• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Vermeer 605N question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Does anyone have one? Ours doesn't seem to make right shaped bales. Even on perfect windows the bales misshaped.
Is the roller drum not centered correctly? Has it always done this or just start? Also, I have read that if you bale too slow then the bales may be misformed due to baler speed VS tractor speed. You might ask your neighbor Bill. I think he used to work for an ag equipment repair.

Last edited:
I'm familiar with the XL and M, but not the N. I know you said you have trouble even on perfect windrows, but every time I've had trouble with bale shape, the problem has been with the rake or rake operator. But, that's a later model baler, so the dual chamber or some other 'new and improved' technology could be giving you trouble.

If you haven't already done so, try a google site search at newagtalk.com and haytalk.com. Something with simple search terms should get you somewhere:

site:newagtalk.com 605n shape
site:haytalk.com 605n shape

Both have a lot of Vermeer guys that are pretty knowledgeable. If you don't find anything with a search, start a thread and give more details like the specific shape you're getting, etc. Pretty sure somebody at one of those sites has seen the same thing.

Good luck. Nothing more aggravating than having to troubleshoot a baler when your hay is ready to go. You eventually decide to hell with it and put it up, anyway, and that just pisses you off for the rest of the year every time you look at it. Been there, done that.

I'm familiar with the XL and M, but not the N. I know you said you have trouble even on perfect windrows, but every time I've had trouble with bale shape, the problem has been with the rake or rake operator. But, that's a later model baler, so the dual chamber or some other 'new and improved' technology could be giving you trouble.

If you haven't already done so, try a google site search at newagtalk.com and haytalk.com. Something with simple search terms should get you somewhere:

site:newagtalk.com 605n shape
site:haytalk.com 605n shape

Both have a lot of Vermeer guys that are pretty knowledgeable. If you don't find anything with a search, start a thread and give more details like the specific shape you're getting, etc. Pretty sure somebody at one of those sites has seen the same thing.

Good luck. Nothing more aggravating than having to troubleshoot a baler when your hay is ready to go. You eventually decide to hell with it and put it up, anyway, and that just pisses you off for the rest of the year every time you look at it. Been there, done that.
Thanks, I'll check them out. This is heavy non raked grain hay. The bale shape isn't horrible, just not perfect. May be partially because it so dry.

Your swather must be laying down close to the correct
width to get a bale that holds together. Raking to match
your baler width closer should get you a nice shape bale.
This might help.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll check them out. This is heavy non raked grain hay. The bale shape isn't horrible, just not perfect. May be partially because it so dry.
Like MC and BMR pointed out, I think it's always going to be hard to have a well-shaped round bale when baling swaths. They're probably always going to be a bit barrel-shaped or lopsided without raking to make a really uniform windrow. But, I understand not wanting to rake that kind of hay, so I'd probably just live with it. Still frustrating, though. Now that I think about it, most things about hay season are frustrating.

We think it may partly that there are some plates we can put on the swather (Hesston 8020) auger to make a more uniform windrow. The neighbor did it to his and said it makes a flatter windrow. By the way...the same neighbor broke an axle on his swather so borrowed ours. The next day the axle broke on ours . Hopefully will be fixed before the second crop alfalfa is ready.

Latest posts