• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Trying to cut hay......

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
I was trying to cut more hay today but it seems I would need an air boat with a haybine dragging behind to get any cut. Most of the field i started today is under water so I didnt get a whole lot cut. If I wasnt stuck with the tractor the haybine was down and then it started dragging in the mud and the it would plug. Heaviest hay crops I have ever seen but Im not sure what good that does us if we cant cut it. We keep a second tractor in the field with about 120FT of tow rope on it so when I get stuck I dont have to walk to far. It is very hard on the nerves having to deal with this but I guess its just another part of the lifestyle we know as ranching. :roll:

BMR,

Wish we could send you some moisture. It sure has made heavy hay crops and pasture but its a nightmare trying to cut this stuff. Has anyone had any success with a discbine?

I got some on the ground and if it don't rain I will be rolling thisafter noon and tomorrow afternoon. I started fluffing yesterday evening so some of it should get up thiseveng. I cut Monday afternoon.
I need to be cutting more this morning but I better keep my day job too.

doing it the hard way

Picture090.jpg

Picture098Medium.jpg

Picture091.jpg

Say Alabama I noticed you have your fire extinguisher handy on that old john deere,hope you dont have to use it.Sure dry around here, we have put out several grass fires in the county but nothing big yet................good luck PS let it rain

I have not had to use that extinguisher yet but you never know in a hay field. That 2020 leakes every thing I put in it including fule. I hope to roll some this afternoon but we 70% chance of rain. If I get a shower I will cut some more.
I hope you get the rain you need soon. This storm I thougt brought south Texas plenty of rain.

Alabama said:
I have not had to use that extinguisher yet but you never know in a hay field. That 2020 leakes every thing I put in it including fule. I hope to roll some this afternoon but we 70% chance of rain. If I get a shower I will cut some more.
I hope you get the rain you need soon. This storm I thougt brought south Texas plenty of rain.

Yeah,south TX places got lotta rain but none in the hill country,I never rolled a bale south,dont need to, there is so much grass I think we will winter on grass and tubs this year,sure need some rain in the hill country tho...............good luck

Alabama said:
What town is "Hill Country"? I assume that is in the pan handel?

No Alabama,the TX hill country is a region of TX,pretty close to being in the center of TX.................good luck

In the middle of Texas is a long way form anywhere but Texas.
I thought i would attach a picture of my hay cutter.
Jjohn Deere 6300 with Morra disk cutter.
DSC00023.jpg

Future farm help and some dogs.
DSC00032.jpg

Nice looking family,and ILL bet that 6300 and disc cutter can get with the program..........good luck Bama & thanks for the pictures.

Big Muddy rancher said:
What do you mean future help. They look old enough rigth now. You don't have child labour laws in Alabama do you.

"If your old enough to walk and eat your old enough to work" says my dad, and now I say the same. :D

You got some good looking equipment and family.

Thanks; The boy ain't in the family "yet." So I can't work him too hard. The girl has wercked everything she ever drove. Trucks, lawnmowers and wercked lawnmowers into trucks. She drove the hay wagon once but turned it over with a load of hay. She had better stick to the paper work end and raising little cowboys.

Big Muddy rancher said:
What do you mean future help. They look old enough rigth now. You don't have child labour laws in Alabama do you.

As I understand it now (and was alluded to then), child labor laws only apply for OUTSIDE employment. Some days I truly believed that I had been born on a horse working cows! Dad says the same thing, so I can't be far off!

Manitoba_Rancher, I think I'm missing something, because I don't for the life of me understand why you would even consider trying to cut hay that is underwater, much less try. Please fill in the gaps? Thank you!

Were trying to get it cut and lay it down on the stubble and it will dry the hay. WE cant lie it in a windrow so we lie it down the full width of the conditioner. That is the only way it will cure and dry out. Then we come in with the V-rake . Never seen it so wet here!!!!

Latest posts