• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

US Livestock Business in Trouble

Help Support Ranchers.net:

GLA

Reaction score
I'm beginning to believe that maybe R-CALF was right about the USDA. What in the world is going on when they allow this cow to be imported and slaughtered? What if she was 31 months old, that is still over the limit. 30 months is 30 months. Who the hell do these inspectors think they are? Is there more to the story that we don't know? What in the world was this small slaughter house thinking......do they think they are invisible?

As we approach $3 gas, just how many people will drive to the supermarket to pay for high priced beef? But we need these high prices just to pay for OUR $3 gas and $2.50 diesel! We sure as hell don't need news like this.....it just adds fuel to the fire for consumers to quit buying beef! Wake up America!!

Irrigated farmers in our area are just about done. We already have some big farmers quitting after this year. I will predict that next year, in the Panhandle of Texas, our corn acreage will be down 25% or more......guess what that will do to the price of gain!! Not many folks know how to farm dryland, in our country.

Just learned that starting in 2006, all cattle entering Texas will have to be ID'd....that is mandatory......according to the Texas Animal Health Commission. So that will mean everything in Texas will have to be ID'd before they can sell. It begins!!

GLA,
The economy is great, agricuture is booming.....listen to these brilliant commodity brokers, extension guru's, economist. Hell, yesterday we had an economist at Indiana Univ say the high gas prices were NOT having a negative effect on the economy. THIS IS ECONOMY IS BULIT ON FRAUD! The Dot COm economy of the 90's was as phony as a 3 dollar bill, but the economist still think Big BIll was a financial genius! God, we sit around and wait on the Holy Grail....the cattle on feed report!" We can't wait for the USDA manipulated Crop Reports........We are downsizing all aspects of Agriculture in the USA................we have to deal with it. We have downsized about everything else why does AG think we can grow?
We are weaning calves that weigh 200+ pounds more than we did 25 years ago, we are growing crops that yield 25-40 % more than years ago......we are producing ourelves out of a job in Agriculture.
AHH, but we have brighter days ahead..................keep buying into this AG ECONOMIST BS and sit by your computer, TV, ag paper waiting on those absolute TRUE Fact and Figures...................... :roll:
The Beef Cattle Industry will NEVER be together again............the line in the sand has become the Grand Canyon and nobody has balls enough to jump it!

GLA ,Do you have a press release or hot air on that Statement ?????

Just learned that starting in 2006, all cattle entering Texas will have to be ID'd....that is mandatory......according to the Texas Animal Health Commission. So that will mean everything in Texas will have to be ID'd before they can sell. It begins!!

That is why I support R-Calf. I believe they are the only ones that are trying to stand up to the corruption we have in our country. I am afraid that there isn't enough money to fight the big guns. It is going to take the consumer to realize what is going on before something might have a chance of changing. I fear that day when they become informed.

We are weaning calves that weigh 200+ pounds more than we did 25 years ago, we are growing crops that yield 25-40 % more than years ago......we are producing ourselves out of a job in Agriculture.

But, by God, farmers HAVE to keep using those Chemicals, Fertilizers, and growth hormones, or they will not make it. Time for us all to get our heads out of the sand and stop lining the multinational Pharm and Chem companies while - "producing ourselves out of a job in Agriculture."

your right on the money Randy. Where did the days of 1/2 summerfallow go. Now we hardly ever see a blackened summerfallow field. Alll chemfallow. Which is lining Monsantos pocket again. If there was half the grain grown and lower yields prices would be higher. Same with cattle , lighter weaning rates higher prices.

Time for us all to get our heads out of the sand and stop lining the multinational Pharm and Chem companies while - "producing ourselves out of a job in Agriculture."

God Bless You for stepping up to the plate!!! I AGREE 100%
Porker, SS will nevere be a player in thei ID thing....stick a fork in them!!

Below is an interesting article that addresses some of the things brought up in this thread.

Hope you can get past the Okie accent.

http://www.competitivemarkets.com/news_and_events/newsletters/2005/aug6Ugarte.htm

I have been told,so i am not sure exactly how correct this is,but this person said there is 100 days worth of grain in the world.To be turned into food for human consumption,then there will be a shortage of grain.Why not after harvest,leave the grain in the bin until after christmas,and see what happens to the grain prices.I won't get rich selling 34 cent a bushel barley anyways.I would be willing to set land a side for summerfallow next year,and every year after that.We have nothing to loose,and lots to gain if we can cause our own shortage!! If every rancher,and farmer left 15% of there cows open for a year.We could cause our own shortage in cattle.The rancher needs big calves in the fall,just so they can pay the bills and have some money left over to live on.The grain farmer has to have high yielding crops,so they can make the chemical companys even richer,and machinery dealerships.It's time to wake up,and smell the coffee people!!Everyone is getting rich off of us,except us.The people that own the commodity in the first place,and we do all the work.What other business besides farming or ranching do you know,that are told what they are going to get for what they have to sell??NONE!!And i am tired of it!!Other people can make a decent living doing what they do,why can't they pay us fair value,for what we have to sell?

3words said:
I have been told,so i am not sure exactly how correct this is,but this person said there is 100 days worth of grain in the world.To be turned into food for human consumption,then there will be a shortage of grain.Why not after harvest,leave the grain in the bin until after christmas,and see what happens to the grain prices.I won't get rich selling 34 cent a bushel barley anyways.I would be willing to set land a side for summerfallow next year,and every year after that.We have nothing to loose,and lots to gain if we can cause our own shortage!! If every rancher,and farmer left 15% of there cows open for a year.We could cause our own shortage in cattle.The rancher needs big calves in the fall,just so they can pay the bills and have some money left over to live on.The grain farmer has to have high yielding crops,so they can make the chemical companys even richer,and machinery dealerships.It's time to wake up,and smell the coffee people!!Everyone is getting rich off of us,except us.The people that own the commodity in the first place,and we do all the work.What other business besides farming or ranching do you know,that are told what they are going to get for what they have to sell??NONE!!And i am tired of it!!Other people can make a decent living doing what they do,why can't they pay us fair value,for what we have to sell?

It costs money to store grain and to feed open cows. You need to do a cost/benefit analysis. Not saying it won't work, but you need to overcome those costs and come out ahead.

Does anybody have a guess how much it costs to grow a bushel of Corn?

Not just the producers cost, but total cost from start to finish?

My contact had visited with the head of the Texas Animal Health commission who told him about the mandatory ID in 2006. I don't doubt my contact as he is a member of the Dept of Defense's Strategic Defense Committee. He is in direct contact with those people who are in charge.....I have questioned his information before......I have learned not to doubt what he tells me.........therefore that is my best answer to the question of whether or not my info is "hot air"!

The other question about the price of raising a bushel of corn is very interesting. In the Midwest it would be very different from the costs the irrigated farmer has to live with. Sure would like to see this answer!!

GLA

Trying to find out what is cost to raise a bu of corn is like trying to find out what it cost to raise a 500 pound feeder calf.................it varies a bunch. Some producer operate on 100 % borrowed money and other do nothave to borrow a dime. AND many in between....go figure. I think the real question is how many cows , how many acres do youhave to have to make a net profit of $40,000 @ year for a family????

GLA, I'm not just talking about the cost to you the "grower", but what about the expenses that go into developing the seed, the transportation and marketing of said seed, the growing, harvesting etc.

I have read that it is over $1000/bushel. Not hard to believe when you take into account capital costs, fuel and expenses.

Maybe Agman can help out here, but we look at Agriculture's contribution to the National economies of both our country's, the price the producer contributes is very small.

Sandhusker i store all my grain until the next year,because then grain prices finally come up a bit.I sell all my grain,on the open market.So any cost of storing grain until the next year,is made back up and then some by the rising price in grain.They could start a program,that everyone signs to reduce there seeding intentions by 10%,and then those people that can't store grain,could ship it to the elevator as it is combined.As for the open cows,we could take that 15% of cows and ship them for slaughter.There would be a flood of older cows until they were slaughtered,which would drive down cow prices temporarily.But the money we loose there would be offset by a 15% reduction in our winter feed cost,plus there would be a reduction of 15% calves come fall,which would make calf prices come up.Something has got to change,because this way of producing more,just so they can payless.Isn't making any of us,anymore money!

Latest posts