• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Vern Gosdin Song??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TimH

Reaction score
I heard an old Vern Gosdin song on the radio today and I can't think of what the name of it is. It's got me flustered.
It is about playing a song over and over on the jukebox.
The chorus goes something like...." set-em up Joe and play walkin' the floor.." It is sort of a tribute to Ernest Tubb I believe.

I loved that song when it was first released maybe in the early '80's ?and hadn't heard it for a long time. It's got me bugged BIGTIME that I can't remember the title.
Oh ya... the first line goes..." they got a vintage Victrolla 1941...full of my favorite records that I grew up on..."
I'll bet that Mike from Alabama can help me out so as I can sleep tonight!!! :lol: :lol:

"Set 'em up Joe" was released in 1988

"B-24" in the song was the number on the jukebox of "Walkin the Floor" (by E. Tubb) at the local bar.

He was referring to Joe, the bartender, setting up his buddies with a drink and playing "B-24" or "Walkin the Floor" over, and over, and over.

AH, the Voice ------------------------------------------------

They got a vintage victrola 1951

Full of my favorite records that I grew upon

They got ole Hank and Lefty and there's B24

Set 'em up Joe, they're playin Walkin the Floor

Chorus
I'm gonna spend the night like every night before

Play a new tune and I'll play 'em some more

I've gotta have a shot of them old troubadors

2nd verse
All my neon neighbors they like what I play
Cause they've heard it every night since you've walked away
Every day they replace old B24
Cause every night i run a needle through Walking the Floor
Every night i run a needle through Walking the Floor
Chorus

Hope you sleep like a baby! :wink:

..."Everyday they replace old B-24...
'Cause every night I run the needle through Walkin' the Floor.."

Thanks Mike!!!! Now I can sleep tonight!!! Only 27 calves left to come and the weather has been great for calving!!!

Ah.... The Voice...........YUP!!!! :D :D :D

Vern Gosdin,Ray Price, Gary Stewert...... Nobody today sings like those golden oldiey singers. Tammy Wynett, Connie Smith, Patsy Cline...... Those gals had a maturity in their voice that you never hear anymore.

I listened to some classic country the other day over the Native American station and I'd forgot how great those old songs were. they weren't these panzey, feel good songs that try to make you cry for Ma Ma, no these were about drinking and cheatin' and stuff we were all raised up on.

Any more if it isn't Western or Cowboy music, I look for rock and roll. :wink:

every sunday evening they play the oldies on our station here. And I listened closely for the first time to "El Paso" ( Marty Robbind , I think) that song would make one EXCELLENT movie......

of course they blend in Waylon, Willie, Johnny, the Bellamy Brothers.....all the stuff I heard as a kid, before I went to the Heavy Metal phase of high school. the other station here plays 80's rock at noon.....I would be the idiot bouncing around in the tractor cab with the Ozzy or Van Halen turned up a bit!

The owner of the local watering hole told me the other day that the jukebox guys are finding many of those old Marty Robbins, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, etc. recordings hard or impossible to find--not enough demand for their companies to stock them... Another era passing-Whiskey won't quite taste the same without them......

Remember "Boots were made for walkin"? We could really stomp the dust out of the ceiling to that tune at the country dances!!

Isn't it a shame that kids don't get to go to country dances anymore with their parents? When you grew up doing that, it was SPECIAL. And you got to dance with your DAD! Then you drove home in the moonlight and you were tired and sleepy, but it was worth every minute. You slept on the coats that were on the chairs against the wall if you got too sleepy. Then they would carry you out to the car~

Sometimes there were sandwiches served at midnight. Sometimes they'd pass the hat to keep the band playing longer. So much good, clean, family fun!!!

Gosh, thanks for the memories!!!

jigs said:
every sunday evening they play the oldies on our station here. And I listened closely for the first time to "El Paso" ( Marty Robbind , I think) that song would make one EXCELLENT movie......

of course they blend in Waylon, Willie, Johnny, the Bellamy Brothers.....all the stuff I heard as a kid, before I went to the Heavy Metal phase of high school. the other station here plays 80's rock at noon.....I would be the idiot bouncing around in the tractor cab with the Ozzy or Van Halen turned up a bit!

do you sing into the loader joystick like its a microphone on stage???

Saddletramp said:
Vern Gosdin,Ray Price, Gary Stewert...... Nobody today sings like those golden oldiey singers. Tammy Wynett, Connie Smith, Patsy Cline...... Those gals had a maturity in their voice that you never hear anymore.

I listened to some classic country the other day over the Native American station and I'd forgot how great those old songs were. they weren't these panzey, feel good songs that try to make you cry for Ma Ma, no these were about drinking and cheatin' and stuff we were all raised up on.

Any more if it isn't Western or Cowboy music, I look for rock and roll. :wink:

Especially the 70's stuff - Loved the good CW out of that time, (Charlie Pride (Kiss an angel good mornin', Kaw-Liga) loved to jitterbug to that music, in Colo every Sat night would be a dance at a grange hall somewhere nearby, used to make most of them in High School - loved them, what wonderful memories. I also like 70's rock n roll the best, too. Glad I was in high school early 70's, the best music was created!!!! Lots of good memories there, too.

I have seen vern twice in the last year or so. He has gotton old but can still sing. Keep an eye out for him. He is traveling with his show again. If you get a chance he is worth the trip to see him.
"If your gona do me wrong do it right."

Latest posts