• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Turned out heifer pairs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
I helped B today. He said he is done feeding for this year. We hauled about 100 heifer pairs and turned them out. It is about 15 miles one way by road. The cows will walk home considerably shorter this fall. Three trailer hauled 4 trip each. Two full of the heifers and one not so full with the calves who go with the heifers in the other two trailers. 26 calves and a lead heifer in my trailer each trip. I was considerably under weight and had lots of room.
The first load for some reason B's hired man popped my trailer door right away. The "lead" heifer in that load was a Longhorn/Waygu cross. She hit the ground like her tail was on fire. She quickly disappeared down the draw 300 yards down hill with 26 bawling calves in tow. The other 25 heifers got out of the trailers walk 40 feet and their heads go down and they go to eating. We are afoot and not much we can do. Put the dogs on them and drove down to where the calves disappeared. Hope the heifers keep going or the calves come back. There is a couple thousand acres for them to get lost in.
The second trip it started snowing. April 28 and it is snowing!!! Third trip the ground is white and it is snowing sideways. A great day to turn out heifer pairs. Fourth trip the snow level has gone up some so it is warming a little. The ground up there is pretty wet. We just need it to warm up a little so grass will grow.

I've seen that happen before. About the only way is a portable corral or panels to bunch them up and turn them all out together. Out here, guys build small wire traps in their spring turn out pastures to pair everything up. Glad y'all got them hauled and have some moisture. Kids are headed to help a neighbor brand 350 head tomorrow. I get to cut more cedar posts 😩😩😩

I've seen that happen before. About the only way is a portable corral or panels to bunch them up and turn them all out together. Out here, guys build small wire traps in their spring turn out pastures to pair everything up. Glad y'all got them hauled and have some moisture. Kids are headed to help a neighbor brand 350 head tomorrow. I get to cut more cedar posts 😩😩😩
I thought about your post cutting while hauling calves yesterday. Back in 2016 they had a fire here burnt over 100,000 acres. I drove through an area of standing dead burnt juniper. Just right post size. It would be easy to walk around it cutting off the limbs while it is standing. Tip it over. Cut the top off. Quick easy post. No under brush to fight. And the ground flat enough to use a quad to drag them to the truck.

That 'WESTERN cedar''is good material. When I lived in Prineville as a kid, we made forts in draw and greenhouses out of it.

Latest posts