• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Treason!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Econ101

Reaction score
In a recent vote on allowing companies to undermine the 7th amendment to the Constitution for big political donors, the Republicans voted down the party line to not allow contract growers in the U.S. to have access to the courts for restitution and instead have to go to a rigged arbitration process.

Amendment VII (the Seventh Amendment) of the United States Constitution, which is part of the Bill of Rights, codifies the right to jury trial in certain civil trials. The Supreme Court has not extended the amendment to the states under the Fourteenth Amendment, as it has for many other components of the Bill of Rights.

They are undoing the protections of the Constitution that they are sworn to uphold. Instead, they are going with the big money to undermine rights guaranteed under the Constitution.

Econ101 said:
In a recent vote on allowing companies to undermine the 7th amendment to the Constitution for big political donors, the Republicans voted down the party line to not allow contract growers in the U.S. to have access to the courts for restitution and instead have to go to a rigged arbitration process.

Amendment VII (the Seventh Amendment) of the United States Constitution, which is part of the Bill of Rights, codifies the right to jury trial in certain civil trials. The Supreme Court has not extended the amendment to the states under the Fourteenth Amendment, as it has for many other components of the Bill of Rights.

They are undoing the protections of the Constitution that they are sworn to uphold. Instead, they are going with the big money to undermine rights guaranteed under the Constitution.

What is our country coming to!!! IMO anyone should have the right to get a jury trial especially when there's a lot of money involved. I am beginning to think all voting records on such issues should be published, I know I would not vote for anyone who would support such an attack on personal freedom be they dem. or rep.

I can't disagree with maintaining individual rights or freedoms as outlined in the Constitution. However, frivolous lawsuits for "big money" is not right either.

Radar said:
I can't disagree with maintaining individual rights or freedoms as outlined in the Constitution. However, frivolous lawsuits for "big money" is not right either.

The decision whether the lawsuit is "frivolous" or not rests in a jury of 12 men and women, not in the eyes of big business. To them, every lawsuit against them is frivolous. Almost every convicted criminal claims to be "not guilty" in their trial also. Of course we all know that many, many are guilty. That is what the court system is supposed to be about---finding the truth.

Econ101 said:
Radar said:

The decision whether the lawsuit is "frivolous" or not rests in a jury of 12 men and women, not in the eyes of big business. To them, every lawsuit against them is frivolous. Almost every convicted criminal claims to be "not guilty" in their trial also. Of course we all know that many, many are guilty. That is what the court system is supposed to be about---finding the truth.

So, me being 40 lbs overweight is McDonalds fault then. :roll:

Our country was founded on certain principles; trial by jury, innocent before proven guilty, liberty, rights, etc. By now, you oughta know that truth & the law aren't the same at all. In fact, many people believe a certain truth even when it is false! They believe in their own truth, not an absolute truth.

Too bad courts serve so many other people.

Cowpuncher said:
Just don't sign an agreement for arbitration. Go somewhere else.

Go where else? The integrators aren't going to take on the other's "trouble makers" and there's only one use for a chicken barn.

Radar said:
Econ101 said:
Radar said:

So, me being 40 lbs overweight is McDonalds fault then. :roll:

Did a jury find this to be McDonald's fault? Just curious.

Sandhusker,

I am not positive about how all arbitration panels work, but they are used by stock brokers, automobile makers, etc. Most of them provide for each party to pick one representative and that the third representative must be independent - maybe chosen by the two selected by the parties.

If you don't have confidence in the organization you are working with, don't get involved with them.

Econ101 said:

Thats the problem in this country today is liberals and lawyers everyone want's to sue.
I have come to the conclusion in just a short time you are like a little fiest dog running up and down the fence barking just to feel your butthole wiggle.

Cowpuncher said:
Sandhusker,

I am not positive about how all arbitration panels work, but they are used by stock brokers, automobile makers, etc. Most of them provide for each party to pick one representative and that the third representative must be independent - maybe chosen by the two selected by the parties.

If you don't have confidence in the organization you are working with, don't get involved with them.

Arbitration can be a good system. In these contracts that Scott Hamilton talked about they are not. Often times it takes 20 K to even get a hearing and then there are no rules for discovery. If a company wants to continue to hide the evidence, they can. There is no discovery process that can find the truth so those with less information are at huge risk.

The other thing is that arbitration agreements do not make case law. If, for instance, the company is found to be doing wrong, they can hide this fact and make everyone take an individual arbitration case which is expensive. Companies can cheat each person the cost of arbitration and not make it worth getting justice. For instance, if it costs 20 K to do arbitration, it is uneconomical for individuals to bring an arbitration case if the damage us under the 20 K. If you make justice uneconomical, guess what---you won't get it. Since each individual is arbitrated separately, they can cheat each individual under that amount. A case where one wins can not be expounded to other cases.

Arbitration can also be a problem if one side always goes there. In the case of a large company and many small farmers, the repeater is the company. Since they are the repeater, they know the arbiters and can "pick" the ones that are favorable.

There have been cases where arbitration has sided with producers and then the agri-companies just ignored the results. Then a lawsuit had to be filed anyway.

Do a little research on arbitration and you will see that there are major problems. The big one, in my opinion, is narrowing the decision to an elite few judges and not a jury.

Radar, I don't believe McDonalds should be held responsible for 40 lbs overweight necessarily. If they are not posting their nutritional information required by law or spiking their food, that is another case. Arbitration should not decrease their responsibility, which is what most arbitration agreements do (some labor arbitration systems are run more fairly partly because the labor union is also a repeater).

The spilled coffee was another big Mc D story. We don't know if the McD person was so busy that she/he didn't put the lid on and actually spilled it on the consumer because they were rushed by management in their job. The details and facts are for juries to determine.

Cowpuncher said:
Sandhusker,

On the V.I. grower thread, there is testimony from an actual grower involved in V.I. that's telling everybody the arbitration system there isn't worth a crap.

Latest posts