• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

U.S. Delays National ID System for Cattle and Other Animals

Help Support Ranchers.net:

frenchie

Reaction score
U.S. Delays National ID System for Cattle and Other Animals to 2009

Canadian Press, May 05, 2005

WASHINGTON (CP) - The U.S. government isn't aiming to have a national identification system for cows and other animals in place until 2009, Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said Thursday. The system, sparked by the country's lone case of mad cow disease nearly 18 months ago, would become mandatory that year, allowing authorities to quickly track and isolate animal health threats.

"I'm a little surprised they delayed it that far," said Steve Dittmer, executive vice-president of the Agribusiness Freedom Foundation.

"They're delayed it by two or three years from what most people thought it would be. It's a recognition of the fact that the technology isn't as good as it needs to be."

Johanns said the issue is too important to get wrong.

"We're looking at such a huge initiative," said Amy Spillman, spokesman for the U.S. Agriculture Department.

"We want to get industry input. We want to have as much people involved as possible."

Canada has had an ID system for cows since before its first mad cow case was discovered in May 2003.

Authorities north of the border began requiring ear tags with identifying bar codes the year before on any animal leaving its herd of origin. By September 2006, those tags will be updated to radio-frequency devices.

The system allowed Canadian officials to quickly trace and isolate potential threats from each of its three cases of bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

"Obviously, we would like to have everyone on the same level," Megan Gauley of the Canadian Cattle Identification Agency, said of plans in the U.S.

"But our main mandate is focusing on the Canadian herd."

The U.S. banned imports of Canadian cattle two years ago. Trade was supposed to resume in March but has been blocked by a legal challenge from a ranchers' group based in Montana.

Arguments on the long-term future of the border are scheduled to be heard July 27. Meanwhile, the USDA is appealing a temporary injunction barring trade until then but no date has been set.

Industry observers said it won't occur before May 26, the deadline for all briefs to be submitted to the court.

U.S. officials have consulted Canada on its identification system but may not decide to go the same route.

Regardless, Canada's system will be applicable in the U.S. if and when the cattle trade resumes, said Spillman.

The U.S. ID plan will also cover pigs, chickens and other livestock, amounting to billions of animals.

Cattle ranchers estimate it will cost about $550 million US over five years and some want a lower-technology, lower-cost solution, like hot-iron branding.

The system would require states to register ranches, feed lots, livestock barns, packing plants and other facilities by July 2008. Mandatory reporting of livestock movement would begin the next year.

© The Canadian Press, 2005

U.S. officials have consulted Canada on its identification system but may not decide to go the same route.
LETS FACE IT. FRENCHIE 99% of the systems being built or have been built won't work when you ship your product GLOBAL . The only one I have seen that works and was designed by ranchers is www.scoringag.com .

PORKER said:
LETS FACE IT. FRENCHIE 99% of the systems being built or have been built won't work when you ship your product GLOBAL . .

Be a lot simpler with one global system.

A lot simpler with one global system.Frenchie********I agree, I was looking at the SSI global system and I see that Brazil was in the Location code maker and Canada was there too.With the www.scoringag.com system .Another thing ,the SSI system doesn't go public with records like some of the other systems out there.I had noticed reading posts on the Agriville site that the Global Animal Managment system which is a subsiduary of Shering-Plough shares data and Yes if you don't mind letting AC Nielsons, and Willer & Williams own your data or sell it for a profit it could be OK but thats not me.**********Tam says nobody uses anything in the states ,but I say survey results indicate that growers, processors, and retailers could do a better job of providing their customers with information on the way that food is produced, processed, transported, and sold. The Only self ID system that does that is www.scoringag.com and Tam could use it too!

PORKER said:
A lot simpler with one global system.Frenchie********I agree, I was looking at the SSI global system and I see that Brazil was in the Location code maker and Canada was there too.With the www.scoringag.com system .Another thing ,the SSI system doesn't go public with records like some of the other systems out there.I had noticed reading posts on the Agriville site that the Global Animal Managment system which is a subsiduary of Shering-Plough shares data and Yes if you don't mind letting AC Nielsons, and Willer & Williams own your data or sell it for a profit it could be OK but thats not me.**********Tam says nobody uses anything in the states ,but I say survey results indicate that growers, processors, and retailers could do a better job of providing their customers with information on the way that food is produced, processed, transported, and sold. The Only self ID system that does that is www.scoringag.com and Tam could use it too!

The usefulness and accuracy of data on any of these systems is only as good as what a producer(hopefully honest) supplies.

I think what Tam is referring to is you have no mandatory system for the entire U.S.

Perhaps she could clarify?

JUST WHAT DOES the CANADIAN system offer in data????I heard that they could finally put in an RFID button number.IS THAT all the info for an animal ???

Latest posts