• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Vaccines

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Summer pnemonia is why I started this thread. We've been using Bovishield Gold, vision 8 w/somnus, and Once PMH IN. If we precondition in mid July we don't seem to get much pneumonia, but if wait any longer we get quite abit.

C&D is included in Vision 7. We used to have a problem with it so I'm very familiar with it. That was before we got on a year round mineral program. We used to have too much navel ill pneumonia, scours, you name it. We actually moved across the state because our calves got sick for 8 years. They got the same symptoms at the new ranch and we were ready to quit. Then we found out it was caused from copper deficiency. (copper deficiency lowers the immune system). This was in 1994. We took care of that and we didn't have any more health problems. We sold our calves on Superior Video one year. A storm hit the feedlot where they were in Kansas and things were a mess there. The manager called to talk to us because our calves were the only ones they didn't to doctor. That manager came to Montana to talk to us and he bought all the heifer calves we had for sale.
we moved 500 miles , vet on both sides the state like our program , Nasalgen and oil based c&d(or 7 way) at tagging. then a 7 way and a 5way MLV (raspatory)and BVD at branding and again at preconditioning>The feeder that buys my calves likes those two shot one with sommas at preconditioning. Say my calves do great when he gets them..B ack in Star Valley we used a custom mix mineral that was made up with my herd and 2 others we tested forage , hay and blood, it was high copper and maxed out on Selenium. here it a higher C then P regular copper and low Selenium.

Last edited:
we moved 500 miles , vet on both sides the state like our program , Nasalgen and oil based c&d(or 7 way) at tagging. then a 7 way and a 5way MLV (raspatory)and BVD at branding and again at preconditioning>The feeder that buys my calves likes those two shot one with sommas at preconditioning. Say my calves do great when he gets them..
which nasalgen do you use at tagging?

Summer pnemonia is why I started this thread. We've been using Bovishield Gold, vision 8 w/somnus, and Once PMH IN. If we precondition in mid July we don't seem to get much pneumonia, but if wait any longer we get quite abit.
Are you able to get mineral to your cattle during the summer, Nicky? I know your cattle run in some rough country.

Nasalgen at birth took the place this year of Inforce and PMH on a trial year. We are seeing a few snotty noses in older calves already……. Didn't have that with using two.

Branding Cows get Bovi Gold VL5 FP5, calves get Vision 8S , Bovi Gold One Shot and a Draxxin. Draxxin keeps them alive until vaccines kick in.

We don't precondition, our market doesn't demand it. We do vaccinate what we keep.

Latest posts