• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Vaccination Programs, What's Been Working For You?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

North Ridge Ranching

Reaction score
Seeing as spring brandings and vaccinating are going on in most places, what's your program, what has worked, what hasen't?

When do you vaccinate for what? Cows, calves, replacements, when and what for?

Just curious, not really looking to change because we have had good luck, or good program last couple years. Just wondering if I am missing something.

Cows and Heifers - vaccinated with BI Express 5 and 8 way 2-3 weeks pre-breeding
Calves - BI Express 5/Somnugen and Ultrabac 7 when cows are done
Boostered 2 weeks pre-weaning with same

Ivermectin as needed post-weaning

Used 75cc of antibiotic on 180 breeding females and 150 backgrounding calves last year (1 cow that did not clean), so we are pretty happy with the program

Only change is we are considering moving the cows up to the 10 product (5 way lepto, etc. added)

Cows - Bova Shield Gold and Tasvax 8 about a month before breeding with a shot of vitamins. Get ivomec in the fall and Scour-gaurd and vitamins before calving.

Replacements - They get a booster of Tasvax 8 in the fall with some ivermectin and get a shot and a booster of Bova Shield before breeding.

Calves - Tasvax 8 in the spring the same time as the cows and a splash of ivermectin.

Bulls - They get a foot rot booster and a Bova Shield gold each spring. Ivermectin in the fall.

Cows and replacements get Express 3 (I think) and Tasvax at branding
Calves get Tasvax and Ivermectin injectable at branding
Replacements get Tasvax and Express at weaning
Bulls get Express at BSE time
Everything that is around gets Ivermectin pour on in the fall.

Thinking about changing the vacc program on the calves this spring but haven't really decided what to do for them. We haven't had any problems with them either during the summer or after weaning, so I have to convince DH that it would be a good idea......

I am just wondering, from those of you in the know, how important it is to vaccinate my calves for IBR, PI3, and BVD in the spring if the cow was vaccinated pre-breeding. We do the replacements in the fall that we keep but in the spring they only get an 8-way ( Tasvax ).

Cows- going to summer grass- Virashield 6, Trichguard V5L, Pinkeye Piliguard+1, Cydectin

Cows- at preg check in fall- Cydectin

Calves- at birth- Alpha 7, along with tag and band bulls

Calves- at branding- Express 5/PHM, Pinkeye Piliguard+1, Enforce 3, Ralgo, fly tag and Cydectin

Calves- 14-28 days prior to wean- Virashield 6, PulmoGuard PHM, 7way/Somnus, Pinkeye vaccine that vet had custom made for certain strain the has been a problem in our area, Durasect fly pour on.

Calves- at weaning- Express 5/PHM, Enforce 3, Cydectin, Ralgro steers

Replacements- sometime in January- pelvic measure, bangs, Virashield 6, Trichguard V5L, 7way/Somnus, Retag.

Replacements- month or so prior to breeding, Virashield 6, Trichguard V5L, Pinkeye Piliguard+1, Cydectin

North Ridge Ranching said:
I am just wondering, from those of you in the know, how important it is to vaccinate my calves for IBR, PI3, and BVD in the spring if the cow was vaccinated pre-breeding. We do the replacements in the fall that we keep but in the spring they only get an 8-way ( Tasvax ).

Excellent question. In working with our company vet, he told us
that the calves were too young at branding to get much good out
of the IBR, BVD, PI3 vaccines. So we quit giving them and never
noticed one bit of difference. We haven't given those shots until fall
for years. We do give Vison 7 for blackleg and that's it at branding.

Faster horses said:

We have been doing the same thing for years with no problems, also after talking to our Vet. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one.

Faster horses said:

We have been doing the same thing for years with no problems, also after talking to our Vet. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one.

Our program is very similar to yours North Ridge,

Cows, scour vaccine prior to calving and Bovashield Gold FP5 prior to breeding. Ivomec after all cattle are in off range and culls are gone.
Vision 8 every 3 years. Prefer to feed minerals and vitamins.

Calves at branding, Vision 8S and Ralgro to steers. They are too young for a live vaccine and the 2 years we vaccinated for Pastuerella were the worst we experienced for the problem.

Weaning, all calves held over get a booster of Vision 8S and their first of Bovashield plus Ivomec.

Bulls are vaccinated with Bovashield prior to breeding. We didn't see enough benefit to the footrot vaccine to stay with it after 3 years.

Latest posts