• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Update on NCBA's $2 Million Checkoff Cash Advance...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tommy

Reaction score
beefcheckoff | July 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Categories: Uncategorized | URL: http://wp.me/p1BxtA-31

On August 28, 2009 the Cattlemen's Beef Board agreed to advance its primary contractor $2 million in checkoff funds (available in the CBB Annual Report). The June 16, 2011 CBB Executive Committee meeting minutes (available on the Beef Board web site) show that NCBA STILL OWES $1 million of that advance from checkoff coffers. The CBB Executive Committee has directed staff to "refine" the repayment process.
The minutes also show that NCBA has asked to receive payment from the checkoff for vendors PRIOR to NCBA's payment of those vendors.

Here's the Financial Report section of the June 16 minutes:
Financial Report
Weldon Wynn, CBB secretary/treasurer, presented the Beef Board's financial statements for the period ending May 2011. Mr. Wynn reported that domestic revenue and interest income was up from the same period last year and import revenues were down from this same time last year.

CFO Katherine Ayers updated the committee on the repayment of the $2 million advance on expenditures made to NCBA. Ms. Ayers reported that $1 million has been repaid, and staff is currently working on a plan for the repayment of the other $1 million. Ms. Ayers also reported that NCBA and CBB staff are working together on a process to modify the invoice review and approval process, whereby NCBA would request payment from CBB for agreed-upon vendors prior to NCBA's payment of those vendors and NCBA would submit a monthly bill for estimated implementation expenses. CBB would true-up the estimated implementation expenses within an agreed-upon timeframe.

The Executive Committee directed staff to continue to work on refining the repayment process.
Ms. Ayers also presented an amendment to the FY 2011 detailed administration budget to the Executive Committee.

Dan Dierschke moved and Jane Clifford seconded to approve the amended FY 2011 detailed administration budget. Motion passed.

Tommy said:
beefcheckoff | July 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Categories: Uncategorized | URL: http://wp.me/p1BxtA-31

On August 28, 2009 the Cattlemen's Beef Board agreed to advance its primary contractor $2 million in checkoff funds (available in the CBB Annual Report). The June 16, 2011 CBB Executive Committee meeting minutes (available on the Beef Board web site) show that NCBA STILL OWES $1 million of that advance from checkoff coffers. The CBB Executive Committee has directed staff to "refine" the repayment process.
The minutes also show that NCBA has asked to receive payment from the checkoff for vendors PRIOR to NCBA's payment of those vendors.

Here's the Financial Report section of the June 16 minutes:
Financial Report
Weldon Wynn, CBB secretary/treasurer, presented the Beef Board's financial statements for the period ending May 2011. Mr. Wynn reported that domestic revenue and interest income was up from the same period last year and import revenues were down from this same time last year.

CFO Katherine Ayers updated the committee on the repayment of the $2 million advance on expenditures made to NCBA. Ms. Ayers reported that $1 million has been repaid, and staff is currently working on a plan for the repayment of the other $1 million. Ms. Ayers also reported that NCBA and CBB staff are working together on a process to modify the invoice review and approval process, whereby NCBA would request payment from CBB for agreed-upon vendors prior to NCBA's payment of those vendors and NCBA would submit a monthly bill for estimated implementation expenses. CBB would true-up the estimated implementation expenses within an agreed-upon timeframe.

The Executive Committee directed staff to continue to work on refining the repayment process.
Ms. Ayers also presented an amendment to the FY 2011 detailed administration budget to the Executive Committee.

Dan Dierschke moved and Jane Clifford seconded to approve the amended FY 2011 detailed administration budget. Motion passed.

Beef demand because of NCBA spending beef checkoff money has not increased. It has only allowed NCBA to turn it into a good old boys club with meat packers who have big positions in the substitute meats and NCBA members carrying water for their meat mafia friends.

How disgusting to see a good program get captured by the meat packers and their interests instead of the interests of those paying the checkoff.

If demand does increase but all the extra dollars demand increases cause go into meat packer pockets instead of producer's pockets, then the meat packers have achieved a major coupe over the interests of cattlemen paying for the program.

Tex

The Beef Board, an organization of beef and dairy producers appointed by the agriculture secretary, manages the beef checkoff and names 10 members to the Beef Operating Committee, which determines programs that will be funded with checkoff dollars.

The Federation is one of NCBA's two divisions, acts on checkoff issues and names a second 10 members to the operating committee.

However, because it sits in the same board room with NCBA's public affairs, or policy, division, the Beef Board started to express concerns in recent years that the Federation and policy units were blurring lines, putting the Federation in a policy role that it is legislatively prohibited to be in and threatening the checkoff.

This culminated in the board's executive committee calling last year for the Federation to completely sever its ties with NCBA and re-establish itself as an independent organization (Feedstuffs, June 28, 2010). The Federation refused, arguing that its relationship with NCBA provided important synergies that it would not have independently, and the full Beef Board overturned the executive committee.

In the aftermath, Ramey and then Beef Board chair Tom Jones handed in their resignations.

The reason the NCBA gets a free hand into the cookie jar of the Beef Checkoff and their monopoly can control (rip off) whatever it wants with the cattlemens tax money and direct it wherever they want... :(

A License to Steal more taxpayer money !!!!!

Can anyone give me a good reason why there is a need for the Federation of State Beef Councils other than just to empower the NCBA?
I have asked MJ this question many times and she ducks it.
The CBB has over 100 board members, if they cannot delegate where the money is to be spent then there's something wrong.

Both the Federation and the Cattlemen's Beef Board (CBB) elect 10 members from their respective organizations to sit on the Beef Promotion Operating Committee (BPOC). This 20-member committee makes final national checkoff decisions.
The Federation is made up of mostly, if not all, NCBA people. If the CBB is made up with only 50% NCBA people, which I know it is more than half, that gives NCBA control of where and how the checkoff tax dollars are spent.
Maybe it is time to change the way this is structured. I know of only one way to do that.

Tommy, it will help you understand the system a whole lot better if you read both the Beef Act and the Order. You can find them on the web through a Google search. The two documents outline the roles of the various entities involved.

Many of the things that need to be changed and updated with the checkoff can be handled through changing the Order, which doesn't require congressional action. Changing the Act itself would require Congress to act. Many of the problems at hand can be managed with simple changes to the Order.

For example, seats on checkoff committees should be allocated to all national groups in existence...not just one. What's wrong with making it all-inclusive rather than exclusionary? Checkoff project contracts should be available to all established national groups...not just those in existence when the Act was passed. Overhead or implementation fees should be capped at a certain percentage level so that the program demands efficiencies from contractors rather than an open checkbook.

Ever wonder why we don't see beef advertised on television anymore? Think about that and what might be the reason.

TV advertising is extremely costly. Consumers Checkoff leaders have interviewd read magazines, and have said they like the advertising which contains information about beef quality, safety, and more. Specific magazines read by women in the 18 to 54 age groups are targeted for beef ads. THose ages of women just happen to make the most decisions about what meats are purchased for home use.

There is a lot of advertising done by the more than 50 companies selling branded beef, too, which does not use checkoff money.

Special promotions team up checkoff dollars with companies to leverage checkoff money to achieve more than it could on its own.

Gatepost, you may be ill-informed about who chooses Federation directors. In SD, and probably other states as well, the state beef councils choose their members. They can be members of any cattle organization or of NCBA, but automatically become members OF THE FEDERATION DIVISION of NCBA, which in reality is the STATE Federation of Beef Councils. Members of the Cattlemens' Beef Board (CBB) are from ALL cattle organizations, even those causing the fuss, with their lies some of you seem to believe all too easily. There are even directors who are NOT necessarily members of ANY cattle organization, but are members of LMA in SD who have seats on the SD Beef Council, and also on CBB and possibly the Federation.

It does seem odd that members of LMA, which is not a cattle producer group whose members sell their services to cattle producers are able to have seats on state and national governing boards of the Beef Checkoff. It would be just as logical to have our fuel dealers, feed dealer, bankers assoc., or veterinarians org. demanding seats and telling us how to manage our beef checkoff. None of these groups pay the checkoff. Sure, many auction owners do own cattle, so may pay a checkoff, but so do members of the other groups mentioned. It does give R-CALF more leverage on state Beef Councils, though. What a coincidence!

mrj

The Federation votes on checkoff issues. The policy members vote on POLICY ISSUES ONLY! The money is SEPARATE. Checkoff money does NOT fund Policy issues. This is verifiable for anyone who chooses to find out. Staff may serve both groups, however they account for their time in 15 minute increments according to the project, so checkoff money pays for checkoff time, and dues paying members money pays for policy time.

mrj said:
TV advertising is extremely costly. Consumers Checkoff leaders have interviewd read magazines, and have said they like the advertising which contains information about beef quality, safety, and more. Specific magazines read by women in the 18 to 54 age groups are targeted for beef ads. THose ages of women just happen to make the most decisions about what meats are purchased for home use.

There is a lot of advertising done by the more than 50 companies selling branded beef, too, which does not use checkoff money.

Special promotions team up checkoff dollars with companies to leverage checkoff money to achieve more than it could on its own.

Gatepost, you may be ill-informed about who chooses Federation directors. In SD, and probably other states as well, the state beef councils choose their members. They can be members of any cattle organization or of NCBA, but automatically become members OF THE FEDERATION DIVISION of NCBA, which in reality is the STATE Federation of Beef Councils. Members of the Cattlemens' Beef Board (CBB) are from ALL cattle organizations, even those causing the fuss, with their lies some of you seem to believe all too easily. There are even directors who are NOT necessarily members of ANY cattle organization, but are members of LMA in SD who have seats on the SD Beef Council, and also on CBB and possibly the Federation.

It does seem odd that members of LMA, which is not a cattle producer group whose members sell their services to cattle producers are able to have seats on state and national governing boards of the Beef Checkoff. It would be just as logical to have our fuel dealers, feed dealer, bankers assoc., or veterinarians org. demanding seats and telling us how to manage our beef checkoff. None of these groups pay the checkoff. Sure, many auction owners do own cattle, so may pay a checkoff, but so do members of the other groups mentioned. It does give R-CALF more leverage on state Beef Councils, though. What a coincidence!

mrj

The Federation votes on checkoff issues. The policy members vote on POLICY ISSUES ONLY! The money is SEPARATE. Checkoff money does NOT fund Policy issues. This is verifiable for anyone who chooses to find out. Staff may serve both groups, however they account for their time in 15 minute increments according to the project, so checkoff money pays for checkoff time, and dues paying members money pays for policy time.

MRJ...would you post the magazines that the Beef Checkoff advertises in? My wife could only find it in the Beef magazine. Thanks!

ranch hand, sorry that took so long. I wanted to be sure I got them all, so contacted CBB office. The list is much longer than I realized. I got the entire advertising set up in current use.

Beef checkoff ads in magazines: FOOD MAGAZINES: Bon Appetit, Cooking Light, Dash, Fine Cooking, Food Network, Kraft Food and Family, Saveur, Wine Spectator; HEALTH AND FITNESS: Health, Mens' Health, Shape, Mens' Sports, Esquire, ESPN, Mens' Journal, Popular Mechanics, Sports Illustrated, Sporting News; WOMENS INTEREST: Better Homes & Gardens, Country Living, Family Circle, Red Book, Southern Living; ENTERTAINMENT: People Country; PARENTING: Family Fun; SPECIAL INTEREST PUBLICATIONS: Better Homes & Gardens 'GRILL IT' Bookzine, Gourmet SIP, Fine Cooking Picnic & Barbeque, Fine Cooking Make It Tonght, Cooking Light, Mens' Health, Food Network Magazine (8 page inset, Grilling)

Radio: a mix of National Syndicated Network Radio ads, Satellite radio ads, Spot Market radio ads. Programming includes everything from Martha Stewart Living radio show, to Major League baseball, Sirius Nascar radio, and features on 7500 stations across the nation.

The 'voice' of the ads on radio has quantitative data showing awareness of 'the voice' for the ads is very strong across every demographic (age, incom levels, household composition) and 94% of consumers who are aware of him find him appealing and likeable, an unusually high score for a celebrity. {I did hear one of those ads this morning, and agree that the radio voice is fine, but do not know if he is a recognized (therefore costly!) celebrity or not}.

ONLINE: Recipe and Lifestyle focused sites such as: www.allrecipes.com, www.BetterHomesandGardens.com and more are used.

Placements are based on market research and strategic outreach coordinated from local to national level. Key audiences are identified, reached, and verified, as is the effectiveness of the messages sent to them via the ads.

Beef Checkoff funded ads will appear in 27 popular magazines 77 times in 2011.

I have to say, I heard the current SD Beef Council radio ad this morning and am not sure it is much more than a 'feel good' ad. It basically repeats the "Beef, It's What's For Dinner" slogan several times and "Beef, it's the good stuff", but no mention of nutrition or calorie benefits of beef, which is what we NEED to counter the misinformation about beef. The sounds of the sirloin sizzling may be appealing, but a photo is far more enticing for most people. I hope there is implementation of a means to chart any change in consumption of beef in SD for the great cost of this project in a state with so few people and so many cattle. Our advertising money would be far better spent in more populous states, IMO.

Sorry for the information overload, but it is important for cattle producers to know what the checkoff money really does, and how the projects are so well designed, researched, with follow-up done to see how effective CONSUMERS believe the ads are for their needs.

And I'm serving our cowboys chicken tomorrow when they work cattle!

I need a cold meal, and, at the moment, have no beef that will work, and several great chickens from Millerdale Colony in my freezer, so fried up four of them yesterday, then froze it again, and it will be just right at noon tomorrow after I haul the meal 26 miles to the 'last outpost' on the ranch. Now, off to make the potato salad and maybe a Pina Colada salad, and will ONLY have to cut up the watermelon, make the iced tea, open the can of baked beans, and load the food in the morning.

I think I'm getting too old for all that. But am getting wiser and doing it earlier. Thank God for freezers! And ice at the store when I need more than a few trays!

mrj

Tanja:
On a brighter note, I heard a great commercial on the radio today. Matthew McConaughy's sexy voice.promoting Beef. Why yes Matthew, I love a great steak, come visit me and I'll cook him one. :)

Randy: I'm waiting for him to become the voice for the "We're Texas" college football spots...

Tanja: I'd be a big fan if he did! :)

Randy: Well now... ;-)

Jenny: I love him!

Jennifer: yep, he's hot

Tanja: Jen, he should've been on your list this morning. :)

Jennifer: omg. the perfect man is such a compilation no wonder he doesn't exist!! LOL

Heather: Omg I don't even eat red meat and I love that commercial! Beef..its what's for dinner!

Jenny: How about Matthew for dinner haha :)

Heather: Mmmhmm! Now that sounds yummy! May I have another?

I took the above conversation off my FB page a few minutes ago-- apparently some are hearing the ads- and apparently some like "Matthew McConaughy's sexy voice"...
I guess I never have heard him- or at least didn't key to it like these women did.....

Well, OT, if you enjoy FB so much, it sure must be boring here!

Guess I'm just a boring person, but have no idea who McC. is, nor what his claim to fame is, but if the consumers who approved the ad (age range 18 to 54 and is the person making food choices for their household) , isn't it a good thing to 'give consumers what they want'? I believe the 'voice' was chosen for clarity, ennunciation, and other qualities that make actually hearing the message of the commercial more likely.

mrj

mrj said:
Well, OT, if you enjoy FB so much, it sure must be boring here!

Guess I'm just a boring person, but have no idea who McC. is, nor what his claim to fame is, but if the consumers who approved the ad (age range 18 to 54 and is the person making food choices for their household) , isn't it a good thing to 'give consumers what they want'? I believe the 'voice' was chosen for clarity, ennunciation, and other qualities that make actually hearing the message of the commercial more likely.

mrj

Not being a fan/follower of modern movies/tv-I had to look him up too...

Matthew David McConaughey ( /məˈkɒnəheɪ/;[1] born November 4, 1969) is an American actor.

After a series of minor roles in the early 1990s, McConaughey gained notice for his breakout role in Dazed and Confused (1993). He then appeared in films such as A Time to Kill, Contact, U-571, Tiptoes, Sahara, and We Are Marshall. McConaughey is best known more recently for his performances as a leading man in the romantic comedies The Wedding Planner, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Failure to Launch, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past and Fool's Gold.

I guess he has appeal to women- but sure wouldn't to me...May be the reason I've never heard/seen any of his ads.....

I didn't know they had Matthew McC speaking for Beef, but then I've
been out of the loop for several days without internet or phone.
All I can say is WOW. He was People Magazine's 2005 Most Sexiest Man Alive. He owns a ranch in Texas.

He's known as an all-around nice guy. I watched him on Oprah once where he had his dog with him--he talked about his family and
comes across as a regular person. He usually has some humor in his
movies. The movie, "We are Marshall" was based on a true story
and is a classic in my opinion.

The Beef Council did a good job getting Mattew McC as a spokesman
for Beef. I'll bet there aren't many who don't know who he is and
everyone I know, thinks he's a great actor.

Good job, Beef Council!!! Now I'll have to watch/listen for the ads!

Faster horses said:
I didn't know they had Matthew McC speaking for Beef, but then I've
been out of the loop for several days without internet or phone.
All I can say is WOW. He was People Magazine's 2005 Most Sexiest Man Alive. He owns a ranch in Texas.

He's known as an all-around nice guy. I watched him on Oprah once where he had his dog with him--he talked about his family and
comes across as a regular person. He usually has some humor in his
movies. The movie, "We are Marshall" was based on a true story
and is a classic in my opinion.

The Beef Council did a good job getting Mattew McC as a spokesman
for Beef. I'll bet there aren't many who don't know who he is and
everyone I know, thinks he's a great actor.

Good job, Beef Council!!! Now I'll have to watch/listen for the ads!

Yep- not even much of a criminal record- an arrest for a disturbance and another for possession of weed- almost a miracle for Hollywood folks......

The only thing bad I could find about him is he is a big supporter of Texas football.... :( :wink: :lol:

Well, don't we all feel more secure, having 'the law' on this website checking out Mr. McC???

And a list of movies, to boot! I do truly fell out of step, not having heard of any of them. Guess my reading interferes with my education!

I do want to see "The Help" now that I've read the book, so that will probably be my movie of the decade unless a young friend gets another one produced and shown locally.

Thanks for the info FH. I'll try to watch for your favorite. Unless it has too much violence in it. I just don't go for even the predictable old shoot 'em up westerns due to boredom with violence. Maybe that has something to do with raising three sons??? Not that they ever got beyond fairly mild scuffles.

mrj

Nope, no violence in "We are Marshall". Just a true story about a
college football team that was killed in a plane crash along with
the coach. They had to find a new coach and a new team. That's
the story...watch it to see what develops. I think I shall go get it
to watch it again~and it takes a good movie for me to watch
it all the way through the first time...it has to be excellent
for me to want to watch it again.

If you want a lot of humor, watch "Failure to Launch". Matthew
McC lives with his parents and they can't get him to move out.
It's hilarous.

When reviewing the previous page posts, I noticed that Tommy believes I've ducked his question of "why is there a Federation" of State Beef Councils. Not so, I've posted that several times, but he missed it, maybe because it was not on this particular thread.

When the beef checkoff was voluntary, there was an national organization of representatives of the state beef councils or equivalent organization which managed that voluntary checkoff. It was within the National Livestock and Meat Board.

When cattle producers decided that beef needed to be separate from NLMB, that group became to Federation of State Beef Councils and shared office space and staff with NCBA to be more efficient, just as the CBB originally did. It was a 'political' move by groups opposed to the Policy side of NCBA which caused the move of CBB to separate offices, apparently. Who knows how much that has cost in money lost to programs that would help sell more beef, or help improve the quality of beef???? It would take more money away from programs if the Federation were to "stand alone" like some want.

There is NO possible way for the Federation to "empower NCBA". They vote separately via coded voting cards. Federation does not vote on Policy issues. Policy members do not vote on Federation matters.

Tommy, I'd sure like to know how you determined that "the Federation is made up mostly, if not all, of NCBA people.....the CBB is 50% NCBA people, which I know it is...more than half.....gives NCBA control of where and how the checkoff 'tax dollars' are spent...". Shoudln't you be able to show us a valid source of such 'information'?

Federation members are named by their STATE beef councils, and can be from any organization in SD and probably in any state where there is enough interest. I have personally known Federation members who were NOT members of NCBA!

OT's quoted 'story' about bellyaching over various issues with the checkoff Federation is totally off base when claiming "Fed and policy divisions were 'blurring the lines' putting Fed in a policy role...." is totally NOT true. Federation directors CANNOT vote on Policy issues! Policy members CANNOT vote on Federation matters! Whether they are in the same room, or not, makes no difference. It doesn't happen. My suspicion is the article is quoting R-CALF or USCA griping about their version of checkoff ills. Not always an accurate source, btw.

The sad thing is, none of this hysteria would have happened had not some small groups decided they wanted more power for their organization.

The reason for the 'no new organizations' clause in the checkoff Act and Order was to prevent a new bureaucracy forming simply to live off the Beef Checkoff. That a so called cattlemens' organization (brought to life by livestock marketing organizations, and STILL largely sustained by their sale barn fund raisers) got it's nose out of joint and felt 'left out' is sad.

But what is saddest of all is that NONE of that would have happened if cattle producers who wondered what the checkoff is doing would simply find out for themselves exactly what is being done with their money! There is so much going on, to benefit us in so many ways, that it is definitely difficult to keep up with it. But just try it. You might even find that there IS a lot of good things going on with our Beef Checkoff!!! Check the websites, check your state Beef Council, ask the neighbor who serves on one of the boards. Go to the meetings. They are open to ALL cattle producers. It ususally is difficult to get volunteers. You might even be surprised to find yourself on a beef council board if you offer to help!!!

mrj

Latest posts