• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Uniform or Costume?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
Yesterday a conversation broke out on another forum I am on, concerning if those that aren't actively involved in ranching that wear western clothing are wearing a costume or a uniform. My idea was that wearing clothes that aid in the various task of ranching make it a functional work uniform, whereas those that just admire the cowboy stereotype that wears such clothes are wearing a costume.

I was reminded of Yvonne that had her uniform mistaken for a costume. Take a listen, a very good story by a first-class lady rancher and poet.

One Halloween I had a dentist appointment, As I went in the office I notice the receptionist and hygienists all wearing some sort of costume . Well I wear boots, Wranglers a snap button shirt everyday, Have for my whole life. When it's cooler out I wear a silk wild rags wrapped twice around my neck.
I was laying back in the chair ready for the dentist when in walks this guy wearing snap button shirt, jeans stuffed into the tops of some cheap cowboy boots and a red and white polka dot hanky tied around his neck.
All I said was I guess next year I should dress up like a dentist.
We are actually friends and he has come here and stayed at the ranch for deer hunting. But it definitely was a costume.

One Halloween I had a dentist appointment, As I went in the office I notice the receptionist and hygienists all wearing some sort of costume . Well I wear boots, Wranglers a snap button shirt everyday, Have for my whole life. When it's cooler out I wear a silk wild rags wrapped twice around my neck.
I was laying back in the chair ready for the dentist when in walks this guy wearing snap button shirt, jeans stuffed into the tops of some cheap cowboy boots and a red and white polka dot hanky tied around his neck.
All I said was I guess next year I should dress up like a dentist.
We are actually friends and he has come here and stayed at the ranch for deer hunting. But it definitely was a costume.
Dressing as a dentist is more lucrative hahaha! One crown costs a cow and calf pair these days or so I hear being a smooth mouth myself these days.

I listened to Yvonne when we went to Elko in 2018. She told one about how her husband could see this or that. And do it from some distance. But why couldn't he see the mud on his boots and her freshly mopped floor.

Son in law was a rep for Superior over by Miles City. I was over there visiting and he had been off some where getting some cattle consigned. Hot summer day. He walks in the house wearing boots, Chinch jeans, pearl snap shirt, and a cowboy hat. Walks into the bedroom muttering something about getting out of the uniform. Comes out shortly wearing tennis shoes, shorts, and a Tee shirt.

Last edited:
Mr. FH uniform is Wranglers, boots, long sleeved snap western shirts and a hat of some kind.
Then he complains of being hot in the summer.🤣

He will not hardly ever wear short sleeved western shirts.

We have a pontoon boat. Guess what he wears when we take the boat out?
Wranglers, long sleeved western shirts and BOOTS.

When his shoulders were bothering him and he went for PT he wore a t-shirt--
twice--then he asked if he could wear his regular western shirts and they said yes.
He went for 2 or 3 months and never wore a t-shirt again.

If no one is around he will stick his Wranglers in his boot tops because that is cooler. 🤣😂🤣

Mr. FH uniform is Wranglers, boots, long sleeved snap western shirts and a hat of some kind.
Then he complains of being hot in the summer.🤣

He will not hardly ever wear short sleeved western shirts.

We have a pontoon boat. Guess what he wears when we take the boat out?
Wranglers, long sleeved western shirts and BOOTS.

When his shoulders were bothering him and he went for PT he wore a t-shirt--
twice--then he asked if he could wear his regular western shirts and they said yes.
He went for 2 or 3 months and never wore a t-shirt again.

If no one is around he will stick his Wranglers in his boot tops because that is cooler. 🤣😂🤣
I can't think of one of my ranch relatives that didn't wear long sleeve shirts year-round when outside, even those in Arizona and Texas. I can't think of one time I wore long sleeves in warm weather other than when welding. I have barbed wire scars and even a dehorning iron burn scar to prove it. The worst barbed wire scar is on my belly from wearing a crop top while making an unscheduled fence repair. I think I was 16 when I spent most of the summer working on the ranch with nothing but a homemade swimsuit-looking bra on top. I became very dark and about late August when water was watched closely and since we had top rights in the entire area, I was up cranking down our alfalfa field main ditch while we cut and baled (no use wasting water that a 1/4 mile ditch soaks up when others needed it) and the neighbor called and asked my mother if we had hired a Latino lady. When my mother said no, why? The neighbor said because when she was out riding, she saw a Latino lady in a bra messing with our ditch gate. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Now my biannual trips to the skin doc to get cancer removed makes me regret my foolishness.

Last edited:
Here is one of my great grandpas, a multi-thousand acre West Texas rancher, in his church-going costume, his Sunday best. No one ever knew why he wore his pants in his boots to church and no one had the courage to ask. He died before I was born and my great granny was mum on the subject.

Now according to @Faster horses Mr. FH claims it is cooler. :cool: I thought he was just prepared if a sermon on Satin :devilish: the serpent brought rattlesnakes into the meeting. Now Mr. FH has revealed the real reason, it's cool.

GGP rs.jpg

Last edited:
I use to wear nothing but tee shirts in the summer. I have a daughter in law who is mixed race, Indian, black, and white. By fall my arms would be darker than she is. Then in 2017 by pure luck (or God's grace) a large melanoma was found on the back of my neck. It was removed and that happened before it had spread. Since then I wear long sleeve shirts, Wranglers, and a hat when ever I am out in the sun.

I use to wear nothing but tee shirts in the summer. I have a daughter in law who is mixed race, Indian, black, and white. By fall my arms would be darker than she is. Then in 2017 by pure luck (or God's grace) a large melanoma was found on the back of my neck. It was removed and that happened before it had spread. Since then I wear long sleeve shirts, Wranglers, and a hat when ever I am out in the sun.
Good man for wearing a hat and not a cap. After having several taken off the backs of my ears, I went to my Arizona family's style hat with a flatter 3" brim. Wearing my big billed cap didn't even protect my nose. They took 3 off there last month. The cap failed because it doesn't protect from the side or back.

Winter wear is joggers over woollies and under wool pants. Heavy coat and scotch cap.

Jeans and long sleeve shirts in summer, slip on shoes have mostly taken the place of boots and a ball cap instead of my hat unless off to town or funerals or weddings. Getting a 100 x custom built so they can bury me in it someday.
As I age I have become more of a quad riding farmer cow man than a saddle horse cowboy.

Winter wear is joggers over woollies and under wool pants. Heavy coat and scotch cap.

Jeans and long sleeve shirts in summer, slip on shoes have mostly taken the place of boots and a ball cap instead of my hat unless off to town or funerals or weddings. Getting a 100 x custom built so they can bury me in it someday.
As I age I have become more of a quad riding farmer cow man than a saddle horse cowboy.
Riding a quad doesn't make you a farmer. You may lose your horseboy wrangler status, but still, a cowboy or cattleman if you still have cows, If you have replaced them with llamas, then that is another discussion. :ROFLMAO:

Good man for wearing a hat and not a cap. After having several taken off the backs of my ears, I went to my Arizona family's style hat with a flatter 3" brim. Wearing my big billed cap didn't even protect my nose. They took 3 off there last month. The cap failed because it doesn't protect from the side or back.
Truth is I wear a cap more than a hat. It is weather dependent. But those bright sunny days during the summer I wear a hat.

Gcreek has more cowboy in his little finger than 99.9999% of the population. He could wear a lime green leotard and ride a unicycle and still be more cowboy that most could only wish to be. I'll take my oath on that.

PS- please don't send pics if you actually have a lime green leotard and a unicycle 😳😂

Mr. FH wears caps in summer, too, but definitely a hat when he is going places like church or out to eat. He notices not many wear a hat anymore, even here in "cowboy country". (which has been taken over by foreigners that have moved in.) Used to be everyone he knew wore a hat when they went to town, even if they wore a cap at home. Of course he wears a 'scotch cap' in winter when needed. His summer straw hat has lasted many summers. Maybe it's time for a new one. He always wore a black cowboy hat, but now has one black one and two silver ones. None of which are 100X. He has had a couple of hats made, but one shrunk. Really it did.

I read this a long time ago: "a hat does not a cowboy make."

Mr. FH wears caps in summer, too, but definitely a hat when he is going places like church or out to eat. He notices not many wear a hat anymore, even here in "cowboy country". (which has been taken over by foreigners that have moved in.) Used to be everyone he knew wore a hat when they went to town, even if they wore a cap at home. Of course he wears a 'scotch cap' in winter when needed. His summer straw hat has lasted many summers. Maybe it's time for a new one. He always wore a black cowboy hat, but now has one black one and two silver ones. None of which are 100X. He has had a couple of hats made, but one shrunk. Really it did.

I read this a long time ago: "a hat does not a cowboy make."
I heard a rumor that a certain "cowboy" may be moving out your way. He wears a hat everywhere, so Mr. FH will have company I hope Mr. FH enjoys discussing rodeo. ;)

Mike just ordered another 100X, will be the second one he has had. The other one is 12 years old and still wearable. Store bought hats last him a few years.
Where does he get his custom 100x hats? I was considering one from Last Best West Hats that used to be in Calgary, but they moved to the USA and the price went up on the crease I wanted to $805 and $40 shipping. They also charge something like $100 to dirty it up and make it look used.

I found another place that looked promising in Colorado but lollygagged and they moved to Sedona and jacked up their price to about $700. I was told of a place in Salem but his pencil wasn't sharpened enough and his quote was $1000.

I want a true 100x beaver that sheds water better than a duck's back and is thin enough for summer wear. I want the natural beaver that has a bit of a grayish look. I want it to match my hair. 🤕 I am leaning toward ordering one from the Sedona outfit.

We seem to have so much wind anymore a hat an be a struggle.
I enjoy a good straw hat in the summer but they cost a fortune now as well.
I keep a nice hat for the special occasion, the next one down for cattle buying and road tripping and a oldest most beat up for every day. If it was all horse work it would be fine but it never fails you get a hydraulic leak and get sprayed or grease off the loader .

Where does he get his custom 100x hats? I was considering one from Last Best West Hats that used to be in Calgary, but they moved to the USA and the price went up on the crease I wanted to $805 and $40 shipping. They also charge something like $100 to dirty it up and make it look used.

I found another place that looked promising in Colorado but lollygagged and they moved to Sedona and jacked up their price to about $700. I was told of a place in Salem but his pencil wasn't sharpened enough and his quote was $1000.

I want a true 100x beaver that sheds water better than a duck's back and is thin enough for summer wear. I want the natural beaver that has a bit of a grayish look. I want it to match my hair. 🤕 I am leaning toward ordering one from the Sedona outfit.
They are $495 and $30 shipping. Considerably more than 12 years ago but cheaper than the ones you were looking at. Mom and pop outfit (at least it was when we went there, I assume they still are). We found out about them on here way back when. I think from Oldtimer.

Latest posts