• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Trip to South Dakota

Help Support Ranchers.net:

JDBalerman

Reaction score
We are planning a road trip from southern Alberta to Rapid City South Dakota about the first week of June. We sure would appreciate any suggestions you folks might have as to places to stop and things to see and do and people to visit. We have never been in that part of the country and we are really looking forward to going.
Thanks in advance for any ideas that you have for us.
JD Balerman

Bear Butte east of Sturgis is a neat spot to at least drive by. It really shows off the northern Black Hills, in my opinion. Devil's Tower is another nice place to drive by, on a very scenic road if you follow it far enough north.

Bear Butte is in view of from are kitchen window! I won't dissagree with any of the suggestions so far. One I always recomend Is Custer State Park, a state park, always wildlife you can see from a car and beautiful beautiful scenery. Spearfish canyon is a beautiful drive to. Time for coffee? I might be abble to help ya there to..... :lol: Mel

Waterway64 said:
Bear Butte is in view of from are kitchen window! I won't dissagree with any of the suggestions so far. One I always recomend Is Custer State Park, a state park, always wildlife you can see from a car and beautiful beautiful scenery. Spearfish canyon is a beautiful drive to. Time for coffee? I might be abble to help ya there to..... :lol: Mel

If you drive through Custer State Park, be sure to keep your speed down. I found out the $85 hard way that 45 mph is the limit, not 65. :? :roll: :wink:

Thank you all for your ideas. It sounds like there will be lots for us to see and do. Hope we can get together with some of you for a coffee. That would make our trip special and complete

Any of the Black Hills is beautiful, especially this time of year. I like the more remote areas, but even driving the major roads is a treat anymore, since we rarely have time for more than that.

If you have time to go east a bit, the Badlands are spectacular! Last summer, in July, we drove from south to north, near Martin, SD to Scenic, SD one day, with a side trip to the top of Sheep Mountain Table. Views of the Black Hills in the distance (to the west-northwest) and all directions are more rugged Bad Lands formation and beautiful meadows and even some cattle grazing in places.

Further east and a little north of the Badands, there are a couple of brandings scheduled for that week, if you are interested.

A get-together in RC is of interest. Keep us posted n that.

mrj

Latest posts