• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Update from our daughter Sunflower in London, May 13, 2014

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Hi Dad!

I'm sure Mom told you yesterday, but I wanted to also share with you the award I received last night at the Exhibition. When my friend Anna and I arrived, I noticed a sticker near my name that hadn't been there before, saying I was "The recipient of the Peter Abbey Trust Prize for Overall Achievement and Excellence." I had no idea what that meant, but immediately felt honored.

Then later, the Dean of Wimbledon Art College himself and the three female teachers from my course gathered before my work and presented me with the official letter. He shook my hand and congratulated me, and seemed genuinely thrilled that I would be continuing on at Wimbledon. They were all so engaging, and warm, giving me their heartfelt esteem and appreciation.

In the words of Abigail, I was "gob-smacked". I felt so honored and grateful. The Dean also said that the instructor of Technical Arts was very much looking forward to having me in class next year, and was impressed with our brief encounter during an Open Day at the college. We probably stood and talked for 5-8 minutes, and it was a wonderful moment. I thought you'd want to know. I'll attach a copy of the letter so you can read it.

They said there was also a "small monetary reward," but that the check would come later. They didn't say how much, and I didn't dare ask. It really doesn't matter anyway! It was all such a shock and honor! They said this was the first year they've ever given out this award, and that I had set the bar high. I'm not trying to brag, but thought you'd appreciate hearing their encouraging words. :wink:

I love you! Can't wait to see you next week!

Also yesterday, while I'm thinking of it, I received an email from a man wanting to commission me to make some stop-motion sets for a project he's doing in Camberwell! It, too, seemed an unforeseen honor! I had to gracefully decline, as it was for June 21st, but felt happy to have been recommended by the staff to head up such a project. :)

Congratulations to parents and the artistic daughter. She is a treasure, not only to her family, but to her community (recalling some of the cakes she decorated that were shown here in the past) wherever that community may be (re. the commissioned work she had to turn down).

Does she take photo's over there to share with you? And might they find their way onto this site? I ask because one of my grandmothers came from England, along with her family in the late 1800's. I'm not even sure where they were located, other than 'the outskirts of London'. Most were teachers, I believe. There was a cousin who visited here a couple of times and was interesting, but so entranced with the 'wild west' that we couldn't get a lot of information out of her, as she was asking about our history and lives here so much of the time.

Hope you all enjoy your time with her at home. I'm guessing your community is like ours, and people who come back home from distant places are really embraced and quizzed about the places and things they have seen, as well as just loving to see them home again for however long they can stay.

mrj

It sure is nice to have my humble opinion reinforced by the Dean of Wimbleton Art College. Projects by Sunflower that have been posted here were very impressive, she really is talented. She made fine art out of cake! I remember seeing one painting that looked professional, too. And she's still young, she hasn't even done her best work yet.

Congratulations!

That all sounds like a great experience for her and very exciting. Congtats!

The letter brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye . You all must be so very proud of her accomplishments :D

Congratulations to your daughter !!!
I too have been in awe of her work , she is very gifted and must work extremely hard to hone her craft .

Very happy for you that she will be home soon and wish her safe travels :tiphat:

Latest posts