• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

vemeer belts

Help Support Ranchers.net:

taft

Reaction score
Does anyone use alligator staple lacing on vermmer belts. Do they seem to work better than the clipper lacing

I went to the alligator lacings about four years ago. In the way we use them, they seem to last 5x as long as the clippers. The worst thing about the clippers is they start pulling out along the edges of the belts, then they just pull out like a zipper and you have to cut 4-6 inches out of the belt to get a straight end. Have had a couple of failures on the alligators, but usually the belt fails before the lacing.

Now I am confused. What is the differance in the lacings. I have used one that clamps to the belt ends with this thing I put in the vice. It works fine.

Are the alligator lacing put in like the clippers? I am thinking about switching over the next belt changing?

I have repaired more belts than I care to count over the last 30 years. Here is my advice for what it is worth. The clipper lacing is made to withstand the flexing, twisting and bending which a baler belt tends to do. I would recommend a 3-41/2-6 lace for an older baler and a 41/2HT for a newer one. The aligator lace is made for conveyor belts. It will work on baler belts but it was not designed for them. With both types of lacing it is important to KEEP THE LACING IN FROM THE EDGE OF THE BELT. A 4 inch belt should have no more than 31/2 inches of lacing. It is very important to monitor the condition of the cable. Most lacings fail because of cable failure. Under normal conditions a set of lacings should last for 7500 bales. It also is very important to have all the belts the same length. Hope this helps.

Latest posts