• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

U.S. may have concealed BSE test results

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PORKER

Reaction score
U.S. may have concealed BSE test results

Eiji Hirose / Yomiuri Shimbun Correspondent

In his Friday announcement of the confirmation of the second case of mad cow disease in the United States, U.S. Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said an experimental test run along with the second standard test in late November showed "abnormalities" with the cow.

The announcement suggests the Agriculture Department may have hidden an important discovery for seven months.

The concealment of the discovery of abnormalities that suggested possible bovine spongiform encephalopathy infection has raised concerns among U.S. consumers.

It could also affect Japan's ongoing debate over the resumption of beef imports from the United States.

The cow in the latest case first tested positive for BSE in a preliminary testing in mid November, but tested negative later that month under a more detailed immunohistochemistry (IHC) test.

The cow then tested positive earlier this month using the Western blot method.

According to Johanns, an experimental test conducted along with the IHC test in late November showed "abnormalities," indicating the cow might have been infected with BSE.

Asked why the department did not immediately disclose the result of the experimental test, department officials said the IHC test was already over as a formal test and the experimental test was an informal one for research purposes.

But if the Western blot test had been implemented as an additional confirmatory test in immediate response to the result of this experimental test, the confirmation of the second U.S. case of mad cow disease would have happened seven months ago.

Copyright 2005 The Yomiuri Shimbun

Won't be long before the wolves in the press pick up the scent of a fresh trail of deceit. I can smell a new head USDA veterinarian from here.
Ann was smart, she bailed out while the getting was good.

Is that Anne left at a specific time and Hawks Left a few days before the test results were posted,They both Know something ,And others left TOO.
Cattlegate is coming

Wait until the sharks on Capitol Hill get ahold of it tommorrow-- they are always circling but if they smell blood they will be diving for the kill......

Oldtimer said:
Wait until the sharks on Capitol Hill get ahold of it tommorrow-- they are always circling but if they smell blood they will be diving for the kill......

Henry Waxman - "Head Shark" has already got the taste of blood. He'll have everybody from the lab techs to the slaughterhouse workers on the Hill. This ain't gonna be good for beef consumption.

But the worst part of it is..........................
It was preventable :???: :???: :???: :???:

The cow in the latest case first tested positive for BSE in a preliminary testing in mid November, but tested negative later that month under a more detailed immunohistochemistry (IHC) test.

Imagine!, the Brits did this same test and the result was positive. Incompetent lab techs. or hidden results?

why has Canada had three so far, maybe our lab techs are more competent! Or....

Right timing right place, you decide!

Hell, there's quite a few of here that hate to say it, but we told you so!

I wonder what would have happened if you would have opened the boder March 07 and taken the heat off all of us!

and not only RCALF is to blame, the ones that stood back and did nothing are also to blame

But hey, now we'll all deal with it. GOOD LUCK!

Murgen said:

Imagine!, the Brits did this same test and the result was positive. Incompetent lab techs. or hidden results?

why has Canada had three so far, maybe our lab techs are more competent! Or....

Right timing right place, you decide!

Hell, there's quite a few of here that hate to say it, but we told you so!

I wonder what would have happened if you would have opened the boder March 07 and taken the heat off all of us!

and not only RCALF is to blame, the ones that stood back and did nothing are also to blame

But hey, now we'll all deal with it. GOOD LUCK!

Murgen, after thinking about this for several days, and I know you're not going to like my statement -but here goes, I think that this lastest episode will only help R-Calf in their lawsuit against the USDA. The USDA has shown the utmost in incompetence and will lose the border opening appeal because of it. Just my honest opinion and we all know about opinions!

Mike said:
Oldtimer said:

Henry Waxman - "Head Shark" has already got the taste of blood. He'll have everybody from the lab techs to the slaughterhouse workers on the Hill. This ain't gonna be good for beef consumption.

But the worst part of it is..........................
It was preventable :???: :???: :???: :???:

But the other part is now a good scrutiny is needed--I think every taxpayer needs to know what happened in this mess- be it stupidity or be it fraud....Besides the testing procedure question USDA "scientists" also made mistakes that even a 7th grade biology student wouldn't- they even know not to mix lab samples in the same container- and the importance of labeling...And now using those tainted samples for DNA typing and tracing-- Wouldn't even need to hire one of OJ's attorneys to get that thrown out the door......

I agree it won't be good for beef consumption......

Latest posts