• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Unless somebody has a better idea...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
...I guess I'll do what I always do. Had a 10 month old heifer calf get hung up in a feeder a while ago and did some damage to a hind leg. Guess it caused it to freeze, anyway today the foot fell off. Anyone ever kept one like that that made out alright? I can't imagine it working out, and so am going to look after her tomorrow unless someone has been through this and had a favorable experience with a 3 footed cow.

We had 2 that had froze off 2 feet each. Put them in a small pen and fattened them out. We are eating on one right now. Never got real big. I think the hanging weight was about 600, but they were froze as babies. If you were closer, I would buy it from you.
For a cow... nope. Eat her!

I am with WP; if she can eat feed try to get some fill on her, then harvest. The beef in our freezer is from a frozen footed 2 yr. old. The beef getting fat is a broken ankled yearling.
Obviously if the animal is in distress, you know the right thing.

I had a yearling bull one time that tried to jump a gate his leg came down around the end of the gate and wedged between the gate and the post he ended up breaking his leg. Most of the time when a critter breaks his leg it will heal up in 6 weeks or so. But this was a compound fracture. I turned him out in a pasture and forgot about him. About two weeks later I noticed his leg fell off . I was going to shoot him but I noticed it really didn't bother him much. Finally it haired over we cut him and fattened him up and ate him so all was not lost.

Latest posts