• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Trichomonosis in South Dakota?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
I called the South Dakota animal inspection folks today to get a "Health Certificate" and permit for bringing a bull to South Dakota.

The girl on the phone told me I would need 3 Negative Trich tests before a permit would be issued. I argued with her and told her I didn't have time because I am leaving this Sat. Oct 1. After much haggling they agreed to allow the stud to do the testing after arrival.

Question, when did this rule come about? It must be new because it's not on the vet's "State by State Import" rule sheet. It does not apply to virgin bulls, older bulls only.

Just letting those that live there know, it could save some grief.

Mike, this is a new regulation that started this year because of several outbreaks of Trich. Anything but a virgin yearling bull has to be tested to come in the state. This kind of ended bull leasing on any older bulls because of the cost of testing. I also think that open females above a year old have to go to slaughter, and possibly leave the state. I am not postitive on the last one though.

I am for doing something to protect our industry here in SD. I don't know a lot about Trich really, other than what I have heard.

I hate to even think about it.

Andy said:
Mike are you bring Rio Blanco back up? If you would like you could just drop him off here. lol

I could do that. Are you on my way up? He's going to Mitchell, SD. Dakota Sire Service. Crazy Canadian Laws!

Andy, I would like you to see the C to C carcass data!
92% Choice
All Yield Grade 1's
800 lb. Carcasses

Must've been some good Red Angus Cows! LOL

I am about 30 miles NW of Dakota Sire. That is some very good data. How many head? We have some Rio calves in the lot now and i don't think they are going to do that good. We ultrasounded them about 2 months ago.

Latest posts