• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

USDA Couldn't Track Their Own Shadow!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Illegal Canadian cattle discovered in U.S.

Friday, January 12, 2007 12:18 PM CST

The South Dakota Stockgrowers Association (SDSGA) hopes USDA will take the necessary steps to remedy a loss of revenue for a South Dakota producer who unknowingly purchased Canadian feeder cattle, says SDSGA President Rick Fox.

An independent South Dakota feeder was under the impression, in November of 2006, that he had delivered U.S. cattle to a slaughter plant in Nebraska, but found out differently when the packing plant denied him payment on seven head of the fat cattle, says Fox.

"He bought calves in South Dakota, and fed them at home in his feedlot like he always does, so he was pretty surprised when he got a call from the packing plant telling them that seven head out of the load had been condemned because they were of Canadian origin," Fox said. "The offal on the entire load was also condemned, which meant another substantial loss in income. He did not realize that the cattle were from Canada - he had purchased them assuming that they were domestic cattle." Even though Canadian eartags were identified in the calves, the cattle have not been traced back to any particular farm or ranch in Canada.

"Bureaucrats in Washington tell us that the U.S. cattle industry needs an individual animal ID program to allow for fast traceback, but the Stockgrowers believe that tracking of imported cattle should be a higher priority," Fox said. "Unfortunately, it appears that USDA is not keeping track of the cattle being imported from Canada - under USDA's rules, these calves should never have been allowed to be sold in a South Dakota auction market. The Canadian officials apparently haven't been able to trace back the movements and origin of the calves, despite the official Canadian tags found in their ears." Fox said that USDA implemented a rule in 2005 to allow the importation of Canadian feeder cattle under 30 months of age, but only under very strict conditions.

"The cattle are supposed to enter the U.S. in sealed trucks and be transported directly to an identified feedlot. They are then to remain in the identified feedlot until they are hauled to a slaughter plant in a sealed truck," he said. "The fact that these calves showed up at a salebarn in South Dakota, were allowed to intermingle with U.S. cattle, and were not represented as Canadian cattle, indicates that USDA is not monitoring the very system it created.

"USDA's mistake has really hit close to home - it has cost a South Dakota producer immensely. The Stockgrowers will keep working with him in hopes of recovering his lost income and preventing this problem from happening again," he added.

Fox said that the Stockgrowers have sent a letter to USDA with three requests: 1) a full update regarding the progress of the investigation; 2) an explanation as to the non-compliance that allowed the mistake and; 3) indemnification for the feeder's financial loss.

The South Dakota feeder hopes to recover his lost income and will be cautious about purchasing calves in the future. He also hopes USDA's investigation will soon reveal whether this was an isolated case, or if herd mates or other calves entered the U.S. and were sold and co-mingled illegally.

Fox agrees. "It's tough to believe that there aren't more calves that crossed the border with these." According to Fox, USDA has now proposed a further relaxation of import regulations to allow cattle from Canada that are over 30 months of age.

"It is ludicrous that USDA would even consider relaxing the very import rules that they are already having difficulty policing," he said. "Before they even think about allowing older Canadian cattle to be imported, I hope they can figure out a monitoring system that works." Fox said that SDSGA remains in opposition of the original rule to allow "under 30 month" cattle to be imported from Canada, as well as the proposed rule to allow importation of cattle over 30 months.

"Canada has a BSE problem, plain and simple. USDA has placed U.S. producers and the entire industry at risk by allowing Canadian cattle to enter the country; they have further jeopardized our operations by not enforcing their import rules," he said. "The thought of relaxing the import regulations now to allow 'over 30 month' Canadian cattle to be imported is absolutely irresponsible."

And the SDSGA is an affilliate of???????????? R-Klan.

He couldn't even see the Canadian tags in them huh?

Sounds to me that this "Independent South Dakota Feeder" was trying to make a fast buck and got caught.

Bill said:

Sounds to me that this "Independent South Dakota Feeder" was trying to make a fast buck and got caught.

He probably overlooked the tiny eartags because they were not branded with the CAN like they were supposed to be. Do you think he removed a required brand?

ocm said:
Bill said:

He probably overlooked the tiny eartags because they were not branded with the CAN like they were supposed to be. Do you think he removed a required brand?

I don't know what happened but this story, like most, sounds like it has a lot more to it.

How do you know that the ear tags were tiny?

...oldtimer...if they were young animals the system would know where they came from...i t is really hard to imagine how some canadian feeders could go through a sales barn down there without someone noticing...i really don't understand how this story would help your cattle orgs reputation...in fact someone would really have to have the blinders on to believe it...

Bill said:
ocm said:
Bill said:

I don't know what happened but this story, like most, sounds like it has a lot more to it.

This is one for the books, here in Washington State we have brand laws, and you must register your brand with the state. We also, get alot of feeder cattle and dairy replacements in this state branded with a CAN on the rib. Now, we have a person involved with a auction barn in this state that registered the brand CAN,with the location on the same rib, talk about unethical. I believe it has been removed,because the state received alot of calls from cattlemen. That is what happens though, when you put people in charge,when they have no idea of what they are in-charge of.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

blackjack said:
in fact someone would really have to have the blinders on to believe it...

Can you spell USDA-- bought out, blinders, and just don't give a damn....

What happens to them after they leave here is out of our hands.

You don't need to check numbers or do any tracing to tell if they are Canadian cattle. The RFID tags all have a maple leaf on them and the letters CA.

Maybe an R-Calf plan to discredit the USDA??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

:lol: :wink: Somebody had to say it. LOL :D :D

The USDA does a fine job of discrediting themselves. USDA, "Effective date of March , 1999" :roll:

Bill said:
ocm said:
Bill said:

How big are Canadian ID tags? -- The bar code type.

blackjack said:
...oldtimer...if they were young animals the system would know where they came from...i t is really hard to imagine how some canadian feeders could go through a sales barn down there without someone noticing...i really don't understand how this story would help your cattle orgs reputation...in fact someone would really have to have the blinders on to believe it...

Apparently there were more than one transaction the cattle went through before the poor SD guy bought them. They came to the auction he bought them at from a direction other than north. Canada thus far has not given out tracking information it has on the cattle (the numbers were given to them by the USDA). They are claiming proprietary information. Maybe a legitimate claim, but makes you wonder.
Personally I think there is a scoundrel in this one south of the border. That doesn't mean somebody north didn't do something wrong, too. But it is almost definite that there was some deliberate law breaking going on here in the US and the USDA is dragging its feet. It has been over a month.

ocm said:
. Canada thus far has not given out tracking information it has on the cattle (the numbers were given to them by the USDA). They are claiming proprietary information. Maybe a legitimate claim, but makes you wonder.
It has been over a month.

If USDA is not set up to record/track them when imported and Canada refuses to give that type of information :roll: - it sure raises questions about the USDA's ability to track OTM cows/seedstock into the US as they have proposed....It even rises questions to whether the UTM system is workable as they have told the public and the courts.....

ocm said:
blackjack said:

Apparently there were more than one transaction the cattle went through before the poor SD guy bought them. They came to the auction he bought them at from a direction other than north. Canada thus far has not given out tracking information it has on the cattle (the numbers were given to them by the USDA). They are claiming proprietary information. Maybe a legitimate claim, but makes you wonder.
Personally I think there is a scoundrel in this one south of the border. That doesn't mean somebody north didn't do something wrong, too. But it is almost definite that there was some deliberate law breaking going on here in the US and the USDA is dragging its feet. It has been over a month.

ocm, I agree, there probably is one or more "scoundrels" south of the border.

Isn't the responsibility for tracking with the 'cattle tracking systems' in each of the states through which the cattle passed, at this point in time?

If so, it would seem quite a reach to blame USDA, as some are so eager to do.

MRJ

MRJ said:
ocm said:
blackjack said:

ocm, I agree, there probably is one or more "scoundrels" south of the border.

Isn't the responsibility for tracking with the 'cattle tracking systems' in each of the states through which the cattle passed, at this point in time?

If so, it would seem quite a reach to blame USDA, as some are so eager to do.

MRJ

There still remains the question of the import process and how well that was policed by USDA. There is still a question as to whether the cattle had USDA's import tags or not, but is looking like they did not. There's plenty of blame to go around, almost none of it in South Dakota.

But but but but but but but but Brands are good enough for the Good Old US of A. Where was the brand inspector? Huh OT? those cattle should have been picked up when they came off the truck.

Big Muddy rancher said:
But but but but but but but but Brands are good enough for the Good Old US of A. Where was the brand inspector? Huh OT? those cattle should have been picked up when they came off the truck.

Not if they are in a no brand state and have no brands :shock: Don't know what part of SD they went thru the ring in- but east Dakota is a no brand area...

...here in alberta every animal that goes through the sale barn would have been checked for brands and that it had a cfia tag...if there is not a tag the animal is tagged at the owner's expense...i don't how your system exactly down there works but the brand inspector will not release the cheque up here if the brand is not registered to the people selling the animal...if the seller is selling cattle without their brand they would have to provide a proof bill of sale...there is no govt involvement in these transactions...so if your system is somewhat the same... again oldtimer how is it that you could lay blame on usda when someone seems to be corrupt inside your own industry..

Blackjack has a very valid point; those calves were raised and sold in good faith by a Canadian producer. Everything since was a fraudulant practice carried out south of the line either by a livestock dealer or a sale barn operator. Sounds like your brand inspection system could use an overhaul! As for the RFID tags the herd of origin will definately be known but that information is confidential and proprietory-it is only used in the event of a reportable disease and is only released to the appropriate health authorities.
Something about this story stinks; there isn't a Canadian Livestock Broker or vet that would risk losing their accreditation by not properly branding or documenting those cattle; probably more of a "rural myth" than reality if checked out properly!

Not to rain on the parade but these cattle may have came acrost the border and went where they were suposed to have gone. The most logical explanation I can see is that they were imported in to an aproved lot. Those cattle can go both ways thru a gate :shock: The thing that jumped out at me was there were only 7 head involved. If I was going to run the risk of bringing cattle acrost in violation I wouldn't risk my hide on the profit on 7 head :roll: I can see 7 head being wrote off as death loss on a feedlot and going out the back gate. Since the packer had no prob. catching the tags it stands to reason it might very well be a one time deal to make a point.

blackjack said:
...here in alberta every animal that goes through the sale barn would have been checked for brands and that it had a cfia tag...if there is not a tag the animal is tagged at the owner's expense...i don't how your system exactly down there works but the brand inspector will not release the cheque up here if the brand is not registered to the people selling the animal...if the seller is selling cattle without their brand they would have to provide a proof bill of sale...there is no govt involvement in these transactions...so if your system is somewhat the same... again oldtimer how is it that you could lay blame on usda when someone seems to be corrupt inside your own industry..

Blackjack-- the point is that your ID system is worthless to us if Canada isn't going to cooperate with it...The ID tag and the brand were the big things the USDA made such a big deal about always being able to trace these UTM cattle....Now we have contraband, illegal, possibly diseased (definitely higher risk) cattle that threaten the integrity of our cattle herd and Canada says "NO" to information :???:

Last night I sent copies of this article to my Congressmen and asked them to follow up on it--- and the main thing I pointed out to them was the worthlessness of any ID agreement with Canada, and what a farce it will be to keep track of OTM cows/breeding stock if they go ahead with Rule 2....

Since it appears that USDA's sealed truck, sealed feedlot, feedlot inspection system isn't working- and If we don't have a system in place to track them when and after they come across-- which many states don't have--then they should not be coming across-PERIOD....

A Canadian origin cow that the USDA took 10 days time to ID already cost the US cattle industry billions $- if Canada won't co-operate in the tracking of these health rule violating animals- then what assurance do we have that Canada will cooperate with us if we find another old Canadian cow at a US slaughter house.... :???: :mad:

Latest posts