• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Used hydraulic chute

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ho55

Reaction score
Looking at a used hydraulic chute. They say its a cattleac made in Canada. Anyone ever run one? How are they?

Thank you I have never heard of them and can't find anything on the web. So I wasn't sure probably will buy it.

They are good chutes. Cattle want to choke in them a little. Pretty handy to work out of though.

I thought they were in Oklahoma as well but the guy says it was made in Canada that's one reason I brought this up. I just wasn't sure but for 2500.00 I probably can't go to much wrong. If I was smart enough to run this ipad I could get a picture of it. I'll try.

I don't know how.

Haven't heard of the brand. But one of my sayings is the worlds worst hydraulic is usually better than the worlds best manual chute ;-}

If someone is mechanically adept and a good welder, I generally would say a used chute is fine. A lot of the older ones are real loud. You may want to take the pump and motor away from the chute and run some line to it

I found out a little about the chute. It is made in Red Deer Alberta. Reg Cox makes feed mixers as well. It's in better shape than I thought it would be no noisier than my Bowman. I like the fact the head catch is spring loaded.

Ho55 said:
I found out a little about the chute. It is made in Red Deer Alberta. Reg Cox makes feed mixers as well. It's in better shape than I thought it would be no noisier than my Bowman. I like the fact the head catch is spring loaded.

I like that as well. But, if it is real critical, check everything that happens BEFORE the animal gets to the chute ;-}

Before getting to the chute you mean like my alleyway and tub?

Ho55 said:
Before getting to the chute you mean like my alleyway and tub?
That's part of it.

Even before that. My full time job is to design low stress cattle handling systems. One of my favorite stories is a family whose dad was like a Grandpa to me. I spent a lot of hours as they had a lot of questions and simply weren't certain about what I was telling them to buy. But, the cattle they had they described as wild and they had lost some to injury working them. I also told them I'd come work cattle. After about the first ten head walking out of the chute like dairy cows leaving a milking parlor, they were simply amazed and ecstatic.

My job has moved from design to training and demos. I really show people things most already know but haven't thought about or put together. The biggest thing is you are asking these cattle to remove themselves from a herd environment to single file where they don't feel safe. Getting them to flow is everything. getting them to move in relation to you. Getting them to realize when they do, it is to a spot of more comfort rather than less.

A lot of that is what the horse trainers have said for years. The right answer easy and the wrong answer not.

So, I like the springs for the occasional cow. But if they all need them because they are crashing the gate, then we have other issues IMO.

BTW, if you get the chute, Merry early Christmas! Even if it needs work, $2,500 is a heck of a price to start and gives you some room to fix anything IMO

I see what you mean. I came across a older powder river tub and alley fully sheeted. I believe it was the system before the system 2000. Came with catwalks and the works. I believe it will be a good set up. I'm forming up for cement tomorrow. I'm definitely putting the chute and alley on cement but cant decide wether to put the tub on cement.Whats your thoughts on that?

Ho55 said:
I see what you mean. I came across a older powder river tub and alley fully sheeted. I believe it was the system before the system 2000. Came with catwalks and the works. I believe it will be a good set up. I'm forming up for cement tomorrow. I'm definitely putting the chute and alley on cement but cant decide wether to put the tub on cement.Whats your thoughts on that?

Concrete will keep it from settling.

Here's a trick Loren Smart taught me regarding sheeted tubs and Alleys. Loren is a pretty big Select sires guy out of Wallsburg Utah.

Out of the tub, put in about 4-5 foot of open rail to start the alley. I usually design in a cutout gate that's 1/2 sheeted so you can go to a loading ramp or calf table for instance.

If the tub is sheeted and so is the alley, cattle often can't see the contrast to find the alley or escape. Having the open rail lets them see daylight and they will go to check it our. That one trick will really improve the flow of cattle from the tub to the Alley.

BTW, that tub and alley you bought... I've seen a lot of them that have lasted a long while. Good buy!

I bet it hasn't had 50 head run through it. It does have a cut out gate right in the tub and another on one of the alley panels (heavy son of a gun). I see what you mean by letting them see a bit more. I sure like putting in stuff like this. There is nothing better than working cattle in good working systems. Heck I even enjoy hangin a new heavy duty green gate.

Ho55 said:
I bet it hasn't had 50 head run through it. It does have a cut out gate right in the tub and another on one of the alley panels (heavy son of a gun). I see what you mean by letting them see a bit more. I sure like putting in stuff like this. There is nothing better than working cattle in good working systems. Heck I even enjoy hangin a new heavy duty green gate.

I keep looking for the "like" button on here ;-}

Thanks for your input PPRM. I appreciate it. If you don't mind I might call on you again. I'll get this up and running and hopefully show some pictures to see what you think. Thanks again.

PPRM said:
Ho55 said:

Here's a trick Loren Smart taught me regarding sheeted tubs and Alleys. Loren is a pretty big Select sires guy out of Wallsburg Utah.

Out of the tub, put in about 4-5 foot of open rail to start the alley. I usually design in a cutout gate that's 1/2 sheeted so you can go to a loading ramp or calf table for instance.

If the tub is sheeted and so is the alley, cattle often can't see the contrast to find the alley or escape. Having the open rail lets them see daylight and they will go to check it our. That one trick will really improve the flow of cattle from the tub to the Alley.

BTW, that tub and alley you bought... I've seen a lot of them that have lasted a long while. Good buy!

Small world. Loren is my select rep. Or he was but has kinda retired and his son has taken over.

leanin' H said:
PPRM said:
Ho55 said:

Small world. Loren is my select rep. Or he was but has kinda retired and his son has taken over.

I like Loren a lot. We use his place to do our hands on portion of our dealer training. In turn, he gets to use our equipment and has sold a good amount of it.

Wallsburg is pretty country. Wallsburgers are a nice topping to the trip there ;-}

Latest posts