• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Twins

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WyomingRancher

Reaction score
I was wondering if other people who are calving are seeing a higher number of twins this spring? I have 28 heifers to calve out and I've had three sets out of the first 15 that have calved.

I Lutalysed the heifers the day I put them out with the bulls, but I don't think Lutalyse would superovulate them. Does anyone know? Is anyone else seeing a lot of twins? I haven't had any out of my cows yet, just the heifers.

WyomingRancher said:
I was wondering if other people who are calving are seeing a higher number of twins this spring? I have 28 heifers to calve out and I've had three sets out of the first 15 that have calved.

I Lutalysed the heifers the day I put them out with the bulls, but I don't think Lutalyse would superovulate them. Does anyone know? Is anyone else seeing a lot of twins? I haven't had any out of my cows yet, just the heifers.
Were they fed MGA ?

We useally get four or five sets a year but this year were half done without having any. How ever our calves are coming 20 to 30 pounds heaver than normal so I guess we will get more beef one way or another.

We haven't started calving yet. We'll see if we get any twins. The cows look like there is twins in there, but sometimes looks can be decieving and you get a puny little runt. :roll:

Twins can be a funny thing.............I knew a couple guys that ran their cows together and the one always had numerous sets of twins and the other never had any.............

passin thru said:
Twins can be a funny thing.............I knew a couple guys that ran their cows together and the one always had numerous sets of twins and the other never had any.............
:lol: My wife's got a lot of cows like that. "Her" cows seem to have a lot of twins that we don't find until weaning. :???:

Texan said:
passin thru said:
:lol: My wife's got a lot of cows like that. "Her" cows seem to have a lot of twins that we don't find until weaning. :???:
"Chuckle"I've tried that,does it work any better at your place then it does ours.

i have a 3 year old cow which has had 5 calves ,she had a single at year old,last year she had twins and today another set of twins,exteremely fertile for some reason,lol i did lutalyse and mga on the hefeirs and had no twins so far, 3 left to calve though,i dont care for twins but will be kinda neat to see how many calves this cow will have in her lifetime

Seven sets out of 103 cows so far. :D

We get twins every year. I think it's the breed.

Many years ago, when we had primarily Hereford cows, we never had a set of twins. We switched to Charolais and have had twins every year for the last 25 years. Sometimes as high as 10 percent. Simmentals are pretty high twinners too.

My son had one year back when he was in school, where he had three cows, and two had twins. He earned lots of tuition money that fall! :D

Years ago we had an old polled hereford cow we called Bully, because she looked like a bull, as masculine as they come. She twinned the last few days of March for three years running. She hadn't twinned as a young cow, but warmed into it in her old age. Such a masculine cow shouldn't have been that kind of producer but she was the exception to the rule I guess.

A cow this morning had twins. That would be 4 sets out of 40 who have calved so far. I'm glad they are coming early. I just started to calve and so it's nice to have extra calves going into the thick of calving. I've already had to use one since I had a wreck pulling a heifer's calf a few nights ago.

Everything that could have gone wrong did. I was pulling the calf and had the head out when she sat down on it like a dog. I tried to release the headcatch (HiQual maternity pen) but her pressure was against it, and I couldn't release it.

Finally I did get it to release, but when I did she layed down on her left side. I've never had a cow lay on her left side in that maternity pen. Anyhow, to make a long story short, I then got into a nasty hip lock and had no way to manuever my puller since I was jammed up in the corner.

I did manage to get the calf out, but it wasn't too pretty. He pretty much died when she sat on him, and so the hip-lock just added insult to injury! Once I got her calf out, I grabbed a twin, and she immediately took that calf.

Like I said, I am glad to have twins early since you never know when you'll need one! Hopefully I've seen my last calving wreck for a LONG while. :D

Latest posts