• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Value Added Programs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
I have been working on the 2011 Fall Gill Red Angus Newsletter, and hopefully today it will be sent over to the printer. In this issue, we focused on Value Added Programs. Quite a few of our customers are already doing some sort of Value Added program, like a Source and Age tag, or selling a natural calf, or both. But their is always room for improvement. Every extra bid is an another buck in your pocket!

What do some of you do to make your calves bring more on sale day?

There are several options of different protocols that if you meet them will bring a premium but they all take a relationship beforehand. So I would say, build relationships with those that would be natural to buy what you are good at producing or conversely produce what these folks want. My main bull suppliers works at it from the other end finding homes for calves raised with his genetics to suit different chains.

One of the biggest things is to get tri-axle load (60,000#) lots of the same type and genetics of cattle.
A good herd health program (the same program from everyone is best), and a 45 day post-weaning prep period makes a lot of $.
Source/age/genetic/natural and health verified with a proper pre-conditioning in load lots. (also check for stags/horns).
I think if it was done right, you could even develop a cull cow marketing pool.

Does anybody sell through a networking program? This new program has been discussed on Linkdin for a while; www.homegrowncow.com
They might be worth considering, we have an onsite abattoir here and direct market, but that takes a large capital input, on my own ranch, the breeding stock was sole through privare treaty, I managed to export half of my pedigree stock at a premium, the steers and culls were sold through a tender agreement to the government Cold Storage Commision export abattoir. Networking with other ranchers to make up numbers that give you something of a bargaining edge, or even work toward having co-operative shares in a local abattoir, future marketing needs some out of the box thinking and being more open to working with other producers.

Latest posts