• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

vin #

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
This is true in my area, I called too.

The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write
>down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership
>and request a duplicate key based on the VIN#.
>
>I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a dealership and pretended I had
>lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut
>me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.
>
>You would think the Dealerships would require verification first. Seems
>that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck
>without any effort at all.
>
>The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #,
>and collect payment from the thief, who will return to your car. He doesn't
>have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to
>himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key, and off
>he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.
>
>To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape,
>duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located inside
>the windshield on the dash board.
>
>By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be
>viewed through the windshield by a car thief.
>

I'm probably safe- Usually have enough gloves, used syringes, medicine bottles, notebooks, tools, grandkid toys, and junk laying up there they couldn't see it-- Who'd want to steal a Dodge anyway :lol:

If they did, they'd bring it back! Hearing you talk about the dash of your truck reminds me of the Elmo and Flo cartoons. Kind of like my farm truck too, room enough in it for me to drive and that's about it! My husband has filled it with so much junk and I refuse to clean it out. He put it there, he can take it out!

I can relate to that!!! When the boys where small we called our everyday pickup the playpen. We had toys hung from the gun rack and toys stuck on the windows.... Those where the days.........

I saw a contest in a magazine once for the dirtiest farm truck. We should have acontest like that on here. My truck isn't dirty, just a lot of Tim Horton's cups still to have the "rim rolled up" I could be sitting on two new GMC envoys and don't know it. That reminds me, the Supercrews gather more junk than anything!

The thing that gets me is that you clean it out and the next time you drive it, you need something you just took out...If you never clean it out your ready for anything IMO.

so...our ranch truck is not the only one that can manage to carry an entire family of 6, a fully loaded "vet clinic", 2 dogs, a case of soda pop, a large coleman cooler, 2 thermos full of coffee, a .22 for gophers or coyotes, receipts for gas and other ranch equiptment and still have the truck bed empty??! :wink: ours is not even a quad cab...just a simple extended cab that manages to fit more "junk" than my subaru outback! :D as for the vin# theives....they had a program on one of those news magazines (either 20/20 or dateline) regarding this very issue...sad but true!!!

Recently a friend of ours from Rapid City stopped by and spent the day. He saw an old '86 Ford that we still have that's been retired for quite a while, but mostly just gets used to get bulls out when breeding season is over. His smart a$$ remark was "Holy S**t, I hope nobody got killed in that wreck"!

In the Springtime some people are using their cars as mini-greenhouses to get their peat-potted seedlings started. Nice and warm, sunny. Some working folks will drive their seedlings to work and re-position the car at noon to catch the rays better.

Latest posts