• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

USDA tags

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowman52

Reaction score
I had a stray bull show up 3 weeks ago, typical for our country, poor fences, weekend ranchers, working in town to hang on.
Any way, bull had 2 USDA tags, one maybe less than a year old from the wear and one probably 3 weeks old from the hole in the ear not healed. Well, I finally get him in the chute, read the numbers, and talk to the cattle raisers rep and give him the numbers. Today I finally get a call back and lo and behold, there ain't a record of the tags, imagine that, 2 tags and no record.
If this had been a case of say hoof and mouth or worse, just where in the Sam hill would our all knowing USDA have looked? As granny would have said, can't find their azz with both hands and a flashlight.

All our animals are to have a CCIA RFID tag in ear before leaving place of birth, but they don't want the brand inspectors know who they belong to as this is for a disease outbreak. We are to have our Premised ID'ed as well. Hope they have a record it costs us enough but it did help us open borders because we had a trace back.

Big Muddy rancher said:
We are to have our Premised ID'ed as well.

They push us to have Premise ID here, seems like most folks have it. It's not mandatory. I will be the last guy to get it. I figure if one of my cows comes up mad there will be CCIA, CFIA, Health Canada, the Atomic Energy Commission, the Canadian Space Agency, CSIS, and every other government agency knocking on my door and lighting up my phone lines so quick it would make our heads spin. They have my legal land description, my 911 address, my phone numbers, my farm folio number; why in the he77 would I want to jump through the premise ID hoop? Sounds like a bunch of bureaucratic bs to me. But it could be that I'm just getting to be an old fuddy dud.

Latest posts