• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Triple "HHH" saddle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

S.S.A.P.

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the saddle-maker, Herman H Hauser (sp on last name)?

I was able to buy-back my Grandpa's saddle and when the bidding was over the 2nd man came over and said I "got a good one" - he was an antique saddle buyer ..... I was just buying back my Grandpa's saddle!! (which was sold at his estate sale when I was fairly young). With very little fixing it would be usable but I think I'll just leave it in it's corner display in my livingroom.

The man was proud of his work - there are 9 "HHH" stamps on it. The saddle collector said Hauser left California in the late 1800's - died in Germany in 1906 or there-a-bouts. I was never able to find how many he made or if he stuck with one particular style.

Herman H. Heiser is the name that I found in my search, also found a website

http://www.cabincreekcds.com/Western.htm

that has one of his first HHH catalogs. Thought you might be interested, never know what that catalog might have to say about the man that made the saddle.
Also scroll down that page there's a second catalog.

Good Luck

I had an old Heiser Keystone that I rode for 40 years- all of a sudden it fell apart like cardboard... The saddlemakers told me it was "red rot" and caused by the type of leather tanning process some used during the war....Apparently nothing you can do to alter the inevitable....

I was looking at Porters Catalog #26 from jersey lilly's link---Saddle number 48 built on an Improved Tipton tree...My 84 year old uncle ordered one made to his specs from Porter in about 1940-since he had no engraving it cost $85 including shipping-- he rode that saddle until about 5 years ago, when he began losing his balance and had a two year old go over with him and we didn't find him for several hours...Anyway he gave the saddle to my son- and that saddle is as good (or better) than most new ones....Definitely can ride a rough horse with that 5" cantle and 14" semi form fitter undercut swells...

SSAP- Heres a little I found about Herman H Heiser:

Herman H. Heiser Co.
The Herman H. Heiser Company represents the pinnacle in vintage gun leather. Herman came to the U. S. from Germany and apprenticed with a number of famous saddlers in Wisconsin and Colorado. He opened up his own shop in 1866 in Central City, Co. In 1874, he opened up his famous shop in Denver at the site of the old Gallatin & Gallup shop. In 1879, the famous Heiser "Triple H" trademark was the 9th registered trademark in Colorado and the company was incorporated in 1916. Herman died in 1904 but his family kept the business going until 1945, when the name and trademark were sold to the Denver Dry Goods Co. Then the Keystone Brothers bought this company in 1950 and produced goods marked Heiser Keystone until sometime in the 1960's, after merging with Lichtenberger in 1959. Besides being the largest maker of American gun leather, the Heiser Co. was responsible for a number of innovations and new patterns, which exist in hundreds of variations . They also produced leather for a number of retail outlets (which sometimes carry the Heiser mark and sometimes do not). Their motto was "It pays to hitch to the House of Heiser!".

Thanks ... now that I have the correct name and spelling I should be able to dig around a little more.

Quickly wrote a letter to one place that had trademark pictures - the fella answered back almost immediately - seems Heiser used different stamps on his saddles and some other leather goods as compared to those stamped on his gun leather. He was knowledgable about the gun leather products only.

Sure wish their was a date or sequence # - or that the trademark would have expired along with Heiser in 1904. Looks like I might have a very old saddle (1879) or one as young as 1950. From what I know about my Grandpa I doubt he bought the saddle new. The family doesn't recall for sure, how he came about owning it or what year for sure.

I'll try to post a picture later.

I was looking thru the old Miles City Saddlery catalog-- The other sad part of the deal with the Heiser Keystone saddle was that I traded off an old Miles City Saddle for it- identical style to the # 95 they show- An old neighbor that was an oldtime ferry operator on the Missouri had given it to me when I was about 7 years old -I rode it for several years- I had just had the sheepskin replaced in the skirts, but everything else on it was good- well worn but good... should have my head examined for trading it- but that was back in the days when I was broke and could only afford one saddle- wanted a double rig for roping...

Good thing is that I do still have the old Miles City that he gave my sister to ride--I'm in the process of relacing it now- also had new sheepskin put in...Might make my grandkids a good saddle as it has about a 12-13" seat in it.....

Interesting stuff. I have a Denver Dry Goods saddle my Grandpa bought off the Anderson boys from Fir Mountain when they worked for us back in the late 30's early 40's. we also have a Hamley the my uncle had bought that had FCR tooled in the back of the cantle. I called Hamelly's some years back and gave them the serial number and they told me they couldn't tell me the year it was made because they had a fire about 1917 I think and started their numbers over at a higher number then this saddle had.

What a great collection of catalogs. I remember wish booking thru the Fred Mueller catalogs as a kid. My high school sweetheart had a Saddle King of Texas rig that she was really proud of and I envied. When she ran me off finally I bought her horses but the saddle was a " no way".

Here are a couple old saddles that I traded for through the years.

Oldsaddlestyle3CogshallMilesCitySad.jpg

Old saddle, style #3, Cogshall Miles City Saddlery
Oldoriginalleathercinchcover.jpg

Old original Cogshall leather cinch cover
Oldantiquesaddleofthevintagethatcam.jpg

Old-time saddle of the vintage that came up the Texas Trail
TopoftheoldTexassaddle.jpg

Top of the old Texas saddle

The Cogshall was originally made for a guy by the name of Cecil Mallory, near Spencer, Nebraska. A friend of mine bought it, and I traded him a young broke gelding for the saddle, probably 15 or 16 years ago.

The old Texas saddle doesn't have a maker's name on it. Woodrow Metzger, from Gordon, Nebraska, owned this saddle, and when he was getting up in years, he sold it to me.

soap--what's the function of the 3" (?) wide strip behind the swells/horn? that runs near to off...
i need to learn something new today :)

I'd thank it'd make it a whole lot easier to change the stirrup straps with it on top like that, I've changed a few in modern saddles, and sometimes it's just down right agrivatin tryin to put it up under there where ya can't see.

Heiser made for and sold thru the "Denver Dry Goods Co., 10 styles of saddles, He also made 4 styles of bridles.
I have a 1929/30 Fall and Winter Catalog from the Denver store.
"The Stockman's Store for Stockman's Supplies".
greg

I have an Donnelly Bros "form fitter" saddle made in the early 1900's in Billings MT, still usable, I have kept it inside since I have owned it. It has the original leather girth cinch with it. I got it from, who as I remember it, was the original owner. Anyone have any idea of the value? Or where I could sell it the best way. You can bet if you bucked out of it you would be one sore fella from the swells on it.

TexasGreg said:
Heiser made for and sold thru the "Denver Dry Goods Co., 10 styles of saddles, He also made 4 styles of bridles.
greg

Ok _ Some Help Here - Please
In 1957 my Uncle and Aunt lived in "Weatridge" Co. out side of Denver ) I was in the USAF) _ the People/Man across the street form them Owned a Saddle Shop/Western Store on Laimer St. in Denver...

I'm sorry but the Names Excape me, Could have been, "The Stockman's Store for Stockman's Supplies" or (???), but I know they Made Saddles There...
Any Help???

OldDog/NewTricks said:
TexasGreg said:
greg

Ok _ Some Help Here - Please
In 1957 my Uncle and Aunt lived in "Weatridge" Co. out side of Denver ) I was in the USAF) _ the People/Man across the street form them Owned a Saddle Shop/Western Store on Laimer St. in Denver...

I'm sorry but the Names Excape me, Could have been, "The Stockman's Store for Stockman's Supplies" or (???), but I know they Made Saddles There...
Any Help???

Was it either Miller Brothers or Fred Mueller? It seems that both of those saddlery catalogs were from Denver.

Latest posts