• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Update on bottle calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

alabama

Reaction score
My bottle calf is no longer a bottle calf. He has decided that he would much rather have fresh cows milk and turns up his nose at the bottle. That rascal can steel all the milk he wants but he has a mother in the heifer that lost her calf. While he prefers that heifer, he steels a little from most of the other cows while they are nursing their calves. The guy is growing like a waterweed. He is also creep feeding.
I thought he might be trouble by pushing me a following me around but that is not the case. He still comes up to see me when I check cows but he does not stay long.
I guess I got lucky with this one.
Thanks for all the good advice while trying to save this nice bull calf.

His X mother has not left yet but it won't be long. She is comming up to feed in the evenings and after I breed the cows in that pasture I will bring the trailer over and let her take a ride to town.
You know that dern cow is feeding every calf in the pasture. She would not take her calf so after I took him home she starts feeding all the others.
I am going to a sale this weekend and try to pick up some nice young replacement cows. If I get some good ones she ain't the only cow I got going to get wheels under them. I better cull now while the price is up.

I got one I'm bottle feedin as well.......n I like that term..."Ex Mother"...she just had this lil heifer calf and walked off...never looked back. I watched this calf all of one day lay by the creek..mom never once seemed to take notice..late that evenin I went to check to see if "mom" had come to feed. Nope....mom wasn't bein a mom at all..calf was weak and couldnt go good...bellered..mom said zip...didnt even look up from eatin grass.....I took calf to her....she walked off again. Yeap I"m stuck bottle feedin and "Ex Mother" will be takin a ride the next go round when we work cows.

BAMA,
Does your calf have a name? Registered name???? If not I'm thinking ranchers net something??? Umm ranchers net company? What is the breeding on the calf????

katrina: I have not registered the calf yet but here is his breeding.

Damn = Burberrys Rosebud 988; AAA number = 13550475 she is a G D A R Royce 131 daughter out of a G A R Precision 1680 daughter. http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_dtl.html?A=0E061F55555E45425958425F58435B5542554F425A4F405D520F&B=44465F4D44594047[/url]
Sire = Billy; AAA number 14386555 he is a son of S A Neutron 377 and his momma is a Pine Drive Big Sky daughter. http://www.angus.org/common/epd_ped_dtl.html?A=0E061F55555E45425958425F58435B5542554F425A4F405D520F&B=44465F4D44594047

I am always looking for good names. Any suggestions.

Bama,
1,Billy Burberry Rancher
2,Ranchers Rosebud Drive.(my favorite)
3,Big Sky Rosebud
4,Ranchin Billy Royce
5Ranchers net Drive By.
6,Burberry Neutron
7,Rancher Burberry Billy.
8.Ranchers Percision Sky
9, Ranchers percision Drive
10, Hound Dog :wink:
Lets have a poll to name your baby Alabama...

Alabama,
Okay(Yippeee) Since your the engineer, do you want to have a poll or just everyone place there two cents... Do you have any other names? The ball is in your court......

Dang..makes me glad I raise commercial cows..can't imagine havin to come up with names for all of em for registration........I'm doin good to come up with names like..."Aunt Jemima, Pokey, Molly, Sug, Panda, etc......most of em tho only go by their ear tag number...few of em when we first started got names cuz Amanda (my daughter) was little...and she'd try to tell me somethin about a cow.....n I didn't know which one she was talkin bout...so we started givin em names. Thank goodness she outgrew that n learned her numbers..or I'd still be tryin to think up names haha
Good luck Alabama on comin up with a name....

My daughter said name him Mr. Spacey after George Jetson's boss.
Most of my bulls end up in commercial herds so the name does not matter. The females are named after their dams just to keep in line with angus association suggestions. This year I think most of the bulls are going to get Jetson cartoon names like George, Elroy, and whatever the dogs name is. She also said some should be named after the Flintstones this year. Barney, Fred, Deno, Dash Riprock, Bam Bam and what Fred's boss's name was? That still ain't enough. Whom am I missing?

I hadda bull named Rhett Butler....he wasn't registered..that's just the name I gave him......one that I have now is named Emory..after the man I bought him from..and another two I bought from same man..(his last name was Bond) the bulls became James Bond...and Double 0 Seven

Alabama said:
Most of my bulls end up in commercial herds so the name does not matter. The females are named after their dams just to keep in line with angus association suggestions. This year I think most of the bulls are going to get Jetson cartoon names like George, Elroy, and whatever the dogs name is. She also said some should be named after the Flintstones this year. Barney, Fred, Deno, Dash Riprock, Bam Bam and what Fred's boss's name was? That still ain't enough. Whom am I missing?

Mr Slate!!!! That's been picking my a$$ all day! :)

Alabama said:

Dog's name was Sprocket?

what about the little green guy on the flintstones? Gazoo i think his name was.

Latest posts