• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Turkee Oregon

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
While the main character in this story is a real person, the events may be slightly exaggerated. The names of places mentioned may be slightly altered to protect those communities. Reader discretion is advised.

High Noon at Turkee Oregon
by Faye alias the Mountain Cowgirl

Somewhere around 1972 after a short stay working on a large border ranch in west Texas and being a victim of horse theft, I left Texas never to return. I stopped off at my family's home ranch in Colorado to load up my old paint before heading north to seek my fame and fortune in Eastern, Oregon. My father had been through there on a train during WW2 headed to specialized training up at a base in Washington. "The grass wasn't necessarily greener," he said, "But the sagebrush is of an impressive size."

My eyes caught sight of a Turkee Oregon ranchhand wanted ad at the Bar Rockin Bar Slanted X ranch as I gassed up my old pickup at a station in a place named Adios Bend. In trade for checking the fence line and cattle daily, I would have use of a nice small cabin rent-free and free boarding, pasture, and hay for my horse. I was free to take on a job running heavy equipment for a mining company so my withdrawals at the Raker City bank were legit. Little did I know that 50 years later I could wear a mask while making a withdrawal, but they would still frown on revolver twirling while requesting cash.

I rode my old paint down to the local cafe/bar in Turkee. I hitched my old paint to the hitching post that had been there since the Oregon Trail pioneer days. Once inside I enjoyed a juicy burger and a tap-drawn icy mugged beer. The bill was $3 which seemed much too low, so I left a five. Once outside I noticed my horse had been stolen.

I returned inside drew my Colt, twirled it a few times, and then shot a round in the ceiling and said loudly, "I am going to sit back down and have another mug of beer and if my horse isn't returned, then I will do what I had to do in Texas! Please, please, don't make me do the horrible horrible thing I had to do in Texas!" I twirled my Colt a few more times, holstered it, then sat down and drank the cold frosty beer after I sucked the foam off the top of it with my eyes narrowed as I stared coldly around the room.

I finished, left two crisp Washingtons, and to my surprise my old paint was tied to the post just as I left her. As I mounted the kindly old lady that owned the cafe/bar came out hurriedly, looking relieved, but a bit pale and said, "Please, please honey, tell me about the horrible horrible thing you had to do in Texas."

As I turned my paint ready to ride back to my cabin, I smiled, shrugged, and replied, "I had to walk home."

Last edited:
Slightly altered is questionable. Someone with a speech impediment would most likely pronounce all those locations exactly as you wrote them.

Back in the late 70's I was working in logging camps in SE Alaska. My Grandmother would write me letters. Grandma only had a few weeks of school and all of that was in the old country. At that time girls, especially the youngest girl in the family didn't need no education. English was a second language for her. At first I couldn't read what she wrote. Then I figured out that you had to read them with a heavy Swedish accent. Doing that they made perfect sense.

only saw the Truckee, and was thinking of the Donner party and where my Wife grew up... She wasn't a buckle bunny, more a of a ski bunny on all that deep wet snow they get there. She worked in a parking lot to get a free ski pass.

only saw the Truckee, and was thinking of the Donner party and where my Wife grew up... She wasn't a buckle bunny, more a of a ski bunny on all that deep wet snow they get there. She worked in a parking lot to get a free ski pass.
It wasn't Truckee, It was Turkee. Changed the D in Durkee to a T. I get my mail in Durkee. She hung around this neighborhood for some years. Adois Bend is Farewell Bend where the Oregon Trail left the Snake River about 20 miles from here. And she went to the bank in Raker City. Baker City is the only town big enough to have a bank in this county.

It wasn't Truckee, It was Turkee. Changed the D in Durkee to a T. I get my mail in Durkee. She hung around this neighborhood for some years. Adois Bend is Farewell Bend where the Oregon Trail left the Snake River about 20 miles from here. And she went to the bank in Raker City. Baker City is the only town big enough to have a bank in this county.
Halfway actually has a bank

My story was basically a pile of bull pucky anyway. That old joke is my favorite and I first heard it when I was little as it was one of my grandpa's favorite stories. I always try to put a fresh spin on it hahaha! Back when I lived in the area, Durkee was a bustling little town compared to what I hear and read about it now. They had a post office, gas station, tavern, cafe, and I think a church and if I remember right, a mobile home park. I mostly passed through Durkee on Highway 30, headed to a job over across Gold Ridge near Rye Valley. Later went by it on the freeway headed to work down on the Snake past Huntington.

I spent more time over the years working around the Hereford Valley, Bridgeport, and Mormon Basin.

The trip through the Burnt River Canyon was what I did for weekend recreation.

Yes, Halfway does indeed have a bank, or at least did back in those days.

Halfway actually has a bank
Is it a real bank or just halfway?

Thinking about I do remember a bank in Halfway. I just haven't spent much time in Halfway. If PPRM hadn't spent so much time running over the hill trying to convince a sweet young lady to marry him he would not have known there was a bank there.

Yep, it is kitty-corner and maybe a block from the Old Pine Market. Well, you said sweet young lady and that leaves me out on two accounts. Possibly three, but I am actively working hard on being a lady. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Yep, it is kitty-corner and maybe a block from the Old Pine Market. Well, you said sweet young lady and that leaves me out on two accounts. Possibly three, but I am actively working hard on being a lady. :ROFLMAO:
PPRM was raised in Joseph. His wife was raised in Halfway. Personally I think he was lucky on several accounts. The biggest one was that she was from Halfway so he didn't have any real competition.

PPRM was raised in Joseph. His wife was raised in Halfway. Personally I think he was lucky on several accounts. The biggest one was that she was from Halfway so he didn't have any real competition.
They are a neat couple. We've met him, a very earnest entrepreneur with a wonderful partner.
They have made a success out of selling from-the-ranch beef.

They are a neat couple. We've met him, a very earnest entrepreneur with a wonderful partner.
They have made a success out of selling from-the-ranch beef.
I know him. He has been to my place. Gave me his two cents worth when I was rebuilding the the working pens. He is a friend on facebook. I run into him from time to time at cow sales and feed stores.

Is it a real bank or just halfway?

Thinking about I do remember a bank in Halfway. I just haven't spent much time in Halfway. If PPRM hadn't spent so much time running over the hill trying to convince a sweet young lady to marry him he would not have known there was a bank there.
I think it was US Bank

Latest posts