• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

USDA Coverup?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Well TAM...

I have had one cow die here in the last 2 years and she was 3 years old and fell through the ice.

Had one this fall born in 99 I hit her with a 4-wheeler and broke her leg so I put her in the deep freeze. You have a problem with our USDA and you put the blame on the producer.

Do you get paid for testing the cows who pays for the test?

You think you know everything about us I bet there are many north of the 49th that have a shovel in hand as you claim we ALL do when I have a cow die the rendering company picks her up at a cost to me of $20.00

Dont group us all as dishonest as that goes both ways...

Shelly said:
Jason, we are NOT hobby farmers, by any means! Hell, I remember calving out close to 200 cows many years back. But we do grain farm, and between that and cattle, 53 cows is lots for us now. We aren't as young as we used to be. And the reason we don't make money is NOT from poor management but from the situation we're all in now. Sure, if we were getting the $800- $900 a calf like we did two and three years ago, how could you not make money? We just don't like the thought of putting all our eggs in one basket. So we grain farm and we sell feed. Income from one will always cover the losses from the other two.

And I have to weld 40-50 hrs a week and my wife works as an RN in town to support the family because the cows wont support us and pay for expansion.But I never got $800-$900 a calf 2 or 3 years ago more like $500 to $600 and even this year they averaged$680

$800-$900 a calf, is that a typo error. We can not make a living on 200 head of cows here, I say a slim living if you have 450.

We only averaged $500 this year. How old are your calves when you all sell them? We start calving the second week of January and wean in the first week of October so our calves are heavy! Two, three years ago, it was not uncommon to get $1.00 or more a pound for calves over 800 pounds. I sold one of my steers three years ago that was over 900 pounds and got over $1000 for him. Ah, the good ole days! But now, those heavy calves are docked because they'll finish too fast in the feedlot, so the best we got was around $575. Cattle are basically not a money making operation around here anymore. We just raise cattle for the fun of it now!

Does your market follow ours penny to penny pre-bse? Sounds like a lot of money we never go down here.

What do you mean? Maybe we were getting more then, because dollar-wise, our Canadian dollar was only worth around $.65 to $.70 U.S. Doesn't matter anyways, we'll never see those calf prices again. These days, if you can get $600- $700 a calf, you're doing good.

Denny wrote: I have had one cow die here in the last 2 years and she was 3 years old and fell through the ice.

Had one this fall born in 99 I hit her with a 4-wheeler and broke her leg so I put her in the deep freeze. You have a problem with our USDA and you put the blame on the producer.

Do you get paid for testing the cows who pays for the test?

You think you know everything about us I bet there are many north of the 49th that have a shovel in hand as you claim we ALL do when I have a cow die the rendering company picks her up at a cost to me of $20.00

Dont group us all as dishonest as that goes both ways...

Mike said:
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18124400.300

I cannot help but think that the USDA has perpretrated a grand scheme to brush BSE under the table and out of the limelight by controlling the information and the media. Tam and other Canadian's have pointed out on several occasions that testing in the USA has been less than adequate at best with an obvious lack of testing 4-D's and CNS cases. But once beef gets to the table it can't be tested. It's gone.

The link above shows that the USDA approved the Bio-Rad test KNOWING full well the false positives that occur using them - thus creating a numbing effect that will come in handy when we have a positive case in the future. There is no such thing as an "inconclusive" using the Prionics tests along with IHC. So why the Bio-Rad?

Along with the FDA's report on the feed ban inconsistencies, the Texas cow, the Washington cow fiasco, and the last "inconclusive" which by all measures could have been wrong in only 1 out of 2000 chances I fear we have been set up for a big fall. I pray I am wrong.

Did they keep Creekstone from testing so they could control all aspects of BSE testing and keep the results secret? Did they fall from 30 months to 20 on Japan beef because they were right? Why weren't we testing more 4-D's?

It's obvious Japan don't trust us and I can see why.

Now Denny I wanted you to reread the post that started this thread it was not me it was Mike, a US rancher, that titled this USDA COVERUP Yes I have been, like Mike said, pointing it out that the USDA's testing is not doing what it is suppose to as the USDA is testing the wrong catagory of cattle. It is his seeing that what I and other Canadians have been saying is true that caused this post. I just posted to him as he said he would test so many the test companies would have a hard time supplying enough kits. The OIE say you can do a one year sample testing of a certain catagory cattle and know the true prevalance of BSE in your herd but that catagory is not slaughter plant cattle, it's the 4D's. And by Mikes post it looks as if he is wondering why the USDA isn't testing them like they should and I think he sees this as maybe why Japan doesn't trust the US. And I agree with him.

Canadian ranchers do not get paid to test their 4D's. We in Sask. get $75 dollar to cover the cost of disposing of the animal properly. The CFIA pays for the actual test just like the USDA. If healthy Canadian cull cattle prices were as high as the US cull cattle prices we most likely won't be getting the $75 as we would be expected to pay the cost out of our own pocket. When the prices for cull cattle tanked because of lack of slaughter capacity the government decided to help with a cost of disposal of the test sample animals so the rancher didn't take another hit. And I dare say if the US ranchers were getting the same price for their cull cattle, the US government would be handing out some type of disaster payment to you.

And Yes there are some Canadian ranchers that aren't turning over their dead but with the ones that are the CFIA haven't had to turn to our slaughter plants to collect test sample as we turned over 23550 when our quota was 8000. By what I hear we do have a good start on the 30000 for this year which doesn't include any of the 15550 head over tested from last year.

You say "Dont group us all as dishonest as that goes both ways..." but just the post before you said

"If you show no respect why should we have any for you one thing for sure is YOU Canadians ALL have the ANTI USA attitude.If we are so damn bad dont ship anything here sure we need these products but not as bad as you need to sell them.An old saying "Dont bite the hand that feeds you"

Who was lumping who Denny? I said US rancher should make the USDA test the recommended cattle so you know and can get pass the doubts surrounding your industry, and you said ALL Canadians have a Anti USA attitude.

Again it was Mike's realizing that some of us Canadians have been telling the truth about the USDA testing, that caused this thread.

You are right I don't respect people that support R-CALF and the lies they spread and those people that believe that rest of the world should just take your word for it that you don't have BSE in the US. Even though we know the facts surrounding the trade in cattle and feed and the fact the the USDA is not testing the recommended catagory of cattle to prove one way or the other. But I'm only one Canadian that was raised in the US and I don't consider myself Anti USA just because I don't like some of the things I see my native country doing. But if pointing them out and saying I think the US should clean up their act before it is to late makes me one in your eyes Then I guess there is probably alot of other that are Anti USA and some could be still living in the US.

Shelly said:
We only averaged $500 this year. How old are your calves when you all sell them? We start calving the second week of January and wean in the first week of October so our calves are heavy! Two, three years ago, it was not uncommon to get $1.00 or more a pound for calves over 800 pounds. I sold one of my steers three years ago that was over 900 pounds and got over $1000 for him. Ah, the good ole days! But now, those heavy calves are docked because they'll finish too fast in the feedlot, so the best we got was around $575. Cattle are basically not a money making operation around here anymore. We just raise cattle for the fun of it now!

"But now, those heavy calves are docked because they'll finish too fast in the feedlot, so the best we got was around $575"

Heavy calves are not docked. The price you receiced was likely due to the time you sold. A neighbor sold 100 10 month old steers avg. weight 905 lbs. and recieved .9975/lb. CDN. straight thru on Feb. 8/05. Those big calves sold well.

rancher said:
$800-$900 a calf, is that a typo error. We can not make a living on 200 head of cows here, I say a slim living if you have 450.

Hey rancher, take that $800 times .65 (Canadian dollar exchange rate).

Slim living on 450? Are you sending too much to R-CALF?

"SIZE AND DISTRIBUTION OF BEEF COW HERDS

The majority of beef cow herds are small. Average herd size in the U. S. is 41.6 cows. (Connecticut has the lowest at 7.5 cows/herd, Nevada the largest at 175, Texas averages 41.2) Over 78% of herds have less than 50 cows, and less than 1% have over 500 cows. However, herds of less than 50 head have only about 29% of the total cows, and herds over 500 head have almost 15 % of the cows. These distributions have not changed much over the years and, barring unforeseen drastic economic changes, probably will not. (USDA - National Agricultural Statistics Service - Report on Livestock Operations, April, 2004) "

The majority of the cattle producers are small operations. However only 1% of the total producers make up 15% of the total cows. Interesting stats. I was surprised that these percentages have been stagnant over the years.

Shelly i only calve out 60 cows,and to be called a hobby ranch,that's not a whole lot better then being called a squatter!!

R-Calf said:
Tam can downer cows be butchered in Canada? They can't be in the US. You are always quick to point out that the Wash cow entered the food chain, however none of the meat was eaten and it was all quickly recalled. For the record BSE is the biggest bunch of BS that has ever hit this industry. CJD, what a joke, out of all the things in the world that can happen to you we have lost billons over this overhyped disease that no one knows anything about. And why should money be spent on a disease that only touches a very very very minute sliver of the population when cancer has touched the lives directly or indirectly of every person on this board. Does CJD exist? Yeah, is it caused from eating beef? Maybe, maybe not? If you die of CJD well, s*** happens, you have about the same chance of getting hit by a meteor. The bottom line in the border dispute is about the Canucks dumping their cattle onto a market with no export partners. For this you need to be held accountable, whatever R-Calf has to do to hit you where it hurts then more power to them.

First of all no downers are not slaughtered in Canada That is why all three of the cattle that tested positive in Canada were not in slaughter plants.

Second the Washington cow was in the food chain and maybe the meat was recalled but if you look in the FDA web page you will see that food recalled by the FDA is less than 50% successful. So to say that none of the meat was eaten is doubtful.

And I agree with you about you are more likely to be hit by a meteor and the hype around BSE is uncalled for but I'm not the one that is paying support to a group that is using food safety issues to keep a border closed you are. And If your consumers buy into the lies and support your bid to keep the border closed then they will be buying into it when the US finds BSE and you will have not export market or a domestic market to buy your product. So your anything to justify the end result is going to come back and bite you in the ass. And since Canada is so far ahead of the US, in National ID system and creditible surveillance system to mention just two things. all I can say to you is good luck trying to dig yourselve out of the whole your dumb group has dug you into.

Nebrusker: "For the record BSE is the biggest bunch of BS that has ever hit this industry. CJD, what a joke, out of all the things in the world that can happen to you we have lost billons over this overhyped disease that no one knows anything about. And why should money be spent on a disease that only touches a very very very minute sliver of the population when cancer has touched the lives directly or indirectly of every person on this board."

Why don't you tell that to your fear mongering organization that is using BSE as a scare tactic to keep the Canadian border closed?

First you agreed with me that the end (lying about the safety of Canadian beef) justifies the means (keeping the Canadian border closed to live cattle) now you are going on record disagreeing with R-CALF's BSE fear mongering????

Make up your mind!

~SH~

Nebrusker:"You are always quick to point out that the Wash cow entered the food chain, however none of the meat was eaten and it was all quickly recalled."

WRONG!

Latest posts