• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tuesday's tasks, 3-18-08

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Fiddlingwiththebronc.jpg

Fiddling with the bronc
Crossingthemeadowwithcowsandcalves.jpg

Crossing the meadow with cows and calves
ImridingYellowstonetoday.jpg

Yellowstone is my mount for the day.
Cowpokeontheskyline.jpg

Cowpoke on the skyline
Cattleonthemove.jpg

Cattle on the move
SpearheadRanchbuildings.jpg

Spearhead Ranch buildings
Anoldforgottenhomestead.jpg

An old forgotten homestead
Aherdofonecowandonecalf.jpg

Is one cow and one calf a herd? :???: :?
Windrowofhayfedthroughaprocessor.jpg

Windrow of hay fed through a bale processor
Thefenceseemstobefairlystraight.jpg

Ol' Kenneth's fence looks pretty straight.
Imhappytohavethetractorback.jpg

I'm happy to have the tractor back from the hospital.
Itsaprettygoodoutfiteveniftheransom.jpg

It's a pretty good outfit even if the ransom is going to come very high.
Birdsbranchesandbales.jpg

Birds, branches and bales
Contentedcattle.jpg

Contented cattle
Sunsetandbarbedwire.jpg

Sunset and barbed wire

nice pics soapweed :) Nice tractor i have a white 6710 tractor looks to be same size as yours with the big glass doors , well about a month ago i was feeding in a tight pen dropping a round bale , jumped out of the tractor to cut the wrap then jumped back in cows came running so i backed out quickly to avoid the stampede , well the darn door caught the fence and SMASH the whole glass door shattered ....needless to say it was not cheap to replace :oops:

Circle M said:
nice pics soapweed :) Nice tractor i have a white 6710 tractor looks to be same size as yours with the big glass doors , well about a month ago i was feeding in a tight pen dropping a round bale , jumped out of the tractor to cut the wrap then jumped back in cows came running so i backed out quickly to avoid the stampede , well the darn door caught the fence and SMASH the whole glass door shattered ....needless to say it was not cheap to replace :oops:

Wait till you hear Soapweed's :cry2: story.

Soapweed, so what is the per hour rate in the shop where you have work done? Here it is $65 to $75 per hour and they do not work all that fast. PS , enjoy the pics of your operation

Soap do yall just process bales for pairs? Or were you previously just rolling it out cuz you tractor was down with a broke leg? :wink:

Still enjoying your pictures, Soapweed :D :D I am so jealous of your sandy soil and dormant grass. Would you consider trading a couple buckets of mud for a small patch of dry ground? Our 60 inch winter snowfall is slowly fading....we are down to drifts and piles....but the mud is something else :( We did reach 50 degrees today, but the north wind is still chilly. Maybe things will change tomorrow since Spring officially arrives....just heard the weather man say a fairly significant snow storm is on the horizon for next week :mad:

Whitetop said:
Soapweed, so what is the per hour rate in the shop where you have work done? Here it is $65 to $75 per hour and they do not work all that fast. PS , enjoy the pics of your operation

So far, the bill has not arrived in the mail. The glass alone was over $1400, for the windshield and the two smaller separate glasses below it.

It wasn't exactly "pilot error" that caused the dilema, but it did happen while I was attempting to pull snow away from a water tank by having the loader bucket in the down position. As I started to back up, the front end of the tractor reared up and put out the windshield. Some bolts underneath the tractor (inside and out of site) had come loose. The clutch housing got wrecked, along with other confugalties. Will know more when the bill arrives.

Hooks said:
Soap do yall just process bales for pairs? Or were you previously just rolling it out cuz you tractor was down with a broke leg? :wink:

We have four different styles of big round bales. Our own bales made with our crew are from a Vermeer L model baler, and from a Vermeer Super J model baler. A hay contractor puts up about a third of our hay, and he bales with two New Holland balers. The hay I buy from another neighbor is put up with a John Deere baler and tied with biodegradable twine. These John Deere bales, I especially like to use the Hydra-bed with, so I can easily cut and collect the biodegradable twine. The other bales off our own ranch are tied with sisal, so it doesn't matter so much if it is gathered up. The processor chops up this twine pretty well, also.

Until the past three days, I haven't fed with the tractor all winter, though Saddletramp uses a processor to feed with on his end of the ranch. Some weedy bales that may have had nitrate danger were not fed to pregnant cows earlier. I though this would be an excellent time to feed them to pairs by using the processor. The cows are slicking up this hay and seem to be thriving on it. The bales made with the Super J baler don't feed well with the Hydra-bed, so the processor comes in handy to feed this hay.

My personal opinion is that hay goes farther and it takes less of it, if it is unrolled with the Hydra-bed instead of being chopped up with the processor. On the other hand, the cattle will consume more unsavory poor quality hay if it is chopped up instead of rolled out. These are just personal observations. I try to feed accordingly.

Hey Soapweed...just thought I'd let ya know your not alone on the busted windows in your tractor. Couple weeks ago, while shreddin, a small stick flew up and hit one of the side windows on the International tractor I've been usin....broke it into a million lil peices......Thankfully it wasn't all that expensive to replace. $100 We picked it up yesterday.

Then today...the same rancher that I've been shreddin for, one of his hands, apparently ran the John Deere up under a low hanging branch.....bent the exhaust pipe, and busted out the front window in it.....it's one of those curved ones. Mr Lilly done some checkin around, and happened to find one in a salvage yard only 6 miles away. Went and picked it up...for a mere $75...and put it in in just a lil while.

Latest posts