• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Uniform or Costume?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Marty Robbins did big Iron. Micheal Martin Murphy is just about as bad if a singer as I've heard. Can't stand him. Wasn't even a cowboy and May as well be a dude for what it's worth. Marty Robbins was awesome. He'd roll over in his grave to know MMM redid his classic. All this is my own opinion of course. Feel free to enjoy music as you see fit
My mistake! I knew Marty wrote and sang it. I don't know why I thought MMM had written it since he came later. I will get that corrected. Not many good singers after guys like Marty Robbins left us. Marty is my all-time favorite singer.

Last edited:
A great song by a real deal rodeo cowboy and first-class human. I guess his son Ned still performs this song. This hat story seems to fit into this discussion. When you look at an old rancher's hat, chances are there are more stories than you can imagine involving that hat. I wish I still had my old flat-brimmed flat crown 100X hat that was made in Colorado. It was stolen off my head in a crowd at Cheif Joseph Days rodeo back in the late 70s, maybe early 80s, I cannot remember the year but I remember the rodeo. Bob Tallman was the announcer and it was a hot day and then suddenly a cold rain hit and the temperature dropped 30 degrees or more.

Last edited:
I was gone yesteday, enjoying Mother's Day with my great-grandkids.
So I'm late to comment.
I think 3 or 3 1/2" would fit you well, MC. Will 3" cover your neck enough?

H--MMM. I'm not a fan of his music, but I'm a fan of the fact he keeps the Western
way of life alive. I've also never cared for Glen Campbell. Marty Robbins, Red Stegall, Chris LeDoux,
Don Edwards, Kyle Evans, Wylie and the Wild West, Ian Tyson, those are cowboy singers I like, just to name a few. I'm sure there are more.

I've probably mentioned it before, but we used to listen to Chris LeDoux when he sat in the back in the Bison Bar in Buffalo Wyoming and played and sang. It was very low-key. He went to Nashville many times, but never got a break until Garth Brooks mentioned 'a worn-out tape of Chris LeDoux.' I have heard that Chris taught Garth a lot of what he did on stage. We stayed in Chris LeDoux's house in Kaycee when a friend rented it. It was log, of course, very rustic, and the bathroom was a 2-seater outhouse style, but it did flush. 🤣 The world lost a good one when Chris LeDoux passed.

Not that it is of any importance, but one of his son's wife is my dermatologist in town.

Ned LeDoux sounds very much like his father.

So I'm late to comment.

H--MMM. I'm not a fan of his music, but I'm a fan of the fact he keeps the Western
way of life alive. I've also never cared for Glen Campbell. Marty Robbins, Red Stegall, Chris LeDoux,
Don Edwards, Kyle Evans, Wylie and the Wild West, Ian Tyson, those are cowboy singers I like, just to name a few. I'm sure there are more.

I've probably mentioned it before, but we used to listen to Chris LeDoux when he sat in the back in the Bison Bar in Buffalo Wyoming and played and sang. It was very low-key. He went to Nashville many times, but never got a break until Garth Brooks mentioned 'a worn-out tape of Chris LeDoux.' I have heard that Chris taught Garth a lot of what he did on stage. We stayed in Chris LeDoux's house in Kaycee when a friend rented it. It was log, of course, very rustic, and the bathroom was a 2-seater outhouse style, but it did flush. 🤣 The world lost a good one when Chris LeDoux passed.

Not that it is of any importance, but one of his son's wife is my dermatologist in town.

3" would be marginal so I think I will do 3 1/2" with a bit of a very gentle pencil roll and have the flat crown a bit higher than buckaroo style. That should protect my ear backs where they removed some big spots.

So I'm late to comment.

I am not a real fan of Glen Campbell either but one has to give him credit for this one. Unbelievable guitar player……

Latest posts