• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

trichomoniasis

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BevM

Reaction score
Has anyone on here had any problems with this in their cattle as it is going around in western sd and it is kind of scary. WE have a neighbor south of us that had it in his cattle so got rid of his bulls and will buy new i guess. He had alot of cows come empty this past fall,
Our state vet is having meetings to give teh gest on it next week and need to find out about this and ow to prevent it. Must be coming in with cattel that are summered around here i guess.
I am not really underestanding how to post this i guess as have written this 2 times and it never got posted at all. Came back to me.
I wouldn;t even begin to put a picture on here as i am not that computer savy at all.
Hope everyone is enjoying the nice spring weather but we will need some moisture for sure and think that will come when teh babies start hitting the ground am sure.
Take care. :)

Is that you Bev from West Dakota?

We have neighhbors that run in common with cattle that come in from ? and on the reservation, that I worry may have a problem. Will try to stay out of pastures that border them during the breeding season and/or put up an additional electric wire or two on the regular fence where we join them. This business is definitely for those who love a challenge. Got to admit I kind of like running next to Turner for several miles where he has that tall electric buffalo fence that they do all the maintainence on.

Trich is a venerial disease in cattle. If your neighbour has it, replacing his bulls isn't going to cure the problem. It's a good place to start but his cows are infected now, too. There is a vaccine that you can give cows to prevent the spread of it any further, at least in Canada anyways. Hope you can get it in the states, too. The best prevention is running a closed herd and not buying outsiders and bringing them in with your own. And try not to run the cows with anyone else's. We had the same wreck about 25 years ago when we ran ours in the gov't pasture, everyone had to vaccinate. If I remember correctly, it was quite expensive.

Had a neighbor who bought some 4-5 year old bulls at the stockyard. Boy did he mess up. Lost a whole season of calves to trich. Here's a little info:

http://cattletoday.info/trichomoniasis.htm

Mike said:
Had a neighbor who bought some 4-5 year old bulls at the stockyard. Boy did he mess up. Lost a whole season of calves to trich. Here's a little info:

Thats the reason almost everyone around here will buy nothing but virgin bulls- Usually only keep mine until they are 3 year olds- possibly 4 if they are something extra special- vet told me it is a lot more prevalent in older bulls....Try to breed everything at home before moving any into the community pastures.......

Oldtimer said:
Mike said:

Thats the reason almost everyone around here will buy nothing but virgin bulls- Usually only keep mine until they are 3 year olds- possibly 4 if they are something extra special- vet told me it is a lot more prevalent in older bulls....Try to breed everything at home before moving any into the community pastures.......

Yea but this guy saved BIG MONEY in buying those cheap bulls, OT. :roll: :roll:

I could never run cows in a community pasture. That is not very Bio-Secure. Too many bugs running around now.

There is an old man that leases bulls,has quite a few I understand and he leases them right and IM told a lot of them are papered,when he goes to pick them up they go into quaratine till his vet checks and tests every one of them................good luck

Yes Cal this is me Bev from West Dakota and forgto to sign on like that this time and should have.
Thanks for all the information people and think the husband is going to the meeting out state vet is having around here next Wed.
WE have alot of summer herd around us so that is scary with this going on for sure but hope we can keep it out of here.
We didn't preg test this fall and just sold them as they came up empty.
With running black bulls and herefords is hard to keep the fences up all the time but we try. HAd a bull in with our heifers most of the summer last year and that is not going to happen again. Never did find out who he belonged to.
Ok am going to wash up as just finsihed up vaccianting heifers and pouring calves.
Take care everyone. :D

Once it is in a cow, she will most likely absorb the calf or abort it. Some claim if the cow carries the calf to term she is cured, but those can be the trouble cows.

If she has trich and carries the calf to term.... she can be a carrier for life.

Bulls catch trich and carry it in the folds of their penises, older bulls have more folds so more chance to carry it.

Recommended way to deal with it is to preg test and cull all open females. Testing bulls is only 80% accurate, so multiple tests are required three times a year in badly affected areas.

Any bull with trich needs to be culled immediately.

New bulls need to be virgin bulls ..remember the test is only 80% accurate.

The only 100% clean up will be new heifers never being exposed to bulls breeding the older cows, and kept all seperate until all the older cows are gone from the herd. However if regular preg checking and testing of bulls is carried out life can return to "normal".

It only takes one neighbor to reinfect an entire area.

I sold bulls to producers in Idaho where it was a real problem and they had to set up a system where bulls were tagged for slaughter only to prevent guys from buying infected bulls to turn out with their cows.

Latest posts