• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

TTB/Lazy Ace/Golden Boy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
We received our ABS catalog yesterday and your bull 'Golden Boy'
is in there. WOW!! He is GOOOOOOD. Way GOOOOOOOD!!
I remember how much everyone on the forum liked him when
you posted his picture here as a yearling.

Wish we had some RA cows to breed him to. He's definitely one of
my favorites out of the whole catalog. :nod:

And some of those Black Angus bulls...unbelievable how ugly they
are. And talk about bulls with no behind, look at Rainmaker P175. :shock:
He almost looks freakish to me.
It's hard to understand promoting a bull like that...but...he's 4 stars
on carcass...and ABS is high on carcass bulls.

Yeah but Rainmaker P175 is Basin bred that should make him useable :wink: . Got alot of sheath also.

I would'nt mind some calves out of that Red bull but my wife is color blind she has a fit if I stray to far from straight black.Black baldies make her ornery.

Say Faster Horses I've got one Shoshone Viking heifer calf so far out of an Alberda Traveler daughter should make a good cow. We've got 5 calves out of 4 cows so far just starting to trickle in.

I think that would be a good choice. I wish I knew how to post
his picture from the ABS catalog here.

Denny, that sounds like good cross. Had to read it again, thought you
would want to sell her and I was interested...but upon re-reading...
I know not. :shock: :)

Denny said:
Yeah but Rainmaker P175 is Basin bred that should make him useable :wink: . Got alot of sheath also.

I would'nt mind some calves out of that Red bull but my wife is color blind she has a fit if I stray to far from straight black.Black baldies make her ornery.

Say Faster Horses I've got one Shoshone Viking heifer calf so far out of an Alberda Traveler daughter should make a good cow. We've got 5 calves out of 4 cows so far just starting to trickle in.

Go ahead and use him, all the calves should still be black. Just don't tell her what is in the straws!

Thank you Faster Horses. We have used Golden Boy pretty hard in our own herd, and are very happy with both his sons and daughters. We'll be calving our third set of daughters this spring, and really couldn't be happier. And, we are excited about his sons, too! They seem to really follow his type, and come small and easy, and grow like weeds. Without looking for sure, I think we have nearly 20 sons in our sale. They are as even and consistent set of calves as we have ever had. Last spring, Golden Boy sired something like 75% bulls to 25% heifers :shock: .

Denny, go ahead and try him! rancherfred is correct, that all the calves will be black the first generation, when using a red bull (or cow) on homozygous black cows (or bulls.)

FH, is this the picture you were talking about?

GoldenBoyonsummerrange.jpg

I took it in July a couple of years ago.

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Dylan Biggs said:
How would you describe the udder quality and teat size on the daughters in production?

We are very pleased with udder structure. His daughters have level udders with great spacing. The teat size is small and functional. (There is some get along licorice way in the back). The udders remind me of some our oldest foundation cows when I was growing up.

If you are looking to add milk to your cattle he probably won't do that. We think his milk is about right for where we live. There are some good udders on the dam side of the pedigree with Logan 734b and Golden boy daughters are sure following that pattern.

If I can find some pictures of some Golden boy daughters I will get them to you later tonight.

have a good one

lazy ace

lazy ace said:
Dylan Biggs said:
How would you describe the udder quality and teat size on the daughters in production?

We are very pleased with udder structure. His daughters have level udders with great spacing. The teat size is small and functional. (There is some get along licorice way in the back). The udders remind me of some our oldest foundation cows when I was growing up.

If you are looking to add milk to your cattle he probably won't do that. We think his milk is about right for where we live. There are some good udders on the dam side of the pedigree with Logan 734b and Golden boy daughters are sure following that pattern.

If I can find some pictures of some Golden boy daughters I will get them to you later tonight.

have a good one

lazy ace

Thank you
That would be great.

Turkey Track Bar said:
Dylan Biggs said:
Is the above photo of BHR GOLDEN BOY 453B?

Yes, as a four year old, while out breeding cows, here at our place.

Cheers---

It looks like he had a hair cut for the photo or is he just naturally that slick in the summer?

Dylan Biggs said:
Turkey Track Bar said:
Dylan Biggs said:
Is the above photo of BHR GOLDEN BOY 453B?

Cheers---

It looks like he had a hair cut for the photo or is he just naturally that slick in the summer?

I took that picture in July, around July 4th if I remember correctly. Golden Boy came back to us from ABS with that hair coat. I suspect they clipped him (don't know why) but never asked.

Cheers---

PS if you didn't know lazy ace is my husband :D

lazy ace said:
Dylan Biggs said:

have a good one

lazy ace

A weakness I have noticed with Red Angus cattle is poor feet. Especially the front. It seems that the problem as far as I can tell is in two areas. The inside wall of the front toes having to much curve (lobster claw), not parallel enough and on our ground sometimes the toes will end up crossing.
The second is a weakness in the front pasterns that put more weight on the heels and not enough on the toes so the toes don't wear properly.

When these two weaknesses are combined it doesn't take long before they are unsound.

This being said how would you evaluate the feet on the bull and on his daughters.

Dylan Biggs said:
lazy ace said:
Dylan Biggs said:

have a good one

lazy ace

A weakness I have noticed with Red Angus cattle is poor feet. Especially the front. It seems that the problem as far as I can tell is in two areas. The inside wall of the front toes having to much curve (lobster claw), not parallel enough and on our ground sometimes the toes will end up crossing.
The second is a weakness in the front pasterns that put more weight on the heels and not enough on the toes so the toes don't wear properly.

When these two weaknesses are combined it doesn't take long before they are unsound.

This being said how would you evaluate the feet on the bull and on his daughters.

I totally agree with that being one of the breeds biggest holes. I have seen alot of bulls already this spring and I have seen alot of yearlings with poorer feet, front and back. Now with saying that, I saw Goldenboy as a yearling and at that time, they were very good. I haven't seen him since, but knowing that Broken Heart is still using him, I can tell you that they are good. They don't have time for trouble cattle.

Turkey Track Bar said:
Dylan Biggs said:
Turkey Track Bar said:

Cheers---

I took that picture in July, around July 4th if I remember correctly. Golden Boy came back to us from ABS with that hair coat. I suspect they clipped him (don't know why) but never asked.

Cheers---

PS if you didn't know lazy ace is my husband :D

Thank you for both pieces of info. :)

BRG said:
Dylan Biggs said:
lazy ace said:

have a good one

lazy ace

I totally agree with that being one of the breeds biggest holes. I have seen alot of bulls already this spring and I have seen alot of yearlings with poorer feet, front and back. Now with saying that, I saw Goldenboy as a yearling and at that time, they were very good. I haven't seen him since, but knowing that Broken Heart is still using him, I can tell you that they are good. They don't have time for trouble cattle.

Thank you for the info.
I was recently trying to track down some Logan 734b because of the soundness that BH describes in the daughters and my own experience with good soundness in the Buf Crk Chief VC 105 and the licorice bloodlines. I still have some licorice in the tank. I am going to give Chad a call or e-mail.

Thanks for the reply.

Dylan Biggs said:
scanpm.jpg

If you didn't see this photo, this is a vc 105, licorice bred bull I raised. Very sound bull.

that is a nice looking bull. He looks pretty solid all the way around.
Golden boy has good feet and his progeny seem to be following his trend. We can tell you more when his daughters reach ten to twelve years old.
Proving cattle takes many years as you probably know. I will try and pm some pictures of daughters one of these days.

thanks for the reply brg. busy travel season for you?

have a good one

lazy ace

Latest posts