• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Vers 4400 Swather - Engine Troubles

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PureCountry

Reaction score
Good day all,
If anyone has some knowledge/experience with the Ford Inline 6 in these Versatile 4400 Swathers, I'd sure appreciate some help. I've got 200 acres of swath grazing to cut and I've been working on this swather all morning to no avail.

I've got fuel, but no spark. Tried arking a spark plug to the block while turning the engine over and there's nothing. Tried a different spark plug - still nothing. I have no experience with points and such in the distributor cap, and I do not think my chances are good of finding another dist. cap like this one to replace it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
PC.

I think you should be able to find parts for those Ford Industrial engine's, I had an older Vers. model 400 and used to get most parts fot the engine from NAPA here in SD, there sure was a lot of them made and I think some Ford pickups used the same parts. Good luck 101

picked up a cap,rotor,points,condensor,wires and plugs at the local auto value. made a big difference to my old 400. same 200 cu in engine as yours.

Well, interesting day. THOUGHT I had fuel, guess I was wrong. Had fuel to the fuel filter - inline filter - but it wasn't pumping. Fuel pump is shot after all. Of course, I discovered this after spending the day replacing the points, condenser, plugs and various other things, including a bunch of wiring from the ignition. Got spark everywhere I wanted it, and at about 10 to 5 pulled the fuel pump off and realized it's dry.

So now I can't get one ordered until tomorrow, which means I won't have it until Thursday. Baahhh!!! :mad:

NR - Gratton Coulee didn't have any. They don't carry much stock in swathers and mowers. I've found that out over the years. Luckily the local parts store had everything I need, except the knowledge of a mechanic. :lol:

Northern Rancher said:
I had a buddy spent a couple hundred troubleshooting ignition problems till it was revealed he needed gas in the tank lol.

Now that is just hilarious.

Although your buddy probably didn't find it so funny. :cry: :oops:

do yourself a favor PC...when you're done with that 4400 for the season, park it somewhere out of sight and never touch it again. we had one at one time, and i DON'T miss it.

Funny you should recommend that Justin, that's what Dad and Grandad did with it 21 years ago. I pulled it out 7 years ago and with a little gas down the carb it fired up and ran like a top. I've only cut 100-200 acres/year with it since, and last year it cost me $ for the first time. Replaced the starter and the drive belt for the hydrostatic drive, this year a little more. All in all, if it costs me $100 in misc distributor and coil parts and a fuel pump($36) this year, it's still far cheaper than having it custom cut @ $12-16/acre.

PureCountry said:
Funny you should recommend that Justin, that's what Dad and Grandad did with it 21 years ago. I pulled it out 7 years ago and with a little gas down the carb it fired up and ran like a top. I've only cut 100-200 acres/year with it since, and last year it cost me $ for the first time. Replaced the starter and the drive belt for the hydrostatic drive, this year a little more. All in all, if it costs me $100 in misc distributor and coil parts and a fuel pump($36) this year, it's still far cheaper than having it custom cut @ $12-16/acre.

PC, I splurged this year, bought a Versatile 400 to help out our old 4400, we cut around 900 acres, did a bit of fixing but usually had at least one of them running. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Dad had one of the first SP swathers up here a Versatile 103 I think it was-came close to demolishing the fuel stand the first time he tried to back in and fuel up lol. If you are handy enough to nursemaid that old stuff can do the job-knocking down stuff for swath grazing isn't a real race with the clock. our neighbors have a JD swather parked by the highway for sale it's the model after the 800's I think. It's cut a fair amount but should be in good shape as they are meticulous at keeping things fixed.

A neighbour told me a couple years back that if I took my time into account I'd be farther ahead hiring it done as the custom swather would do in 1 day what I do in 3. I told him that then I wouldn't have the chance to teach my kids how to swath, or how to cuss at inanimate objects when they break down with 5 acres left, just to spite you of course.

To each their own, but there are always times when you just can't find someone to do everything for you. :wink:

They want about $7000 to chop my corn I will spend $1300 on fuel to get it chopped a $150 on oil and grease and normally $500 a year on parts.It takes about 5 days with my antique equipment but at a $1000 per day wages I'll take it. I do trade help with friends to have a crew when we get to chopping.I've got about $5000 in my chopper,high-dump and silage truck.

Latest posts