• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

USDA Ag Statistics Survey

Help Support Ranchers.net:

srd65

Reaction score
I am sure I am not the only one that got the Census of Agriculture Ag Statistics survey in the mail right before the end of the year.

My question is this. How many of you fill them out? And what happens if you dont? On the cover letter they are "requesting your assitance" by filling it out, but a couple paragraphs later it is "required by law".

We live on 80 acres and work an outside job. On the 80, we have a couple horses and a little bit of irrigated hay ground that I cut for our own use and sell small squares to some neihbors for horse hay. By the time I figure in fuel, water and time, there is very little profit in the hay operation, but it gives me something to do in the summer.

I just dont think it is any of thier business what I do on my own land. I am not signed up for any Ag programs, so what if I dont fill it out?

srd65 said:
I am sure I am not the only one that got the Census of Agriculture Ag Statistics survey in the mail right before the end of the year.

My question is this. How many of you fill them out? And what happens if you dont? On the cover letter they are "requesting your assitance" by filling it out, but a couple paragraphs later it is "required by law".

We live on 80 acres and work an outside job. On the 80, we have a couple horses and a little bit of irrigated hay ground that I cut for our own use and sell small squares to some neihbors for horse hay. By the time I figure in fuel, water and time, there is very little profit in the hay operation, but it gives me something to do in the summer.

I just dont think it is any of thier business what I do on my own land. I am not signed up for any Ag programs, so what if I dont fill it out?

Filled mine out online last week. You are required by law to fill it out.

Census has been going on for 100's of years.

I have a copy of my great-grandfathers census forms from 1860. He listed every bushel of peas harvested, every bale of cotton, every one of his livestock, and so forth for the General census.

From the current form:

"PENALTY FOR FAILURE TO REPORT"
"NOTICE: Responses to this inquiry by law (Title 7, U.S. Code). By the same law YOUR REPORT IS CONFIDENTIAL and it will only be used for statistical purposes. Your report CANNOT be used for purposes of taxation, investigation, or regulation. This law also provides that copies retained in your files are immune from the legal process."

Mine's lost in the mail also, and will stay lost!

In fact, it's been lost for years! :lol: :lol:

sic 'em reds said:
Yeah, I wouldn't have filled mine out, but the fine wouldn't be worth it.

Thats what I am wondering, what is the fine? With hold gov. payments? I am not signed up for any programs, so that doesn't matter to me.

I think mine might get lost somewhere too.

You know, come to think of it, I am not even sure I ever got one.

Howdy, all!!!!! Long time since I was here, or seems like it to me. :lol:

Al got one in the mail, haven't gotten it filled out yet, but he will, just like he did last year. My dad used to get them every year, until the FS stole his ranch from him, guess they didn't see a need in sending them to him anymore after that.

Have a great week, I'll be back as soon as I can!

Mine is already filled out and returned. I have been late in filling it out, and recieved a phone call to fill it out over the phone! I really have no problem with the Census of Agriculture. The govt. is not as interested in what you are doing on your land as they are in determining the agricultural health of the nation. Collecting ag stats dates back to a feller named George Washington. He wanted to know what crops were going to be available, and what crops would be needed to feed the nation. Policy makers use this data to develop farm policy. The better and more accurate the data, the more potential for effective farm policy to be developed. The problem is not the Census of Agriculture, it is the # of incompetent people that are in Washington trying to use the data.

Shortgrass said:
Mine is already filled out and returned. I have been late in filling it out, and recieved a phone call to fill it out over the phone! I really have no problem with the Census of Agriculture. The govt. is not as interested in what you are doing on your land as they are in determining the agricultural health of the nation. Collecting ag stats dates back to a feller named George Washington. He wanted to know what crops were going to be available, and what crops would be needed to feed the nation. Policy makers use this data to develop farm policy. The better and more accurate the data, the more potential for effective farm policy to be developed. The problem is not the Census of Agriculture, it is the # of incompetent people that are in Washington trying to use the data.

Are you familiar with "agenda 21",one of the presidential directives that dictates that in the event of an emergency (which they determine),they will confiscate all foodstuffs,farm machinery,etc that you have.How convenient for them to have the information from the census to know where to come and get it.

Latest posts