• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

US Drought Outlook

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Perhaps a self fulfilling prophecy.

I keep hearing more people borrowing trouble, wishing we'd get snow or rain "as it's been so dry".

I refuse to worry about it, as I am sure it will do me no good. I will plan for it, but not worry., God will send what I need., He always has.

Of course, some years evidently I haven't needed as much as others or as much as I thought I needed. But he knows. :)

Jinglebob said:

I keep hearing more people borrowing trouble, wishing we'd get snow or rain "as it's been so dry".

I refuse to worry about it, as I am sure it will do me no good. I will plan for it, but not worry., God will send what I need., He always has.

Of course, some years evidently I haven't needed as much as others or as much as I thought I needed. But he knows. :)

That is pretty much my philosophy, take what we get and deal with it when it arrives.

I dont put much stock into the weather folks forecast, bout 24 hrs is bout as good as they get, any longer than that and i got an old cow dog that can predict the weather better.
remember these are the same folks than predicted a terrible huricane season couple years in a row, then when it got late in the season they re- predicted a mild one, few days later Florida got hit by one and before it was over i think they had 14.
So no I dont think they are any better'n 24 hours after that they pretty much flop, I watch my old dogs if their ears are up and there tail is high mild weather, ears down and tails tucked, weather is gonna turn sour.
good luck

gcreekrch said:
Jinglebob said:

That is pretty much my philosophy, take what we get and deal with it when it arrives.

i didn't ask you to put any faith in it, just something to look at. the worst time to prepare for a drought is when you are already in one. they probably got this outlook wrong, just like alot of their other predictions as Hay Maker mentioned. we'll see........

You're right Justin. Didn't mean to sound any different, if we are always prepared for the worst there aren't too many surprises.

A drought actually doesn't hurt us much other than reduced tonnage per acre. It does create more ground for us to cover and also more ground for the cattle to use as pasture when the swamps start drying up. Our calves will always weigh more in drought conditions as it hardens this soft grass.

We just have to roll with the punches. :)

I like my weather man to tell me what the weather was like yesterday...that way he is usually correct, and I don't get so upset with him!

Justin said:
gcreekrch said:
Jinglebob said:

i didn't ask you to put any faith in it, just something to look at. the worst time to prepare for a drought is when you are already in one. they probably got this outlook wrong, just like alot of their other predictions as Hay Maker mentioned. we'll see........
Sorry, thought you were looking for comments. Gave my opinion and sure didn't intend to ruffle your feathers. :)

Jinglebob said:
Justin said:
gcreekrch said:

Sorry, thought you were looking for comments. Gave my opinion and sure didn't intend to ruffle your feathers. :)

:roll:

JB, I always have believed Mr Haney over there at Punkin Center has it right when he says winter is a good time for a drought. :wink: :wink: :wink:

John SD said:
JB, I always have believed Mr Haney over there at Punkin Center has it right when he says winter is a good time for a drought. :wink: :wink: :wink:

that i would agree with :D

John SD said:
:lol: :lol:

Yup.

I used to think you had to have snow all winter for moisture in the spring. Dad kept telling me that it could rain enough to even fill dams. Seems like it took a long time before I ever seen it. But sure have since.

Yup, great time for a drought and a heat wave. I keep thinking, it's warmer than normal and drier than normal now, so this spring and summer it will be cooler and wetter than normal. Works for me! :D

nuthin I like better'n cussin packers and the weather man especially during a drought, just makes me feel better :D :D
adios, my ride is here, see yall in the morning.
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
nuthin I like better'n cussin packers and the weather man especially during a drought, just makes me feel better :D :D
adios, my ride is here, see yall in the morning.
good luck

Since you have a ride does that make you the "Designated drinker"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You never know, January was gorgeous, warm and dry here... then February came. It has been crappy weather the entire month, cold and a lot of snow, so just enjoy your weather and low feed costs and don't worry about it, there's plenty of time for spring moisture to come :wink: :D .

Latest posts