• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Used cars are worth nothing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cowpuncher

Reaction score
In spite of record prices for new cars, a well used car is almost worthless.

An older car with a bunch of miles is not welcome as a trade-in anymore.

Some of the reasons are:

1. The average shade tree mechanic can't work on them.

2. Almost any repair at a deal is prohibitive

3. Kids seem to have more money than adults and they don't want to drive a clunker, either.

The only thing that can really be salvaged from a high mileage car is body parts. And body work is also extremely expensive due to clear-coat finishes. etc.

Going to be a lot of cars just sitting around rusting away in the future. They don't even rust as well as the older ones!!

I keep teasing my hubby we should turn our car, which has been very expensive to fix lately, into a planter/greenhouse like we saw up in Canada once. Somebody filled the junker's bottom with soil, planted it and luxurious vines and flowers grew to the ceiling. Quite a pretty sight in the middle of a city.

Sorry, THMW

When I said high miles cars are not worth much, that applies only if you are selling. Car dealers will charge you a lot for a little.

If you are serious about buying a car worth the money, go to GSA Auto Auctions.

The GSA sell used government cars to the public. They are well maintained and some have hardly any miles on them. They all have to pass safety and emissions tests, as well.

We have bought several and had good luck with all of them. (Just make sure the A/C works!! - that's the only problem we had.)

I've learned that a private seller is preferable to a dealer in most cases. (that's a better way to sell, too, than a trade-in)

And really, new cars aren't much harder to work on the older ones, so long as it's not something within the computer that's going wrong. but otherwise, struts replace the same way, oil changes are identical, A/C recharges the same way, etc, etc.

Not only have my husband and I never purchased a new car, neither have my parents.

:? Doesn't someone have to recycle cars?? The ranch and even myself usually buy lease returns with around 20,000 miles on them. There is usually 10,000 difference between them and a brand new one. I don't mind driving something someone else has :) .

We generally try to buy those as well. We will buy a pickup new, but not the second vehicle. The last purchase on a vehicle for myself was a 2003 Tahoe, bought in December of 2003. It had 8,000 miles on it was an executive vehicle with more stuff than I need, but the price was right. I love it. I could drive it til I die, I like it that much. (I hope it holds up that long, not planning on dying anytime soon.)

This is my second Tahoe. The first one was so-so; this one is great!!!

I bought my firrst new truck in 2003-5 days before BSE lol-we just travel too many miles packing kids to sports I felt we needed a more reliable truck. We've totally miled out two dodge minivans already-300,000 miles on both.

Latest posts