• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Uniform or Costume?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I know that the guy who owns the "Squeaky Stirrup"saddle shop in Baker got a custom made one from someone down south of Burns. Next time I see him I will ask for the name and contact info.

They are $495 and $30 shipping. Considerably more than 12 years ago but cheaper than the ones you were looking at. Mom and pop outfit (at least it was when we went there, I assume they still are). We found out about them on here way back when. I think from Oldtimer.
Thank you! I just bookmarked the site.

Yesterday a conversation broke out on another forum I am on, concerning if those that aren't actively involved in ranching that wear western clothing are wearing a costume or a uniform. My idea was that wearing clothes that aid in the various task of ranching make it a functional work uniform, whereas those that just admire the cowboy stereotype that wears such clothes are wearing a costume.

I was reminded of Yvonne that had her uniform mistaken for a costume. Take a listen, a very good story by a first-class lady rancher and poet.

I mostly wear coveralls. In winter use insulated coveralls with muck boots. Have winter spurs that fit muck boots. Ball cap with two or three toques pulled down on top of each other. Sheep skin vest underneath.
Summer mostly coveralls and work boots.
I dont get the fancy clothes for livestock. I would just wreck them and be doing laundry everyday.
If you want a laugh look up images of farm girl on Google. Definitely costume. See like an idiot I joined one of these on line dating sights. Haha you should see the pictures I was sent.

I know that the guy who owns the "Squeaky Stirrup"saddle shop in Baker got a custom made one from someone down south of Burns. Next time I see him I will ask for the name and contact info.
Ran into him today at the lumber yard. He said that his hat was made by Top Knot Hats. They have a facebook page. Contact number is 541-219-1777. He told me that they run about $450.

Ran into him today at the lumber yard. He said that his hat was made by Top Knot Hats. They have a facebook page. Contact number is 541-219-1777. He told me that they run about $450.
Thanks! I mentioned your post about a Burns hat maker to a young lady down the road and she asked her Grandma that lives somewhere around there and she said the maker is Lisa Robinson in Silver Lake. I revived my Facebook so I could contact her as the link to Top Knot Hats goes to some unrelated cap maker in France or somewhere like that. I am considering this one but with a raw edge and 3 1/2" brim in the natural gray-brown beaver. All she makes is 100X. I can't decide if the 3 1/2" brim will look to diva horsegirlish. The one shown is a 4" brim.

267720876_888193688563110_8083943145574338415_n.jpg

Last edited:
I just got in touch with Lisa and the price is now $500 plus $40 shipping for all her hats. She makes only 100x. I am seriously thinking about getting one, but I must do some juggling since some other unexpected expenses blindsided me this month. I like the idea of a handmade hat from Oregon ranch country.

@Nicky and @Faster horses I need your opinion on whether I should go with a 4" or 3 1/2" brim. I cannot decide. I am afraid a 4" will look a bit buckerooish, but maybe a 3 1/2" might look like a fashion diva. Maybe I should go with 3 3/4" and call it a compromise. It is a tough decision. :)

I don't wear a hat, but Mike's felt hat's are all 3 1/2. His straw is 4, only because that was all he could find. Pretty sure you won't look divaish either way, ;)

I think I will go with a 3" brim. I think that would work best and maybe be better in the wind which is blowing like crazy today. I must remember I live in a windy country. How come you don't wear a hat @Nicky ? My mother never wore a hat, just a scarf.

Last edited:
I wear a baseball cap, never have been able to keep a cowboy hat in the wind.
For the last few years, I have been going with a big bill cap, but after they took skin cancer off the back of my ears, I am thinking of a hat even if I have to pin a scarf inside and then tie the scarp under my chin. One of my grandmas did this and it worked well. My mother only wore a straw hat pinned to her scarf on a few occasions while gardening, but most times just a scarf. She hated ball caps.

And who gives a fat furry pack rats behind?
Just thought I should point that out to you. Obviously you don't care for his expert opinion in the world of hat fashion.
I have thought about one of these 100x custom hats. But I need to wear out the hats which I already have before investing in a new expensive one.

Just thought I should point that out to you. Obviously you don't care for his expert opinion in the world of hat fashion.
I have thought about one of these 100x custom hats. But I need to wear out the hats which I already have before investing in a new expensive one.
MC 22222.jpg

Last edited:
Flat Brim by MC
Sung to the tune of Big Iron by Marty Robbins

On the forum of net ranchers, typed a stranger one fine day
Boastfully typed to folks welcoming him, he had way too much to say
Everyone well knew his business, everyone saw the tomcat
For the stranger there among 'em wore a George Strait cowboy hat
A George Strait cowboy hat

It was early in the mornin' when he appeared on the net
Came postin' from the urban side, quickly wanting to make a bet
"He's a roper, with no lariat swingin'", came a whisper from each lip
"He's here to do some business with the big W on his hip
Big W on his hip"

On this net there was an old woman by the name of Oregon Fay
Many men had tried to impress her, how many we cannot say
She was widowed and a loner, though a senior of sixty nine
And the stains on her flat brim made chills run up the spine
Chills run up the spine

Now the stranger started talkin', made it plain to folks that read
Was a roper and a bragger, placed a rope round the head
He came there to impress the ranchers with rodeo of the day
Said he knew rodeo better than mountain woman Oregon Fay
Mountain woman Oregon Fay

Wasn't long before this story was relayed to Oregon Fay
But the roper didn't worry, about a woman photographing hay
Many men had tried to take her, twenty men had made a slip
Twenty-one would be the roper with the big W on his hip
Big W on his hip

The mornin' passed so quickly, it was time for them to post
It was twenty past eleven when he posed and made his boast
Folks were watchin' on their screens, everybody held their peace
They knew this roper's hat was about to get a crease
About to get a crease

There was fiber optics between them when they stopped to make their play
And the swift wit of the mountain woman is still talked about today
Roper braggin' had just posted, wearing his George Strait he said
Was better than the woman with the flat-brimmed on her head
The flat brim on her head

It was over in a moment and the folks had gathered 'round
Right there strait before them lay the hat of the roper on the ground
Oh, he might have gone on braggin' but he made one fatal thread
When he tried to match the cattle woman with the flat-brimmed on her head
The flat brim on her head

FLAAAAT BRIIIIMMMM!!!

flat brim.jpg

(Well maybe a bit of a pencil crease down in front and up at the back hahaha)

Last edited:
Marty Robbins did big Iron. Micheal Martin Murphy is just about as bad if a singer as I've heard. Can't stand him. Wasn't even a cowboy and May as well be a dude for what it's worth. Marty Robbins was awesome. He'd roll over in his grave to know MMM redid his classic. All this is my own opinion of course. Feel free to enjoy music as you see fit

Latest posts