• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Vermeer 605J

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Aaron

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the 605J? I am looking into buying one at a price too good to pass up.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=209629684

Coming from a 1972 605C, I'm not too familiar with fancy electronic balers like this.

Did all of the newer balers have a half-twist in the belts like this one has? Reasoning for this?

What kind of hp is needed for these newer balers? I pull the 605C with a 57hp Belarus.

Were there any sensors or rollers, pickup, etc. that were a problem on them?

What kind of plug from the tractor is needed for the electronics (2-prong, etc.) ? I don't have any accessory power sources hooked up on my tractors, but it wouldn't be hard to hook up if I know what is needed. What size fuse is needed?

If you look at the photo, you'll notice that there is a blackened area on the bars at the front of the baler. Is there a hydraulic hose located in that area that would cause this?

I will have to travel a couple hundred miles one way to pick this up, so I was hoping to learn what to look for before I go for it. I haven't contacted the owner yet, only the brother-in-law who listed the baler online. It's being sold because the owner got out of cattle.

Been using 605J for a long time. They are pretty good balers. Belts are turned so you can see in the chamber. I am using a Ford 5000 to bale with now. They have a monitor to control the twine arms, it has a plug to go to the baler. The monitor is hooked to a live wire on tractor. They don't work well if moisture is to high, wraps on start roller. Would be glad to answer any other questions.

I have a 605J baler. They are a pretty good baler but are getting older. I think they started making them about 1991. I don't know how many years they built them. I haven't had much trouble with it, if you get the bale started even. I don't often have any trouble with hay wrapping on the start roller.

The moniter box connects to the baler with a cable you just need to connect it to the tractors electrical system. Mine don't have the drive right-drive, drive left lights, just the bale moniter.

Looks like that baler has the bale ejecter, it is run with a hydraulic moter on the uper left side. Mine dosen't, I have to back up before ejecting a bale.

I bought mine used at a farm sale about 10 years ago, I did put in a set of new belts a couple years ago, that cost about $1400. haven't had a lot of other expense with it.

I believe these balers cost about $13000 when new, about 1/2 of what a new baler costs today. I believe they sell on the lots today for $4000 to $4500.

I've always heard they were great balers... Just watch the bearings right?? Isn't there something about them having a certain kind of bearing?? I keep forgetting to ask hubby..... Maybe it's a sleep deprived thingy.....

Aaron said:
Most 605J seem to list in the $4000 to $6000 range. This one is $2900. If it has a kicker, that is just a bonus. :D

Have ya seen it?? Take a friend and look it over.. Four eyes are better than two... Ask how many bales have been through it??? I promise I will ask hubby tonite when he comes in.......

Latest posts