• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

tubs or blocks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SKC

Reaction score
I'm new in the ranch business and i'm feeding 30/13 lick tubs and mineral lick tubs and i've been told those are a waste of money to buy. I was told thast i ought to be buying mineral blocks instead is this true

It's not really Black or white. If you need mineral probably loose mineral of good quality is your best bet. If you need protien supplement alfalfa hay might be cheaper to feed but more expensive to deliver. It is pretty hard to tell someone what will work for them.

i think your best bet would be to go visit with some folks in your area that have some years behind them in the cattle business.

careful what you ask around here, you'll get way more answers than you asked for. :wink: :D

Yep the tubs will work but they are generally the most expensive protein.
The ones you are using have urea, some people like em, some don't Most protein tubs have a mineral package in them. Depends on how much protein they are licking if they are getting enough mineral.

I don't think there would be much difference in the mineral block or the tubs for the delivery of their minerals. I like the bagged loose. The cow has enough to do that they don't need to be licking all day

Old Dried up Fart of a Cowboy told me to go buy white salt blocks...brown and yellow....so I did...the brown is a trace mineral & salt...the yellow is a sulpher...I stopped the yellow cause sulpher can interfer with the absorbtion of of other minerals....I tried several loose mineral...and the girls did best on the Purina Wind and Rain High Mag...but we are all bottom land...lots of wet green stuff....at the end of summer and during the winter we feed a 17/11 all natural syrup in a lick tub.....cause I have equine type critters...and the Urea don't get along so well with them...and of course hay we have cut here on the ranch...We feed the syrup..cause it's just a coupla old women here...and we don't have the man (or woman) power to put out cotton seed or cake everyday... :)
We tried the solid tubs...to heavy..to expensive...and some girls just flat didn't care for them and others wouldn't get away from them... :/

The best loose mineral money can buy; and if your cows are grazing cheap enough roughage, then tubs will work, economically, for the protein.
Otherwise there will be some valid arguments against your program, but it's your program.
I, personally didn't sell any calves last year, but if you did and they made money; that is where I'd start evaluating.

Latest posts