• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ugly out there

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Quite a line up :D

Is that a little bow in the bucket of the far loader? :eek:

Yes I had to rebuild it after a worker ran the loader into a large tree at full speed - - - and that loader goes 40 MPH - - - special gearing ordered by a local County HiWay Dept. It's a wonder he did not kill himself - - - last day he ever worked for me, last in a line of mess ups.

Just checked and unless something changes I will be able to stay home with the Grandkids - - - +37F and no moisture on the radar as far out as they show.

All the weathermen on all stations were calling for snow starting at mid night and starting about 7:00 AM we were to get at least an inch per hour with hi winds.

I think sometimes they just try to one up each other to see who can give the most outlandish forecast for ratings - - - don't let the truth get in the way of a good scare - - - then the public starts ignoring them and a good one will come in!

What did you think of great wolf lodge George? Our oldest wants to go their for his birthday this year.

3 M L & C said:
What did you think of great wolf lodge George? Our oldest wants to go their for his birthday this year.

I thought it was way over priced - - - but the grand kids loved it - - - to be fair I loved it to but with the room ( Wolf's Den ) , water park packages, taxes and everything it was close to $1,000 per day for 2 days for 2 adults, one 6 year old and one almost 3 year old.

Then any drink ( most are 10 oz drinks ) is $2.50 - - - that is water, "Bug Juice, OJ, milk - - - everything was very high there but it was -3F outside so we stayed in.

They keep the water park at +85F and it is open 12 hours a day - - - lines were not real bad except for a couple of the larger slides - - - life guards were everywhere and the place was very clean.

I guess I will have to fire up about noon as while it is +34F now it is snowing way over an inch per hour and the county wants me to fire up about noon - - - forecast to go to +17F by mid afternoon with over 12" of new accumulation and 25 MPH west winds.

The Grand kids will stay in with Grandma as my son and daughter-in-law are due back tomorrow if the airport is not to backed up - - - we will see it they get in on time!

3 degrees, 16 mph NW breeze, wind chill at minus 15, skiff of new snow, and icy underneath from melting temperatures on Thursday and Friday. This is the Spearhead January 5th, 2014 Sunday morning report.

-39C here 10km wind. That makes -51wind chill pretty much any system you use. We had 5mm of freezing rain on hwys then two days of this, very bad driving no matter where you go with my road completely drifted in.

Still going up it is now +36F with light wind but the snow ( very heavy and wet ) is really building up. Weatherman said it would be +17F by noon but so far he is missing that!

I guess noon will be the start time and then we should run for about 3 days if the forecast holds true.

We will have about 6" of fresh snow when we start if nothing changes.

Cows are all laying in the loafing shed soaking up what little south sun there is but they are full of round baled hay and I give them one square bale ( about 60# ) every morning - - - with 18 head about 3# @ so not so much for nutrition but more to keep them easy to work with.

It was 0 F here this morning overcast with only light wind. Cold predicted for tomorrow with strong wind. Barometer reads 30.25 so we may not get the wind. Still a little snow on the ground.

-22 with about 15-20 mph winds giving us -50 windchill.... I fed the cows an extra big allotment of straw to fill up on yesterday- so aren't in any hurry this morning...
Ventured out a few minutes ago and fired up feed truck- letting it warm up now...

It's now up to +40F and raining fairly steady so the 6" of snow is down to about 3" and talk about slick - - - put your cleats on your boots or risk a fall.

I plowed for the county about an hour with one truck and they said go home and wait - - - the weather man keeps saying it will be in the teens and snow this afternoon - - - just crazy weather!!!

15F here NW wind @ 25 with 5" of new snow blowing around. -10 tonight and 2 for a high tomorrow.

Back down to +30F and the latest says it is going to be the coldest night in 20 years here with a low of -17F by morning with 25MPH winds from the west the winds now are still from the east / southeast

Now that it is colder the rain has turned back to snow and we are back to about 6" - - - HiWay says stay on stand by they will dispatch soon!

In Indiana if you don't like the weather wait a few minutes and it will change. Forecasting Monday and Tuesday highs at about -5F but back in the +40F and above by Friday.

10 below (F) here with a wind chill of 31 below (F) and my furnace is running what seems like non stop.

That's what I have here also -10 and 35 mile per hour wind, makes it unfit for man or beast.
I just returned home from fixing a power outage, makes me really enjoy my line of work. Oh well it allows me to keep this expensive hobby of mine :lol:
I also decided while out working tonight that the Canadian's on here must be tougher than hell !!! I couldn't take a whole winter of cold weather like this.

Also called winter . . .

"A "polar vortex" will affect more than half of the continental U.S. starting Sunday and into Monday and Tuesday, with wind chill warnings stretching from Montana to Alabama. "

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01/05/dangerous-polar-vortex-expected-to-bring-record-setting-sub-zero-temperatures-to-more-than-half-of-the-u-s/

The guy in the first picture . . . priceless!

AC Diesel said:
That's what I have here also -10 and 35 mile per hour wind, makes it unfit for man or beast.
I just returned home from fixing a power outage, makes me really enjoy my line of work. Oh well it allows me to keep this expensive hobby of mine :lol:
I also decided while out working tonight that the Canadian's on here must be tougher than hell !!! I couldn't take a whole winter of cold weather like this.
tough, or bat sh!t crazy....it is hard to tell, but yes, I too think they are a rare breed of person to willingly live in a spot with more winter than summer.....

although, with Gcreek, we KNOW it is more crazy than tough.

AC Diesel said:

My father=in-law just retired as a lineman. I don't know how you guys do it!!

LazyWP said:
AC Diesel said:

That's to funny!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Now who in the hell left the door open up there? I was just starting to enjoy Global warming and someone tries to be funny up there and did this. I got up this morning and it was 18 degrees here. Is someone trying to freeze over the Gulf of Mexico or something. :shock:

-28 here this morning... Neighbor upriver had -40, but the best news so far is there is no wind and little now predicted.... :D
And 100 miles west of us the temps are above 0 as a front from the Pacific tries to push this cold east and south...

I may hold off feeding for a couple of hours again today and let it warm a little... Cows should be pretty full anyway as we have been giving them around 22 lbs of hay and 20 lbs of wheat straw a day since the cold spell hit...
One thing about these cold spells is that they do a good job cleaning up the straw....

Trinity man said:
LazyWP said:
AC Diesel said:

That's to funny!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Now who in the hell left the door open up there? I was just starting to enjoy Global warming and someone tries to be funny up there and did this. I got up this morning and it was 18 degrees here. Is someone trying to freeze over the Gulf of Mexico or something. :shock:

We're only about 5 degrees in F colder than you are this morning Trinity.

For once, we are about the only spot that hasn't been hit hard by winter and I'm not complaining.

It was sunny and 36F yesterday and more of the same today. We have had almost no snow and this in an area that normally receives 600+ inches per year. The ski resorts usually open at Thanksgiving but only one has opened with limited skiing to date. We really need some precipitation to avoid a drought next summer. Although I am glad that I am not in Northeastern Montana right now.

Latest posts