• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Twin calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Rowdy Ranch

Reaction score
We are at the end of fall calving and out of the last 6 cows to calf - 2 sets of twins. Each set consisted of a bull and a heifer-in each case the cow only wanted the bull calf so I am currently feeding the 2 heifers. Don't mind as will probably need them down the road for a graft. Guess the good Lord thinks I need something else to do in my spare time. Probably had more sets this fall,know of one set,but may not have always found them. We are still weaning calves and bringing cattle in closer for the winter. Have a great day!

We had 6 sets twins this year, only about half of what we normally get but our cow number is down. I was surprised to have a set of twins at the end of calving, usually twins come early, at the beginning of each cycle, we see twins come when AI bred cows just start calving, and when the cleanup bull bred cows start calving. I don't envy having to feed baby calves, be sure not to keep those heifer calves born with bull calves for replacements. I have 3 nurse cows, when they calve I put them in a pen together, feed them well, and when a set of twins show up we wait for the mother to decide which one she wants, then we take the other one and put them in with the nurse cows. My nurse cows are great, they let anyone nurse them so everyone is taken care of! I won't put more than 2-3 calves/cow in with them, drags the nurse cows down too much. Usually our heaviest weaning wts come out of the nurse cows :wink:

Been thinking of getting a couple nurse cows-thanks for reminding me. WE had 7 or 8 sets of twins total last yr. between the fall and spring calving cows. Seems like last yr. the twins did come at the beginning in the spring cows. Today or tomorrow might be a good day to get a nurse cow-as a large cow sale at our local sale barn-well large sale for this area. Have a great day!

Latest posts