• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Vaccines?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Texan

Reaction score
Been awhile since we've had a vaccine discussion. What are you guys using now? I'm still kinda partial to Pfizer stuff. Or Zoetis, more accurately. Never understood that name change, to be honest. Great name recognition with Pfizer, but change it to something that most people had never heard of and that a lot of people can't pronounce? Sounds kinda stupid to me, but I digress. LOL

I use Bovishield Gold VL5 in the cowherd and usually try to do it in January or February to start calving in early spring. Calves get a Bovishield at branding. I started using Vision for a blackleg shot instead of the Pfizer so I could add a somnus. So, Vision with Somnus also at branding. Then booster those and normally add a mannheimia/pasturella on weaning day.

For calves I buy, I use the same products, just have to vary the delivery times based on time of year, what each group looks like when they get here, whether I use a really good mass treatment, etc. Sometimes I even use an intranasal on those, but Bovishield is still my go-to for virals in every case.

What about you? What are you guys using now?

We use a modified live breed back 9 on cows at branding time before breeding.
At branding the calves get Pyrimid 5 Prepsonce and 7 way plus Somnus, Get the same booster at weaning.

How do you like that Pyramid, BMr? I looked at using that at one time, but always hate to switch when I have something that works.

Seems to work OK. Just been using it quite a while and haven't changed.
We seem to get some vaccine bumps from our Blackleg HS. Was wanting to try Vison product but vaccine has been hit and miss for availability.

Yeah, the Vision with Somnus got really hard to find last year. I had to do a plain Vision and add a Somubac. Seems to be easier to find this year, although I've noticed some other products that seem to be on long backorder.

I've noticed fewer injection site knots using Vision 8 Somnus than with any other blackleg I've ever used. A few of my yearlings will have had three rounds by the last time I see them in the chute, and I'm just not seeing as much in the way of lasting reactions.

We use scour boss 9 eight weeks before calving.
Cows get bovishield gold vl5
At branding calves get bovishield gold one shot, plus 7 way.
They changed the regs in Alberta. We had to pay the vet to be trained to use drugs which is garbage. Then I have to pay the vet another $40 a year to stay current.
Also because you can only buy drugs from a vet now the vets charge way more for them. It adds up. Death by a thousand cuts. They are always coming out with something new to make it harder for us.

Latest posts