that. They are also cheaper to buy than the others

Big Muddy rancher said:
We pull a Norbert our second and we sold the first one and bought a new for the cost of a sand blast and paint. My son just bought a 1989 Norbert that needs paint but a good trailer.
The man that delivered a bull this spring was pulling an alum. trailer not sure of the brand but he didn't like the Wilson because the gravel wipes out the cross members. They are just angles ans not boxed. :???:

A friend used to live west of me that had a Wilson. He 30 miles of gravel to get out of his place in any direction. He pulled the Wilson a lot of miles and only had to replace tires. Said buying it was the best thing he ever did.

Thanks everyone. I'll be pulling mostly highway miles as my place is in a block and I trail my cattle from pasture to pasture. I have a 16' wylee to bounce out and pick up anything I need. Thanks for all your input . Im going to look at some next week.

Latest posts